This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else think realistic graphics make games feel boring?

#11pothocketPosted 2/26/2013 11:56:22 AM(edited)
Style can also help with gameplay too. Look at TF2 and it's cartoony style. It allows a player to recognize not only what any given class is from across the map but also what weapon they're carrying. You ever wonder why each class has different stereotype accents? So you can tell classes apart just from audio!

You lose all these different functions of game design when you're aiming for simulation.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#12richboy900Posted 2/26/2013 11:50:36 AM
No, but timesplitters is probably the most fun shooter I've played so I can see where you're coming from.
#13Res5Posted 2/26/2013 11:55:12 AM
It has it's place much like an artstyle does. I feel the best artstyle is one that makes you think it looks real in spite of not being a realistic artstyle. Final Fantasy XIII is a great example of this. It's graphics are beautiful and it has an artstyle that really compliments it and almost makes everything look like it was out of the real world.
---
Welcome....to the next best thing
http://highresgaming.blogspot.com
#14darkharePosted 2/26/2013 11:58:32 AM
sockesocke posted...
darkhare posted...
i prefer stylized graphics over hyper-realistic.

me too, but a good game is a good game.

thats the problem, games with hyper realistic graphics are very rarely any good. the one and only hyper-realistic game that i thought played really well was HeavyRain, pretty much every other game that i can think of that falls into that category are shooters.
---
big fish < little fish
#15pothocketPosted 2/26/2013 12:07:09 PM
darkhare posted...
sockesocke posted...
darkhare posted...
i prefer stylized graphics over hyper-realistic.

me too, but a good game is a good game.

thats the problem, games with hyper realistic graphics are very rarely any good. the one and only hyper-realistic game that i thought played really well was HeavyRain, pretty much every other game that i can think of that falls into that category are shooters.

And let's face it, the juxtaposition of serious business army dude graphics with laser tag casual gameplay is an awful idea. Years from now we're going to look back at this gen and be like "WTF were we thinking with all the GI Joe?!"

That's right, I used a big word. Savor it.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#16AWarAmp84Posted 2/26/2013 12:15:47 PM
Gameplay>Graphics
---
Before you comment on one of my posts, please research the Dunning-Kruger effect. Best game of all time: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
#17foodeater4Posted 2/26/2013 12:16:07 PM
No, it just depends on the game, gameplay and story for that particular game.
#18JenniferTatePosted 2/26/2013 12:16:08 PM
pothocket posted...

And let's face it, the juxtaposition of serious business army dude graphics with laser tag casual gameplay is an awful idea.

This sentence is awesome for so many reasons. I applaud you.
---
"Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer." - Scott Stratten
#19stawg007Posted 2/26/2013 12:17:29 PM
knightimex posted...
It really depends on the game.

Possibly the only sensible thing you've ever said

This
---
lPayneToTheMaxl
#20knightimexPosted 2/26/2013 12:23:45 PM
stawg007 posted...
knightimex posted...
It really depends on the game.

Possibly the only sensible thing you've ever said