This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How come most girls dislike/don't care for video games (not angry birds crap)?

#71CienoKahloPosted 3/5/2013 11:21:26 PM
Halo_Forever posted...

The Warriors games definitely have some cross gender appeal. Don't know if it has to do with (most of) them being based on history, the colorful characters with alternatives for both gender (my sister always picks Sun Shang Xiang if she is available), easy to pick up gameplay (while still having variety because of the absurdly large character rosters), co-op ability that fits well for couples or a union of all of these abilities.

I think you're right. SSX used to be my favourite character until they changed her moveset in 6 and got a not-crowd-clearing musou in 7 (seriously, you'd think that if you had chakrams, you'd use them in your special attack rather than just stomp on people's heads)... but I digress.

I really enjoy being able to play different characters that look different, I don't always want to be this short-brown-haired mid-20s Caucasian male lead. I love DW & SW because they have quite the female roster (although half of the Japanese voice acting is annoying) with some badass movesets. Wang Yi, anyone?

Also, a lot of the male characters in Dynasty Warriors got bishounen-fied and have zero facial hair, which may help appeal to women, but I'm personally not interested in that design decision because now they all look the same. Liu Bei needs to look like a dork again.
---
Now playing: Sleeping Dogs, Civilization: Revolution
#72_LordAndSaviorPosted 3/5/2013 11:40:56 PM
I disagree with anyone who says that males are pushed upwards video games while females don't, I have numerous brothers and sister and loads of cousins as kids we all enjoyed playing Mario Party for example but now as adults my sisters and female cousins haven't touched a controller in years while the males still play if only occasionally.
---
Will not change this sig, until Carlito is a World Champion! 7/10/11 (Unofficial Date: 6/11/05)
R.I.P Shauwk, Gone but Never Forgotten. You will be missed.
#73Halo_ForeverPosted 3/5/2013 11:54:00 PM
CienoKahlo posted...

I think you're right. SSX used to be my favourite character until they changed her moveset in 6 and got a not-crowd-clearing musou in 7 (seriously, you'd think that if you had chakrams, you'd use them in your special attack rather than just stomp on people's heads)... but I digress.

For some reason I liked Zhen Ji from the beginning (she was one of my base characters in DW3, for better or worse, definitely spammed the crap out of her radial moves). I was a bit annoyed when she got a clone moveset for DW6.

Joan of Arc and Ginchiyo Tachibana are some of my favorites in the Warriors series though, with attitude and armor to match.

I really enjoy being able to play different characters that look different, I don't always want to be this short-brown-haired mid-20s Caucasian male lead. I love DW & SW because they have quite the female roster (although half of the Japanese voice acting is annoying) with some badass movesets. Wang Yi, anyone?

Yeah it is a bit weird that AAA games appear to go out of their way to not appeal to women, especially when they are otherwise trying to tap markets like mad. I do wonder how they missed that e.g. the Bioware games have a fairly significant female fanbase.

Also, a lot of the male characters in Dynasty Warriors got bishounen-fied and have zero facial hair, which may help appeal to women, but I'm personally not interested in that design decision because now they all look the same. Liu Bei needs to look like a dork again.

When the first screens from DW6 came out, I honestly thought that Liu Bei was Jiang Wei. Can't say that I appreciated Xiahou Dun's J-Pop hairstyle though. I actually liked the more mundane DW3 costumes, although I wouldn't want to movesets back.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#74Rome218Posted 3/6/2013 1:28:12 AM(edited)
If someone says, "I'm taken" or doesn't respond beyond "uh huh" or "okay" because you cornered them at a party, it doesn't mean that they playing hard to get. It means that you've overstayed your welcome and you went from New Acquaintance to Desperate Trolling Stranger. This happens a lot, which is a reason why me and many of my female video-game-playing friends don't hang out with video-game-playing guys they don't already know and/or have established rapport with through other contexts (school, work, other interests, etc.)

I think you have me all wrong. I'm saying that more females should be gamers like men, instead of having a few as a precious commodity. This isn't the caveman days where men bludgeon a woman over the head with a stick and take her to his cave.

Also we get advice on everything on gamefaqs, I don't think dating should be left out.

There are guys that are like that no matter what. You seem to have a negative stigma that all male gamers somehow cannot appreciate if a woman is not interested in them, and perhaps I made it sound like a gaming woman is the only requirement needed. Yes that is a large thing to me, however; I still appreciate woman with a nice attitude and a good sense of humor over everything else. I always say, if a woman does not get my humor, it's a deal breaker. I don't care how many games we have in common if she can't take a joke. =)

In the end, a lady still has to know how to behave like a lady. I just believe that women can certainly benefit from playing video games if they are having guy problems. I don't feel I need to make that kind of compromise since I am a bachelor who owns his own 3 bedroom home and a really nice car, and I can afford to wine and dine a lady that captures my attention. However, it is in my own fantasy that my perfect soulmate will be a woman who appreciates my humor(Had many women like that before), appreciates my generosity(had some women like that), and can really get down on my favorite hobby. =) I don't want part of it, I want the whole ****ing lot. ;) Dunno if it will happen, but hey, I can dream, right?

You seem much more cool than that defensive lady with an attitude problem. My words may have been slightly offensive, but it was meant to be a joke. It's hard to tell when people are behind a keyboard, but the way she got all offended.. I don't care how many games a woman plays, that is a deal breaker.

I hope that makes more sense.
---
I served 8, in war... my father served 23, in war... both of my grandfathers served, in war. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, GWoT, etc. - ScarecrowES
#75wombat013Posted 3/6/2013 1:49:28 AM
Wow. troll topic but tons of responses. Well played TC..

But to answer you, it's been my experience that the ONLY girls who hate or dislike video games are the same ones who hate/dislike violence, action movies, etc.. Or they are the hippie type, and this includes guys, too, who feel anything that isn't outdoors is a waste of time.
---
He who needs a pat on the back makes every man his judge
#76oasisbeyondPosted 3/6/2013 2:18:03 AM
It's in their genes... They want to get laid and find a man 90% of the time... Buying games won't lead them to that goal... So they buy things like makeup, clothes...

Just the truth.

That said... There are hot girls who game, usually they grew up with brothers who gamed.
#77ponderingcowPosted 3/6/2013 4:21:43 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#78CienoKahloPosted 3/6/2013 6:58:36 PM
Halo_Forever posted...

Joan of Arc and Ginchiyo Tachibana are some of my favorites in the Warriors series though, with attitude and armor to match.

Those are my favourite WO characters too, I really liked the inclusion of Joan of Arc in WO3. It makes me want Koei to focus on making brawlers with random historical people. Play as Napoleon, Tomoe Gozen, or Lapu Lapu! No story or context required! I love the Three Kingdoms and Sengoku as much as the next Koei fan, but there's only so much more characters they can add.
---
Now playing: Sleeping Dogs, Civilization: Revolution