This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Generation Games!

#1HeLeehamPosted 2/23/2013 8:58:22 AM
Hey peeps, it's a Saturday and I'm in one of those lazy moods so I've decided to do the old classic. What are your top 10 games of this gen but with a little twist. List below your 10 favourite games of this gen so far (with a description of why if you want) and then list any up coming games you think might crack the list. I'll make another topic towards the end of the gen and we'll see if anythings changed. So here's mine....

1. Assassins Creed 2 - AC2 for me is pretty much the best sequel of this generation. Although I actually liked AC1 I thought the differences were incredible. Ubisoft really listened to the fans on this one and improved pretty much everything that I didn't like about the first game.

2. Fallout 3 - I haven't played any of the previous Fallout games so this was a completely new experience for me but man was it ever an awesome one. From the moment you step out of that vault the game had me hooked. I felt like I was a part of this world and that it was my job to decide the worlds fate. Fallout is also one of those games where the DLC was more then worth getting.

3. Batman Arkham City - Before the Batman Arkham games it was pretty much thought that basing a game off of another source was an instant failure. Rocksteady proved this wrong with the first Arkham game and then again with the (IMO) improved sequel. I actually cannot fault these games at all. I can't imagine a game that makes you feel more like you are Batman.

4. Deadly Premonition - As a big fan of the Dreamcast, DP was a little slice of nostalgic heaven for me. It reminded me so much of the old character fuelled games from the DC like Shenmue. Sure the game has its faults in gameplay but its leagues above any game in characters and story telling.

5. Mass Effect 2 - Mass Effect is one of those games where it's just epic from start to finish. There's not one slow point in the game for me. I struggled to get into the first Mass Effect but when I played the second everything just clicked and I loved every bit of it.

6. Darksiders 2 - DS2 for me is the most inspired game of the generation. It's a direct nod to the classic adventure games we love like Zelda. For me what really makes the game is the puzzles. I love a game with a good puzzle. It's the reason why I love point and clicks and the reason why I'm not a fan of the new Resident Evils. Nothing is more satisfying for me then solving the puzzle. Every dungeon in DS2 feels like one big unique puzzle and its a shame that companies don't realise how talented that team was since no one has bought the developers.

7. Lost Odyssey - Turn based JRPG's have unfortunately become a thing of the past this gen. Luckily we managed to get one more before they went away and else couldn't have really asked for one much better. Sure the game has some annoying characters but the RPG elements are implement so well that it more then makes up for it.

8. Just Cause 2 - if you're looking for a game that is just pure fun, this is it. JC2 is my go to game when I want to just shut my brain off and have a good time blowing stuff up. The grappling hook works perfectly and there is so much content in the game that its tough to get bored of this one.

9. Battlefield 3 - BF3 is by far my most played game this gen. If you're planning on playing with a group of friends there's no better online experience in my opinion. The game puts such a heavy influence of teamwork. Me and my friends have had no end of fun working together on this one.

10. The Walking Dead - it's been said before but no other game has had such an emotion impact on the player this gen. Not only that but I haven't cared for any other characters as much this gen.

Possible future top 10's

GTA V
Animal Crossing
Harvest Moon a new beginning
Pokemon Y
#2RPG_ApostlePosted 2/23/2013 9:01:50 AM
Personally, I'd replace Just Cause 2 with Far Cry 3 and swap the positions of Mass Effect 2 and The Walking Dead.
---
Then mark him if he violates the rules and shut up. Baseman, GameFAQs Moderator
#3DarkSymbiotePosted 2/23/2013 9:10:19 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4HeLeeham(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 9:14:51 AM
RPG_Apostle posted...
Personally, I'd replace Just Cause 2 with Far Cry 3 and swap the positions of Mass Effect 2 and The Walking Dead.

And then your list would be the same?
#5Arucard05Posted 2/23/2013 9:25:13 AM
I'll stick to one game per franchise...

Deadly Premonition
Uncharted 2
Mass Effect 2
Dragon Age: Origins
Yakuza 3
Bioshock
Portal 2
GTA IV
Red Dead Redemption
Fallout 3

My new favorite game of all time, Persona 4, misses the list by being both a last gen game and a next gen game.

Future games that could crack the list:

The Last of Us
GTA V
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
It's better than bad.
#6HambodiasPosted 2/23/2013 9:54:53 AM
This is Xbox 360 only.

1. Red Dead Redemption - One of the best games I've ever played, great story, fantastic graphics, damn near perfectly nailed the wild west setting, gameplay on point, and had a fairly fun multiplayer. John Marston is also one of the most bad ass mother ******'s ever. Also the emotion at the end with a plot twist that no one saw coming. Almost infinite replayability with the random events and bounty's and it's gonna take you a while to 100% the main game and Undead Nightmare and Multiplayer

2. Mortal Kombat- Many will not agree, but this, to me, was the best fighter. I am a little of a MK fanboy, but I have spent countless hours playing this game. NetherRealm Studios really nailed it this time. Great online multiplayer, first good story mode in a fighting game in a long time, fighting mechanics were top teir and the support of the game was fantastic.

