This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which do you prefer: Regenerative Health or Health Bars?

#31scoobydoobydontPosted 2/24/2013 3:27:26 PM
Health bars are a relic. Unless your game is intentionally retro, a lifebar has no place in it regardless of genre.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#32HappyHappyJoyJoyPosted 2/24/2013 3:35:25 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
Health bars are a relic. Unless your game is intentionally retro, a lifebar has no place in it regardless of genre.

Not entirely true. Some genres are primarily about resource management ("survival horror" for instance) and thus bars/kits have a place there.
---
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo230/Notveryhappy/FoxNewsBrianWilson.jpg
#33scoobydoobydontPosted 2/24/2013 3:38:29 PM
HappyHappyJoyJoy posted...

Not entirely true. Some genres are primarily about resource management ("survival horror" for instance) and thus bars/kits have a place there.

NO!

*totally wins debate*
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#34knightimexPosted 2/24/2013 5:33:09 PM(edited)

Regenerative health is a crutch.
It's basically infinite life.

A life gauge can make situations very intense.
Health regen is all like "LOOOL YOLO"
---
Old School Games FTW!
#35The DevourerPosted 2/24/2013 6:19:34 PM
HappyHappyJoyJoy posted...

That just goes with what I said, well done application of it. Any game can do well with either but they need proper use to not be crap. In general regenerating health is the safe and better way to go though.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#36knightimexPosted 2/24/2013 6:22:32 PM
The Devourer posted...
In general regenerating health is the safe and better way to go though.

No.
Regen health robs the player of the need to move with caution taking away the feeling of urgency.
---
Old School Games FTW!
#37HappyHappyJoyJoyPosted 2/24/2013 6:41:24 PM
knightimex posted...
No.
Regen health robs the player of the need to move with caution taking away the feeling of urgency.

Incorrect. It only does that if the game was poorly balanced by the developers (or if you're playing on too low a difficulty). Any game with regenerating health is (or at least should be) designed to make every encounter potentially fatal if you screw the proverbial pooch. You don't use caution? You die almost instantly.

One could just as easily say that bars/kits remove the challenge because a player simply needs to move from pick up-to-pick up and can instantly restore health while under fire, and do so while tanking the damage being dealt because a properly balanced game using bars/kits will by default give you more resources to play with (since it's about resource management). And you know what? Often this is true but that's also a sign that the developers screwed up with balancing by providing either too large a resource pool, or too great a supply of pick ups.
---
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo230/Notveryhappy/FoxNewsBrianWilson.jpg
#38knightimexPosted 2/24/2013 8:05:43 PM
Pickups are limited and you can only do it so many times.
Regeneration is unlimited leaving the player with next to no fear.
---
Old School Games FTW!
#39Erupt50Posted 2/24/2013 8:08:49 PM
Does it really matter? That's the last thing I worry about when deciding if I like a game or not.
---
PSN- Erupt50 XBL- Erupt50
#40MR_SorenPosted 2/24/2013 8:10:38 PM
In order of preference:

One-hit kills
Health Bars
Regenerating Health

I couldn't vote because there wasn't an answer I liked.
---
Blog: .............. http://red-grenade.com
Gamertag: .... rjcarello