This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Defiance, Anyone interested?

#11JenniferTatePosted 2/27/2013 1:30:36 PM
Well, it's on PC and PS3, too, but i have to imagine they saw something in Live's shooter community that made them think it would be worth the focus. With it's third person focus, I'd certainly love to play it on my couch rather that at my desk.

Defiance has been in the works for five years, I believe. And Trion isn't a slouch in the developer department for online gaming; I don't know who was behind any of the others.

Most of the balance issues I've heard about were from old builds, like the MMO aggro mechanics (probably carried over from RIFT). In January I scoured their forums after some people crept around NDA and the biggest balance complaint was that vehicles could be overpowered, but that's kind of obvious. Or subjective.

The trick is, there's not much TO balance. Shooting is what my friend calls "skill shots", you have to shoot the other person. No auto-aim, no fire and forget MMO nukes that only depend on range and interrupts. It's shooting. Grenades are on the same cooldown for everyone.

Defiance has no classes, no armor. You get two weapon slots, a grenade slot, a shield slot, and a vehicle slot. You slot one ability at a time and then build perks into it, sort of like Skyrim or CoD. As you increase in EGO rating you unlock additional perk slots.

You can choose between two weapons to have equipped at one time and switch between them on the fly like Every Shooter This Decade.

You can also unlock "loadout" slots which you can switch on the fly through the character window, so you can leap from rifleman to a SAW gunner to a medic all with different equipment and ability/perk loadouts.

As for vehicles, there are a couple of different ATVs and variants of ATVs or the Warthog with it's mounted weapon.

Things of note: it's not a cover shooter. You can use walls or cover, but there's no cover mechanic. The game is a big gamble not for being an MMO, but for being tied to a television show. If the show doesn't catch on, or if the budget isn't there, that could be bad.
---
"Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer." - Scott Stratten
#12vigorm0rtisPosted 2/27/2013 1:30:37 PM
rmc52482 posted...

I haven't see a lot of Syfy shows, but I would play a game based on Alphas.

Agreed, that'd be badass.

I don't watch much of their stuff either, but they lost their big longtime cashcow, Stargate (one of several incarnations, I believe) not too long ago. They've been fishing for another, but end up cancelling a lot of shows.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#13SunDevil77Posted 2/27/2013 1:31:24 PM
What exactly is it?
---
Royale with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#14vigorm0rtisPosted 2/27/2013 1:37:50 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
What exactly is it?

It's like a shooter-MMO, and it's tied to a SyFy TV show. What happens in the game will, supposedly, influence the show and vice versa. It's not really a MMO, they call it 'massively co-op,' whatever that means.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#15JenniferTatePosted 2/27/2013 1:38:55 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
What exactly is it?

Defiance? It's a persistent open world 3rd person shooter where you make your soldier and customize them and play in an ever changing world. I'm pretty sure there's PvE and PvP. It's based on a show premiering this April:

In the year 2046, it’s a new Earth – with new rules. Over thirty years after various alien races arrived on Earth, the landscape is completely altered, terraformed nearly beyond recognition. To the town of Defiance, on what used to be St. Louis, comes the mysterious Nolan (Grant Bowler) and his charge, Irisa (Stephanie Leonidas). As they settle into town – overseen by the mayor, Amanda Rosewater (Julie Benz) and filled with residents like the powerful Rafe McCawley (Graham Greene), enterprising lounge owner Kenya (Mia Kirshner) and the ambitious, alien Tarrs (Tony Curran and Jaime Murray) - events begin to unfold that threaten the fragile peace this border town has fought for.

As the events of Defiance unfold weekly on your TV screen, you can see how the residents’ struggles impact the game of Defiance, a high-octane, multi-platform experience from Trion Worlds!

Defiance, from the minds behind Battlestar Galactica and Farscape, debuts on Syfy on April 15 at 9/8c.

I'm going to link you this since it's easier to explore for yourself:

http://www.defiance.com/en/game/overview/what-is-defiance/?CAS_REDIR=true
---
"Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer." - Scott Stratten
#16Just_The_TipPosted 2/27/2013 2:04:08 PM
Sounds like a neat idea. The lack of info on it is kind of concerning. I'll wait for reviews and maybe an episode or two of the show.
---
Bernard, don't be a tuna head
#17calinksPosted 2/27/2013 3:04:31 PM
I'm pretty interested. I just hope the show decently live up to the game if the game is good.
---
http://i41.tinypic.com/1609a9h.gif
"If you can eat your food while everyone else is losing theirs and blaming you, you straight, homie." -Big Smoke
#18JenniferTatePosted 2/27/2013 4:55:41 PM
We can get a GFAQs posse.
---
#19bluehat94Posted 2/27/2013 4:59:05 PM
I'm definitely interested, it kind of reminds me of a third person Borderlands, just more serious. The whole persistent online aspect has got me interested too, i've always wanted a shooter MMO on consoles.
---
"So my lunch today involved both a noodle packet and a sauce packet....so yeah, things are going pretty well for me."