This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a point to paying $60 for a game after release week?

#1Halochief6Posted 2/23/2013 2:15:51 PM
I just thought about this so there could be a plethora of reasons I haven't yet thought of. But I'm wondering is there really a point to paying full retail price for a game if you're not getting within a week of its release?

I know people have lives and they are busy with things, that's why I'm not limiting it to day one purchases. I'm sure there are also exceptions, but my thinking is if you can wait over a week couldn't you wait maybe a month for it to go on sale? I mean some games go on sale after 2 weeks or a month so you could consider waiting and it may pay off.

I'm not sure. Like I said this just came to me so feel free to pick this apart and tell me I'm wrong or whatever it is you feel is appropriate to the situation.
---
"Please explain to me how a dog can help a blind person see the difference in 720p to 1080p in tv sets under 32"?" - NakedSnake1986
#2StarGoyPosted 2/23/2013 2:20:39 PM(edited)
60 is the price, in an ideal (for publishers) world, whether the game is 2 weeks or 2 years old. They drop in price for a multitude of reasons, the central of which isn't oldness or worth, but pricing competition in the used/online game sales market.

Saying that, I pay full price if and when I feel the game is worth it. I'd buy an old game for the RRP if I deemed it worthy (hasn't happened).
#3CaseyJonezPosted 2/23/2013 2:20:17 PM
Every time I see a topic like this I'm tempted to list reasons NOT to get the game until it goes on sale. I do this with great difficultly:

-hype
-multi-player with other players who are hyped about it
-reduced chance of having someone spoil plot for you
-special editions are limited
-take advantage of glitches before they are patched
---
Signature pending mod approval.
#4Boogs34Posted 2/23/2013 2:20:36 PM
StarGoy posted...
60 is the price, in an ideal (for publishers) world, whether the game is 2 weeks or 2 years old.

They drop in price for a multitude of reasons, the central of which isn't oldness or worth, but pricing competition in the used/online game sales market.

LOL
no they drop because the demand for $60 price point is captured at 60. It's time-sensitive price discrimination and most products have it, especially multimedia / tech products.
#5StarGoyPosted 2/23/2013 2:23:30 PM(edited)
Boogs34 posted...
StarGoy posted...
60 is the price, in an ideal (for publishers) world, whether the game is 2 weeks or 2 years old.

They drop in price for a multitude of reasons, the central of which isn't oldness or worth, but pricing competition in the used/online game sales market.

LOL
no they drop because the demand for $60 price point is captured at 60. It's time-sensitive price discrimination and most products have it, especially multimedia / tech products.

Remove the used game store, and the price can remain at 60 for a period beyond the current time-relative diminishing price point . . . potentially.
#6SunDevil77Posted 2/23/2013 2:23:17 PM
Depends on the game.
Halo games? They stay $60 for over a year sometimes, and sales don't come often (Halo 4 has been on sale often, though.)
Nintendo Developed games? S***. Some regular Wii games still MSRP for $50. Original DS games are still full price...

Ubisoft games though, they go on sale like...2 weeks after release.
---
Royale with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#7Halochief6(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 3:05:03 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
Depends on the game.
Halo games? They stay $60 for over a year sometimes, and sales don't come often (Halo 4 has been on sale often, though.)
Nintendo Developed games? S***. Some regular Wii games still MSRP for $50. Original DS games are still full price...

Ubisoft games though, they go on sale like...2 weeks after release.

That's true. That's why I said sometimes. It really does depend on the game.
---
"Please explain to me how a dog can help a blind person see the difference in 720p to 1080p in tv sets under 32"?" - NakedSnake1986
#8EternalskyPosted 2/23/2013 3:16:32 PM
No, unless you got to have it now or think it'll be hard too find and become super expensive.
#9TheBlueStigPosted 2/23/2013 3:17:36 PM
StarGoy posted...
Boogs34 posted...
StarGoy posted...

LOL

Remove the used game store, and the price can remain at 60 for a period beyond the current time-relative diminishing price point . . . potentially.

Wrong.

New games coming in would want to occupy the same space on the shelf, the price would still get dropped just to make room for new games.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#10Halochief6(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 3:31:58 PM
Eternalsky posted...
No, unless you got to have it now or think it'll be hard too find and become super expensive.

Right. Which really doesn't happen anymore.
---