This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's looking more official that Gearbox stole money from Sega for their own work

#1Dragon NexusPosted 2/24/2013 5:21:59 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/gearbox-embezzled-aliens-colonial-marines-money-246558.phtml

Aliens: Colonial Marines seems to be the Superman IV of gaming.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#2Arucard05Posted 2/24/2013 5:24:29 PM
What a mess. It's looking like this project will do irreparable damage to their reputation.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Go there now! Or don't. Whatever man.
#3beautifuldreamsPosted 2/24/2013 5:31:06 PM
but they were so nice they gave their completionist, loot addicted fans lots of the $1 skins packs they asked for (borderlands 2)
---
nyuuuuuuuuu~
#4oasisbeyondPosted 2/24/2013 5:35:04 PM
Same guys who made Duke Nukem... What did you expect? PS: Don't let them finish any other projects , either they suck, or they have no time to do what they really want to.
#5Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 5:39:44 PM
It's a shame, I think.
I used to think Gearbox was some half-arsed developer, taking what already existed, tweaking it and making money from it (the Half Life expansions and the Halo PC version). I used to think they were some second rate developer who was good for porting stuff maybe but not a lot else.

Then Borderlands came out and they seemed to have picked up their game, become fullfledged developers. Sure it needed some work, but that's what sequels are for and I actually bought BL2 and really enjoyed it. Duke Nukem was forgivable because they didn't build it, they just put it together.
Randy seemed like a nice guy who honestly seemed to give a damn about gamers and giving gamers what they want instead of just going for the cash.

And then suddenly....they show they're exactly what I thought they were, and Randy's coming across as some child in denial. "I don't like being called a liar" he says...right after 5 years of lying. It's like the guys you see on the MS forum complaining of being banned "For absolutely NO reason!", like the very act of denying it hard enough will warp reality to fit his beliefs.

I was disappointed that A:CM was a bad game, but I was surprised at just how bad. I anticipated maybe 7s and the occasional 8, like one of those games where you could forgive a lot if you're a fan. But it's instead one of those games where you can only forgive it if you're a fan, and to hear of all the lies that went on behind this, it's made me not want to buy another Gearbox game again.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#6DoukouPosted 2/24/2013 5:43:50 PM
Randy wanted to take a shortcut to build Borderlands.
---
Don't read this sig.
#7DieMyBridePosted 2/24/2013 5:45:26 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
http://www.destructoid.com/gearbox-embezzled-aliens-colonial-marines-money-246558.phtml

Aliens: Colonial Marines seems to be the Superman IV of gaming.

superman 64 is the superman 4 of gaming.

Anyway I don't know why everyone expected the game to be any good. We rarely get any good games based off of movies.
---
XboxLive GT:JoeStillLife
#8lunchEATSyouPosted 2/24/2013 5:46:02 PM
That sounds like something that would happen in Wall Street.
---
Height has nothing to do with skin colour, but I know this girl that tans alot that is short...yeah get your brain looked it, someone needs to fix it- DemonDog
#9Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 5:51:04 PM
superman 64 is the superman 4 of gaming.

Not sure if you understand my analogy or not...

Superman IV was made by a company well known for taking investors money and putting it into other projects that weren't what the investor was paying for, which is why the film was kinda crappy and had something like 40 minutes worth of footage cut from the final release for monetary reasons.

I'm not simply saying "Superman 4 is crap and so is A:CM"

Unless Superman 64 had that same story of Titus taking money from the Superman 64 development and pouring it into their own project, in which case I apologise.

Same guys who made Duke Nukem... What did you expect? PS: Don't let them finish any other projects , either they suck, or they have no time to do what they really want to.

Er, no. 3D Realms made Duke Nukem Forever, Gearbox simply took the broken pieces and welded them together and released it to try and get some money back from the investors. It's somewhat forgivable, but it was still a bit of a slap for the fans paying full price for a blatently unfinished game. It should have released at $40 considering its history.

But A:CM was Gearbox's project from the start. They are accountable for the failure it became.
---
#10DieMyBridePosted 2/24/2013 5:58:45 PM
Is it getting to a point that an anonymous post is trustworthy?

This entire story needs to just die.

Hopefully Activision's Walking Dead game can take the heat when it releases. No way in hell is that gonna be any good. Also hope developers stop making so many licensed games.
---
XboxLive GT:JoeStillLife