This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Video game aces 'will wage wars of the future using killer robots'"

#1TravarkothPosted 2/25/2013 12:18:03 PM
Killer robots were once confined to Hollywood films or the pages of science-fiction novels. But with growing advances in technology, scientists warn that warfare could be conducted by autonomous weapons within a generation.

Noel Sharkey, a professor of artificial intelligence and robotics at Sheffield University, said global action was needed to control their development. The technology is being developed in an unregulated environment, while the machines would struggle to distinguish between a child holding an ice-cream cone and a man with a gun, leading to the indiscriminate loss of civilian life, said Dr Sharkey.

'There is no transparency, no legal process. The laws of war allow for rights of surrender, for prisoner of war rights, for a human face to take judgments on collateral damage. Humans are thinking, sentient beings. If a robot goes wrong, who is accountable? Certainly not the robot,' said Dr Sharkey. Unmanned drones fitted with missiles, controlled from military bases by a human operator, have already been extensively used in Afghanistan and Pakistan to target militants.

But they have proved controversial, with claims they are also responsible for large numbers of civilian casualties. 'In America they are already training more drone pilots than real aircraft pilots, looking for young men who are very good at computer games. They are looking at swarms of robots, with perhaps one person watching what they do.'

He added: 'Autonomous robotic weapons won't get tired, they won't seek revenge if their colleague is killed, but neither will my washing machine. No one on your side might get killed, but what effect will you be having on the other side, not just in lives but in attitudes and anger?'

Despite huge advancements in programming, scientists have been unable to get a robot to distinguish between friend or foe, 'We are struggling to get them to distinguish between a human being and a car.

Call of Duty: Experts say the U.S. is already courting young gamers to operate autonomous weapons

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2283941/Video-game-aces-wage-wars-future-using-killer-robots.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
---
What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?
--Bastila Shan
#2Banana_ManaPosted 2/25/2013 12:22:59 PM
But... The daily mail? It's full of lies and nonsense.
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#3pothocketPosted 2/25/2013 12:25:24 PM
That reminds me, if anyone's hiring I would be interested in working for a skynet type company in regards to developing AI for fighting wars and running governments.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#4vigorm0rtisPosted 2/25/2013 12:26:23 PM
See: Robot Combat League on SyFy.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#5JenniferTatePosted 2/25/2013 12:26:40 PM
GODDAMMIT THAT'S ANOTHER SCREENPLAY RUINED.
---
"Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer." - Scott Stratten
#6JenniferTatePosted 2/25/2013 12:27:46 PM
Double post: on a serious note -

"'There is no transparency, no legal process. The laws of war allow for rights of surrender, for prisoner of war rights, for a human face to take judgments on collateral damage. Humans are thinking, sentient beings. If a robot goes wrong, who is accountable? Certainly not the robot,' said Dr Sharkey. Unmanned drones fitted with missiles, controlled from military bases by a human operator, have already been extensively used in Afghanistan and Pakistan to target militants."

That's MGS4 and Sons of the Patriots PMC logic.

!
---
"Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer." - Scott Stratten
#7vigorm0rtisPosted 2/25/2013 12:32:47 PM
AlkalineKitten posted...

!

That's PMC logic IRL. Seriously, there's a reason PMCs get away with crap no nation ever could-- for the time being, they sit in a limbo between mercenary can combatant in terms of international law.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#8RPG_ApostlePosted 2/25/2013 12:36:27 PM
Been awhile since middle school, but wasn't that kinda the basis for Ender's Game?
---
Then mark him if he violates the rules and shut up. Baseman, GameFAQs Moderator
#9JenniferTatePosted 2/25/2013 12:40:34 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...
AlkalineKitten posted...

!

That's PMC logic IRL. Seriously, there's a reason PMCs get away with crap no nation ever could-- for the time being, they sit in a limbo between mercenary can combatant in terms of international law.

I know it! But the robots bring the nanotechnology bit into the equation!
---
#10pothocketPosted 2/25/2013 12:43:17 PM
RPG_Apostle posted...
Been awhile since middle school, but wasn't that kinda the basis for Ender's Game?

Sorta of, yeah. Teach kids war tactics by turning it into a game.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson