This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

RE4 or RE6

#71Shackleford_RPosted 2/28/2013 10:04:27 AM
Devil_wings00 posted...

That being said opening sequence is more tense and scary then any of the original RE games ever accomplished (seriously go back and actually play the old RE games...they are goofy and really don't have much besides jump scares).

RE6 is just a train wreck...an enjoyable train wreck at times but definitely not something I would ever go back and play again.

Are you comparing a Gamecube game to PS1 games? Or do you mean to compare RE4 to the GC remake of the first? Because it's the latter, I definitely find the REmake to have far more creepy atmosphere.

Wait, just the old ones were goofy? Oh, yeah, I just remembered the part in RE2 where Leon gets chased by a giant man-baby Napoleon Statue. Oh, and the jet-ski escape.

Monopoly on goofy concepts, got it.
#72TBONE_OGPosted 2/28/2013 10:10:42 AM
Bought RE4 during the Halloween sale. It was fun but I played RE5 before this one so it felt dated. But I have heard RE4 was one of the best. Good luck on professional mode if you're new to RE like me.
---
Always O.G.
#73TheRobPosted 2/28/2013 10:56:51 AM(edited)
DrFeelgood1984 posted...
It's a great game but it's a 9 year old port of a GameCube game and it's not really an HD version (just upscaled). I'll probably get it for $10 because I don't have my GameCube anymore and I have MS points to spend.

But it's not the GameCube version, it's the Wii version minus motion controls. It has the extra content from the PS2 version that the GameCube version did not.

Anyway, a great game is a great game. $10 is still a great price for it, and finding even an older copy at that price would be difficult.

Shackleford_R posted...
Are you comparing a Gamecube game to PS1 games? Or do you mean to compare RE4 to the GC remake of the first? Because it's the latter, I definitely find the REmake to have far more creepy atmosphere.

Wait, just the old ones were goofy? Oh, yeah, I just remembered the part in RE2 where Leon gets chased by a giant man-baby Napoleon Statue. Oh, and the jet-ski escape.

Monopoly on goofy concepts, got it.

I personally cannot argue with you on some of those other comments, Resident Evil overall has a lot of goofy concept, both old and new.

But what was wrong with the jet ski escape? I thought it was a nice change of pace of having to make it to a train or helicopter before a clock ran out to trigger an pre-determined cutscene. At least the jet ski was different and we had physical control over the whole scene.

---
The People's Heel
IF YA SMEELLLALALAO..WHAT THE ROB IS COOKING !!!
'B-|
#74DRzCalderonPosted 2/28/2013 10:55:43 AM
Resident Evil 6 is a disgrace to TPS, not just the RE series.
---
"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
#75SSJCenaPosted 2/28/2013 11:31:25 AM
I feel like a lot of people ranting about RE6 either never played it and are bandwagoning or are mad because it didn't mold to be the Resident Evil they wanted it to be.
---
"I hate it when people quote themselves"- SSJCena
Add me as a GF's friend if you dare.....
#76knightimexPosted 2/28/2013 11:33:36 AM
Why not get all of the re games?

Would be stupid to skip the story unless understanding things isn't your thing
---
Old School Games FTW!
#77Dark_SpiretPosted 2/28/2013 11:39:50 AM
DRzCalderon posted...
Resident Evil 6 is a disgrace to TPS, not just the RE series.
yet it has one of the best tps combat systems ever made. go figure.
#78MikkanuiPosted 2/28/2013 11:42:38 AM
The story of 4 is rather bad, but it makes up for it on gameplay. 6 is a trainwreck all around.
#79FRo3tBLo0dPosted 2/28/2013 12:04:08 PM
KtuluheroII posted...
RE4 is one of the greatest games of all time. RE6 is a train wreck.

This pretty much sums it up, RE6 is the only RE that I have never finished nor do I ever plan on finishing it. That game is just....bad.
#80XImperialDragonPosted 2/28/2013 12:19:21 PM
I greatly enjoyed RE4, played it through no less than 3 times. A lot of the design choices were new, exciting back then. Much of what RE4 introduced wasn't well polished (obviously, since it was the first time for that style of play) but it brought together an entire package that kept people playing. In RE5, a lot of gameplay and combat elements from RE4 were improved, but some other, major things were either not improved at all (very few new enemies, for example. Dr. Salvador, JJs, many of the 'big' normal enemies were straight out of RE4) or made slightly worse for some reason.

RE6, on the other hand, had a lot of sloppy design choices all around. Combat has significantly more depth than RE5, but a lot of it needed a better in-game explanation than what it got, not to mention a lot of the added features were, while cool, absolutely useless. Lots of quick time events, lots of things that will kill you instantly and are fairly difficult to avoid if you don't know they're coming (the ambulance in Leon's first stage is a prime example: The game tells you to defend an area, then sends an ambulance that will kill you unless you're out of, or on the outskirts, of the area the game told you to be in). Lots of poorly done boss fights, etc., etc., etc..

I'd pick RE4 over RE6 any day of the week. RE6 isn't an awful game, but it's still weird that two iterations ago is still the game that got a lot of the overall elements of the game right. >_>;
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, you set your 3DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.