3. Skyrim - Well what is not to like about this game. Countless hours to waste playing this game, can be fun for casual, or hardcore players. great support from bethesda with all the DLC. A little glitchy but what great game isnt? Basically one of the best,

4. The Walking Dead - TellTale handled this game great. I am yet to beat it (on the last episode right now) but so far it is looking to be one of the best games/interactive movie's i've played. The story is great and the way the game can make you emotionally attached to Clementine is showing how far games can take it.

5. Batman: Arkham City - Takes what Rocksteady did in Arkham Asylum and expands and perfects it. With a good story that can comic type story with flavors from the animated series and the Dark Knight trilogy. A beautiful open world environment, and gameplay mechanics that look almost like a flawless choreographed fight. Also a nice little twist at the end that will shock the any Batman fan.

6. BioShock - Although I didn't like the game as much as others did, I still think this game is great. I got caught up in the world of Rapture, the story was done well and Andrew Ryan is one of the best villains of this generation. The plot twist that catches damn near everybody. and gameplay that is more addicting that all the ADAM in the world.

7. Bayonetta - Well what to say about Bayonetta. A damn near perfect hack and slash. its mechanics make it addicting and its story is extremely over the top and never takes itself too seriously. Platinum Games nailed the hack n slash genre right on the dot with this game with tons of replayability and a deep combat system.

8. Halo 4 - A lot and I mean a lot of people will not agree with this. But even though this game started off slow when it came out, 343 has picked it up off the ground and has made it the best Halo to date. They kept supporting it and changed Halo for the better. With the multiplayer improving, a great and challenging campaign and a fun story spin-off with Spartan Ops, what isn't there to like about this game

9. Gears of War 3 - Well, this game took what Gears fans have always wanted. A great story to end the battle between the COG, Lambent, and Locust. The multiplayer was great and shows how much dedicated servers can benefit a game. Horde mode was addicting and the upgrade system made me want to keep on playing. Beast mode was a fun little thing but wasn't spectacular.

10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - This game was great. It was the community that ruined it. It's single player was another throw away story and Spec Ops was laughable at best. But what really made this game was its addictive multiplayer. It was done perfectly but it was the community that chose to exploit every little thing they could but it was also on IW for not supporting the game well enough to stop them.

honorable mentions: Castle Crashers, Portal 2, Assassins Creed 2, Boderlands, LA Noire, Mass Effect 2
Possible future top 10's: Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto 5.
---
Dertbag Design
#7HeLeeham(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 10:02:50 AM
Great list and good descriptions Hambodias. Red Dead would have been one of my honourable mentions as well as borderlands. I also think MW2 was a fantastic game. I even liked the campaign
#8CyricsServantPosted 2/23/2013 10:27:22 AM(edited)
I guess I'll stick with one game a franchise . . .

1. Valkyria Chronicles
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Dark Souls (I consider Demon's Souls part of the same series, so it's excluded)
4. Batman: Arkham City (Sorry Asylum, I love you too)
5. Bioshock

This is the point where is starts getting hard for me. This part of the list could change depending on my mood.

6. Infamous
7. Super Meat Boy
8. Fallout: New Vegas (the more I think about it, the more I realize I enjoyed FNV more than FO3:GotY)
9. Alpha Protocol
10. Little King's Story

Very honorable mentions include: No More Heroes, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Bastion, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Skyward Sword, Portal 2, Dishonored, Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead, Zack & Wiki, Asura's Wrath, Uncharted 2, Silent Hill: Downpour, NIER, and Hotline: Miami.

Games that might crack my list:

Persona ****ing 5!
Bioshock: Infinite
#9HambodiasPosted 2/23/2013 10:39:27 AM
Great list and good descriptions Hambodias. Red Dead would have been one of my honourable mentions as well as borderlands. I also think MW2 was a fantastic game. I even liked the campaign

well the campaign was fun for what was worth. it just looks mediocre to me because there were so many games on that list with great campaign modes that it made it look weak
---
Dertbag Design
#10SunDevil77Posted 2/23/2013 10:46:56 AM
1. Uncharted 2
2. Assassins Creed 2
3. World of Warcraft
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Bioshock
6. Skyrim
7. Xenoblade Chronicles
8. Red Dead Redemption
9. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
10. Halo 3

In no particular order.

For the future?
Pokemon X/Y
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
GTA 5
Bioshock Infinite
Destiny
---
Royale with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.