This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Generation Games!

#11YodaCrackersPosted 2/23/2013 10:00:46 AM
I had to split this into two posts because I got carried away and wrote too much:

1. Grand Theft Auto IV
Liberty City is by miles the most immersive and intricately detailed city ever in an open world game. The game is so insanely detailed and polished with the highest presentation values possible. The most satisfying physics and the perfect driving controls make playing the game a joy. Unrivaled dialogue and storytelling for open world games. They used to say GTA, particularly San Andreas, was "the jack of all trades but master of none", but with GTA IV they became the master of all because everything they tackled in the game was done with superb quality. There is consistent quality throughout the entire game, nothing is half-assed. The only game I can always go back to this gen and never get tired of. And the best DLC for any game as well.

2. Red Dead Redemption
Shares the exact same qualities as GTA IV. Superb physics. If GTA IV is the kind of open world urban games, then RDR is the king of open world rural games, if that's a thing. A very compelling story, although it may drag a bit in Mexico. The most beautiful open world ever, with stunning sunrises and sunsets, scarily realistic thunderstorms that roll in from the distance, with flashing lightning in the clouds and rumbling thunder, breathtaking desert vistas, and intricately detailed landscapes. It can't get much more immersive than this.

3. Super Mario Galaxy
Probably the most "pure fun" game I have played this gen. Not worried about the graphics (although the game is gorgeous) or following some deep, complicated story, or watching cutscene after cutscene between short bursts of gameplay... none of that stuff. Just a game you can sit back and have fun with. There is no gamer that can't enjoy this, it is truly for everyone. Wonderful gameplay. I just had to collect all 242 stars. Note: I sold my Wii before SMG2's release so I have never played the sequel.

4. The Walking Dead
It's hardly a game in the traditional sense, and what real little gameplay there is is not the best, but I never felt so invested in a video game story before or ever cared about the characters in such a way that even the smallest decisions I had to make were so impactful and emotional.

5. Super Meat Boy
The most infuriating game I have ever played and also one of the most satisfying. The controls are perfect and could not be any better. Instant respawns with no delay make dying 300 times in a row on a single level bearable. So much content, so many levels, so many broken controllers.
#12YodaCrackersPosted 2/23/2013 10:05:35 AM(edited)
6. Minecraft
I have only played the Xbox 360 version, but alone or with friends, for the creatively-minded, this is one of the most addictive games out there. I am not even that creative and prefer to stick to the survival mode, but in the creative mode there is no better sandbox in existence to create anything you can imagine.

7. L.A. Noire
The city has the perfect 1940's atmosphere. With the look and feel of the city, all the licensed vehicles from the era, it feels more authentic than any other video game city I have inhabited. The detective gameplay is a nice change of pace from all the other open world games I play, the facial animation technology is phenomenal and allows for the kind of interrogation gameplay that would not be possible without the minute detail in the faces and the actors' performances. A nice change of pace and with the highest presentation values and polish that you would expect from a Rockstar game. The only thing I disliked were the driving controls. I wish they were more like Mafia II's realistic take on vehicle physics for this era.

8. Gears of War 3
The most satisfying multiplayer experience I have ever had. The Gears gameplay is more visceral and satisfying than ever. None of that crap you see in most, if not all, MP shooters where the player who sees the other first gets the kill. Movement is key. It is most important to roll, bounce off of cover, and pull off all kinds of crazy **** to confuse your opponent. There is no other MP experience like this. There may be a sharper learning curve which can turn new players off, but once you understand how to fluidly move around the maps, it is a very unique experience and really the only MP component of a game I regularly return to and enjoy.

9. Portal 2
The best puzzle game I have ever played. So many creative puzzles, some completely mind-bending and difficult to solve. I'm so glad to have played through the entire game without once consulting a walkthrough. The writing and humor are great. The story does well to guide you from one puzzle to the next, from one compelling area to another, and to a crazy finale. The gameplay is superb and the co-op is a nice addition as well.

10. LIMBO
A short and mysterious game with not much replay value, but it is so dark and compelling with perfect controls and interesting puzzles all the way through the seamless experience. It feels perfectly balanced from start to end.

Future:
Grand Theft Auto V
The Last of Us
Beyond: Two Souls
#13bossk5Posted 2/23/2013 10:25:44 AM
1. Mass Effect
2.Fallout 3
3. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
4.Oblivion
5. Skyrim
6.Red Dead Redemption
7.Fallout NV
8. Demon's Souls
9.Too Human
10. Ninety Nine Nights 2

I can't really foresee any upcoming games cracking my list this late in the gen....but you never know.
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs, where trolls run rampant. I buy used games.Pacers 3- whatever...I give up
#14GorillaOnRoofPosted 2/23/2013 12:33:03 PM
HeLeeham posted...
Hey peeps, it's a Saturday and I'm in one of those lazy moods so I've decided to do the old classic. What are your top 10 games of this gen but with a little twist. List below your 10 favourite games of this gen so far (with a description of why if you want) and then list any up coming games you think might crack the list. I'll make another topic towards the end of the gen and we'll see if anythings changed. So here's mine....

1. Assassins Creed 2 - AC2 for me is pretty much the best sequel of this generation. Although I actually liked AC1 I thought the differences were incredible. Ubisoft really listened to the fans on this one and improved pretty much everything that I didn't like about the first game.

