This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Sleeping Dogs good?

#21YEMbotPosted 2/25/2013 4:52:12 PM
Wow, a lot of positive responses. I hated the demo, so it dropped off my radar.

Then again, it makes use of a lot of video games tropes I hate, such as "Chase someone you can't catch until the game script says you catch him" and "You can only kill this enemy if you block/ dodge/ press a specific button"

Same reason I don't play the Asscreed games.
---
"First come smiles, then lies. Last comes gunfire." -Roland Deschain, of Gilead
#22rockyoumonkeysPosted 2/25/2013 11:28:16 PM
YEMbot posted...

Then again, it makes use of a lot of video games tropes I hate, such as "Chase someone you can't catch until the game script says you catch him" and "You can only kill this enemy if you block/ dodge/ press a specific button"

1. I didn't mind the chase mechanic. It made it a little less stressful knowing I didn't actually have to catch the guy, I only had to keep up.

2. It's an almost identical fighting mechanic to Arkham City/Asylum. You either like it or you don't.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton
#23mastahjebusPosted 2/25/2013 11:35:20 PM
I felt that there was very little replay value. The DLC's are TERRIBLY overpriced as well, despite their good themes. Nightmare in North Point and the Zodiac Tournament literally took about 1 hour to complete, and I bought each at 5-6 bucks.

However, I must say this: The base game did take me about 20-30 hours to complete and it was very well written with some very fun gameplay mechanics. The fighting was very enjoyable, and the armed combat was quite fun too. Felt very much like Stranglehold, except this game was actually good.

DLC's
Nightmare in North Point: 2/10
Zodiac Tournament: 3/10

Base game: 8/10.

I'd say buy it if you can find it on sale for $20 or less. I paid $24.99 and I thought it was worth every penny.
---
"Your" = Possession | "You're" = You Are | "Their" = Possession | "They're" = They Are | "There" = Position
#24singhellotakuPosted 2/25/2013 11:53:48 PM
its outstanding, like gta with a focus on a arkham asylum style melee combat system rather than gunplay
#25YEMbotPosted 2/27/2013 2:48:23 PM
rockyoumonkeys posted...
YEMbot posted...

1. I didn't mind the chase mechanic. It made it a little less stressful knowing I didn't actually have to catch the guy, I only had to keep up.

2. It's an almost identical fighting mechanic to Arkham City/Asylum. You either like it or you don't.

And I don't like the fighting mechanic in Arkham either, so that makes sense.
---
"First come smiles, then lies. Last comes gunfire." -Roland Deschain, of Gilead
#26popping4itPosted 2/27/2013 3:53:33 PM
such an incredibly good game.

great characters, great game design and mechanics, good story, good variety.
---
whens mahvel?
#27WomackdPosted 2/27/2013 3:58:00 PM
I define Sleeping Dogs this way. the sleeper hit of 2012 in the same vein as Red Dead Redemption.
#28_Elite_Bushido_Posted 2/28/2013 5:15:24 AM
I define Sleeping Dogs this way. the sleeper hit of 2012 in the same vein as Red Dead Redemption.

uh... RDR wasnt a sleeper hit?
---
I'm a PC gamer, I don't like leaving the house or accepting packages from an actual person.- Xeeh_Bitz
http://tinyurl.com/8eufxdl
#29anonymous46773Posted 2/28/2013 5:20:39 AM
It's pretty good. Definitely worth at least one playthrough.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.