This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ps4 can't play/rip music CD's, will MS make that HUGE mistake on Xboxnext?

#111TheBlueStigPosted 2/24/2013 5:24:37 PM
Supernautus posted...
Not sure why you quoted me in that part because I wasn't talking about USB drives, but in most cases, whilst playing a game and streaming (either a playlist or whichever part of my music library the xbox selects) I'm not worried about the order an album is playing in, because I usually listen to a portion of my music on random.

If I want to listen to an album in order from start to finish I put it in a device which is a dedicated music player (such as a cd player), and sit down without distraction to listen, for anything I've downloaded, I listen to it on the computer.

You cannot create a playlist from a streaming device, but you CAN use any playlist which is saved on your computer simply by selecting it from the menu on your xbox. so if you really want playlists, save them on your computer for streaming before playing them.

Streaming is NOT always an option, I shouldn't have to have the computer up and running or a dedicated MP3 player hooked up draining it's battery for hours just to listen to my own music while playing games.

Adding the ability to rip and play music is NOT a big thing to do, so there's no logical reason not to want it added.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#112ILikesCheesePosted 2/24/2013 9:26:25 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
Streaming is NOT always an option, I shouldn't have to have the computer up and running or a dedicated MP3 player hooked up draining it's battery for hours just to listen to my own music while playing games.

You know what I do when I play a game but want to listen to music? I push the little "CD"or "MP3" button on my receiver and listen to the CD player or IPod, which is in a charging cradle so I don't ever have to worry about battery issues. Shocking, I know. And so complicated.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#113CapwnDPosted 2/24/2013 9:29:13 PM
CaPwnD posted...
I use an old version of Nero. In the Extras>>Encode files.

Isn't that program like...really resource happy? And kinda spywarey?

No not the retail versions. Never had any problems with spyware. Resources... I'm only running it when I'm burning or ripping.

Since its a flac file what is the Kbps? And will my Android phone be able to play it?

Flacs are going to be too big for phones, you won't have much room. And if you're listening from a phone, chances are the device you are listening through isn't going to benefit from a FLAC over a 328kbps mp3.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#114kungfucolinPosted 2/24/2013 11:04:27 PM
.I'm really confused by the fact that the PS4 won't be compatible with CDs.

Me too.
CD's are still the primary form of physical music media.

*by the way, CD's DO have sections of 'perfect silence' because of noise gates used in recording, and mixing down in post production. why do I know this? I have recorded three albums.

That being said - Vinyl Records audio is superior in many ways, and even better is reel-to reel wide magnetic tape.
However, CD's are vastly superior to regular mp3 quality (128-196 kb/s) and still over 3 times better audio quality than 320 kbps mp3's.

CD's aren't dead just yet.
---
Latest Video: Kungfu Arcade #8: Sunset Riders
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1IaS7qATHg
#115Halo_ForeverPosted 2/25/2013 1:08:19 AM
Reel_Big_Mike posted...
People still buy and listen to physical CDs?

Yep. Downloadable music can go and screw itself for all I care.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#116SupernautusPosted 2/25/2013 5:05:29 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
Supernautus posted...
Not sure why you quoted me in that part because I wasn't talking about USB drives, but in most cases, whilst playing a game and streaming (either a playlist or whichever part of my music library the xbox selects) I'm not worried about the order an album is playing in, because I usually listen to a portion of my music on random.

If I want to listen to an album in order from start to finish I put it in a device which is a dedicated music player (such as a cd player), and sit down without distraction to listen, for anything I've downloaded, I listen to it on the computer.

You cannot create a playlist from a streaming device, but you CAN use any playlist which is saved on your computer simply by selecting it from the menu on your xbox. so if you really want playlists, save them on your computer for streaming before playing them.

Adding the ability to rip and play music is NOT a big thing to do, so there's no logical reason not to want it added.

My computer is always up and running so streaming is always an option for me, it's not like having your computer turned on is some major inconvenience.
#117dj___rollPosted 2/25/2013 12:50:36 PM
Quote:From: TheGam3925 | #007
Digital is the way to go.

CDs are digital. Derp.

What you meant to say is "compressed audio is great because my ears suck at not sucking and don't know the difference"

@CaPwnD

Yeah because everyone listens to uncompressed ripped audio CDs through a stereo to always get the full effect... Even with a stereo, the space it takes up isn't worth it for most people either.

Hate to break it to you, but almost everybody uses their tv speakers. Through those, the difference is negligible. It's nice to be able to pump it through the stereo. I like to for some games to get surround sound. But mostly I play through the tv speakers.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#118TheBlueStigPosted 2/25/2013 2:40:28 PM
dj___roll posted...
Hate to break it to you, but almost everybody uses their tv speakers.

Except for the hundreds of thousands of people who bought high quality wired and wireless headsets. Even a mediocre set of headphones or earbuds is light years better than 99% of all TV speakers.

Supernautus posted...
My computer is always up and running so streaming is always an option for me, it's not like having your computer turned on is some major inconvenience.

Mine isn't, and I'd bet it's the same for most people.

Plus if you take your system to a friend's house, streaming from your computer is impossible at that point.

If a system has a HDD built into it, there's no reason that music ripping shouldn't be an option. The space is there, the ability is there, deliberately blocking it is useless and stupid and is the true mark of a Draconian hardware maker who wants to control what you can and cannot do with their hardware after you bought it.....like Sony.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#119CapwnDPosted 2/25/2013 3:14:32 PM
Plus if you take your system to a friend's house, streaming from your computer is impossible at that point.

I stream from my Iphone. All I have to do is get on my friends WIFI network and I can stream to his 360 or even his computer.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#120ILikesCheesePosted 2/25/2013 3:20:32 PM
dj___roll posted...
Hate to break it to you, but almost everybody uses their tv speakers. Through those, the difference is negligible. It's nice to be able to pump it through the stereo. I like to for some games to get surround sound. But mostly I play through the tv speakers.

Not to be combative, but are you thick or something?

No, "almost everybody" does NOT use their TV speakers. I don't have an audio system with a mid-range receiver and a pair of mains, a center, a sub, and two sats all by Polk so I can listen through my TV speakers. Hell, the speakers that came standard in my Pontiac 20 years ago were better than any TV speaker on the market these days.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?