This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which do you prefer: Regenerative Health or Health Bars?

#1TravarkothPosted 2/24/2013 10:52:56 AM
Which health system do you prefer? - Results (254 votes)
Regenerative Health.
28.74% (73 votes)
Health bars.
35.43% (90 votes)
I don't mind either one.
35.83% (91 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I think both have their pros and cons, but in the end - it doesn't matter to me, I can do either one.
---
What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?
--Bastila Shan
#2LerdothoughtPosted 2/24/2013 10:55:03 AM
regenerative health is for girls and grandpas
#3HambodiasPosted 2/24/2013 11:02:16 AM
I don't mind either one.

I do think it depends on the game. Some games need regenerating health to keep the pace of the game going. Like Red Dead, Gears of War, mainly shooters need regenerating health.

but on the other hand there are games that are more skill orientated and want to put more emphasis on staying alive. it adds more to the game. games like BioShock, Mass Effect 1, and the Resident Evil Series do this because they want to challenge the player more and it goes along with the themes of the game.
---
Dertbag Design
#4TheBlueStigPosted 2/24/2013 11:02:28 AM
Health bars and medpacks change the way you play, they make you play more carefully instead of Rambo style like regenerating health.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#5Ginsu VictimPosted 2/24/2013 11:04:22 AM
I like a combination of the two, where you only regenerate so much, but need a health kit to get back to normal.
---
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
#6Travarkoth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 11:06:05 AM
I like a combination of the two, where you only regenerate so much, but need a health kit to get back to normal.

Resistance: Fall of Man on the PS3 had an interesting health system. It was a mix of both, and your health bar is split into 4 sections. They heal up to a certain point, however you must pick up a health pack to replenish more. I think Mass Effect 3 has the health system as well.
---
What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?
--Bastila Shan
#7RycerXPosted 2/24/2013 11:08:00 AM
As usual, it depends on the nature of the game. Regenerating health would absolutely ruin something like Left 4 Dead. I'll admit I've always liked having to scavenge for health packs regardless, whether it be FPS or otherwise.

In the case of multiplayer, I find games that employ a type of hybrid regenerating health system seem to work pretty well, such as War for Cybertron, Aliens vs Predator or Halo CE. This way you're not totally screwed if you get torn up in a bad firefight, but at the same time things are balanced so that one really good player doesn't go around dominating everyone.

I'd think most "MLG" players would prefer regenerating health so as to eliminate luck as a factor and bring everything down to 100% skill. I happen to prefer a little luck and chance in my games.
#8PutHaggarInSFPosted 2/24/2013 11:17:26 AM
Neither. One hit kills.
---
http://i.minus.com/iyi2ItPQPd3Pm.gif Marn liiiiike
http://last.fm/user/AnathemaOfZos Gamertag: aGeorgeDivided
#9aj4x94Posted 2/24/2013 11:22:02 AM
I have always enjoyed the hybrid of both that games such as Resistance FOM, Mass Effect 3, Condemned 2, and Pariah used. Health bar split into 4-5 sections that will regenerate as long as it isn't completely empty.
---
Currently playing: COD: BOII, Hitman Absolution, Infamous Collection.
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94
#10JenniferTatePosted 2/24/2013 11:22:30 AM
Regenerative health if there's checkpoints.

Health bar if you can die and have to restart the level. Bonus points for limited lives so you might have to restart the game.
---
I can do it to you gently, I can do it with an animal's grace