This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When does Crysis 1 get good?

#1pothocketPosted 2/25/2013 7:43:07 AM
All I've heard is how much better than 2 it is in regards to level design but I was playing all day yesterday and haven't seen it yet. Levels are just as linear as 2 so far and less open than 3.

I'm also not getting the argument that the AI was better in 1 either. They're actually a lot simpler than the behavior of AI in 2 and 3.

So what's the deal? I can only assume those poorly formed opinions were the result of PC backlash against the "consolisation" of their PC franchise.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#2SomnambulisticPosted 2/25/2013 7:45:04 AM
How far into it are you?

And anybody who said the AI is better in 1 is probably just as dumb as it. The enemy intelligence is absolutely nothing whatsoever to write home about. Honestly, it's more bad than good.
---
Would you like to know more?
http://i.imgur.com/7paAWOD.jpg
#3kst8erPosted 2/25/2013 7:46:31 AM
not sure how far into the game it is,
spoilers-

once you get to the aliens the game gets much more interesting

end spoilers
---
"Urination when excited can be a long term problem" -- vigorm0rtis
#4pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 7:49:17 AM
minor spoilers

I rescued the one lady from the school and blew up the two tanks then rescued the the guy from the actual excavation site dome thing and I think that's it. So I know I'm probably only a third of the way through the game but the level design has been no more open than 2 so far.
---
#5GriffPosted 2/25/2013 8:22:11 AM
If the game has not clicked for you by that point, it won't get any better.
#6DarkJaydragonPosted 2/25/2013 8:40:25 AM
I liked crysis 1 when i played on hard, it was a lot more enjoyable than my first playthrough on normal.
---
Not changing this sig until i go to sleep started : 13/01/06 00:40 am GT: Jaydragon117 Flight of dragons is #1.
#7JKSonicPosted 2/25/2013 8:53:12 AM
It's good when you make it good. If you don't like it almost right away you probably won't ever like it....
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#8Dark_SpiretPosted 2/25/2013 9:09:29 AM
honestly you must be blind to think the levels are just as linear as 2's. the game still has a linear progression, but instead of a 10foot wide hallway its a 50foot wide "hallway". the areas are still far larger than anything in 2 especially the tank mission which is probably about 10x larger than the biggest area in 2. When it comes to gameplay you still have more options at youre disposable with destroyable buildings, more explosives and more vehicles to man. youre options are FAR greater than what was in crysis 2 or even 3 only as said its up to you to really utilize them.
#9pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 9:26:13 AM
You don't know how much 50 feet is, do you? Why should I listen to someone that is that terrible at judging distances?

Anyways, just because one side of the hallway is an ocean doesn't actually make the hallways any wider.

I've been playing both games this weekend so they're both fresh in my mind and I'm telling you, Crysis 1 levels are not any more open or "wider" than in 2.
---
#10JKSonicPosted 2/25/2013 9:33:54 AM
I've been playing both games this weekend so they're both fresh in my mind and I'm telling you, Crysis 1 levels are not any more open or "wider" than in 2.

I really have to disagree. There's some spots where sure you're basically ushered down a hallway, but many others where you're just dropped down and your objective is just "go in there and shut that off (etc)". You can approach it from any angle, any way. The moments in C2 like that are almost non-existent. Now IMO Crysis 2 was the better game FOR that, C1 was too open IMO. It felt like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be Halo or a game like FarCry 3.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."