2. Fallout 3 - I haven't played any of the previous Fallout games so this was a completely new experience for me but man was it ever an awesome one. From the moment you step out of that vault the game had me hooked. I felt like I was a part of this world and that it was my job to decide the worlds fate. Fallout is also one of those games where the DLC was more then worth getting.

3. Batman Arkham City - Before the Batman Arkham games it was pretty much thought that basing a game off of another source was an instant failure. Rocksteady proved this wrong with the first Arkham game and then again with the (IMO) improved sequel. I actually cannot fault these games at all. I can't imagine a game that makes you feel more like you are Batman.

4. Deadly Premonition - As a big fan of the Dreamcast, DP was a little slice of nostalgic heaven for me. It reminded me so much of the old character fuelled games from the DC like Shenmue. Sure the game has its faults in gameplay but its leagues above any game in characters and story telling.

5. Mass Effect 2 - Mass Effect is one of those games where it's just epic from start to finish. There's not one slow point in the game for me. I struggled to get into the first Mass Effect but when I played the second everything just clicked and I loved every bit of it.

6. Darksiders 2 - DS2 for me is the most inspired game of the generation. It's a direct nod to the classic adventure games we love like Zelda. For me what really makes the game is the puzzles. I love a game with a good puzzle. It's the reason why I love point and clicks and the reason why I'm not a fan of the new Resident Evils. Nothing is more satisfying for me then solving the puzzle. Every dungeon in DS2 feels like one big unique puzzle and its a shame that companies don't realise how talented that team was since no one has bought the developers.

7. Lost Odyssey - Turn based JRPG's have unfortunately become a thing of the past this gen. Luckily we managed to get one more before they went away and else couldn't have really asked for one much better. Sure the game has some annoying characters but the RPG elements are implement so well that it more then makes up for it.

8. Just Cause 2 - if you're looking for a game that is just pure fun, this is it. JC2 is my go to game when I want to just shut my brain off and have a good time blowing stuff up. The grappling hook works perfectly and there is so much content in the game that its tough to get bored of this one.

9. Battlefield 3 - BF3 is by far my most played game this gen. If you're planning on playing with a group of friends there's no better online experience in my opinion. The game puts such a heavy influence of teamwork. Me and my friends have had no end of fun working together on this one.

10. The Walking Dead - it's been said before but no other game has had such an emotion impact on the player this gen. Not only that but I haven't cared for any other characters as much this gen.

Excellent list.
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 11/5/2011 6:06:56 PM:
Telling other users to smell your ass is trolling. End of story.
#15GorillaOnRoofPosted 2/23/2013 12:33:28 PM
RPG_Apostle posted...
Personally, I'd replace Just Cause 2 with Far Cry 3 and swap the positions of Mass Effect 2 and The Walking Dead.

That's an extremely crappy list.
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 11/5/2011 6:06:56 PM:
Telling other users to smell your ass is trolling. End of story.
#16RPG_ApostlePosted 2/23/2013 2:10:49 PM
HeLeeham posted...
RPG_Apostle posted...
Personally, I'd replace Just Cause 2 with Far Cry 3 and swap the positions of Mass Effect 2 and The Walking Dead.

And then your list would be the same?

As far as a list for games that defined this generation, it'd be a very similar list.

But my list of personal favorites would be different, as it's more based on personal taste at that point. I'd likely rate TWD as #1. Funny how only people that have actually played TWD, like us, actually "get" what other fans are talking when referring to why it's rated so highly.
---
Then mark him if he violates the rules and shut up. Baseman, GameFAQs Moderator
#17SunDevil77Posted 2/23/2013 2:22:36 PM
RPG_Apostle posted...
HeLeeham posted...
RPG_Apostle posted...

And then your list would be the same?

As far as a list for games that defined this generation, it'd be a very similar list.

But my list of personal favorites would be different, as it's more based on personal taste at that point. I'd likely rate TWD as #1. Funny how only people that have actually played TWD, like us, actually "get" what other fans are talking when referring to why it's rated so highly.

Ugh...I knew I forgot something. TWD is so close to being on mine, I just don't know where to put it D:
---
Royale with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#18Halochief6Posted 2/23/2013 2:30:38 PM
1. Fallout 3
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Gears of War 3
4. Halo 3
5. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
6. Bioshock
7. Borderlands (either honestly)
8. Crackdown 2
9. Saints Row 2
10. Enslaved: Oddyssey to the West

I don't really expect anything to change at this point at least not based on upcoming titles. The only thing I can imagine might have a shot is Bioshock: Infinite. I don't expect much out of GoW:J and Tomb Raider looks good not great. Beyond that I can't even think of anything else I want this year except for FUSE maybe but that looks like B material.
---
"Please explain to me how a dog can help a blind person see the difference in 720p to 1080p in tv sets under 32"?" - NakedSnake1986
#19Arucard05Posted 2/23/2013 3:24:52 PM
3. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

Man......I have to question my own list now. That game was crazy important to me.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Go there now! Or don't. Whatever man.
#20Eamon696Posted 2/23/2013 3:50:36 PM
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Halo 3
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
4. The Walking Dead
5. Grand Theft Auto: 4
6. Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
7. Mass Effect 3
8. Dragon Age: Origins