This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about playing installed games off external HD

#1dreamsteelPosted 3/1/2013 8:31:46 AM
My 120gb xbox HD is reaching full capacity and I have a 1TB external HD that I was thinking of using (I know I can only use 30gb) but I'm wondering if installed/downloaded games play well off of an external drive or is there slowdown and/or framerate issues or anything else?
#2Dragon NexusPosted 3/1/2013 8:42:35 AM
You'd be running it at the speed of the USB port, so it won't be HDD speed.
Why not just clear unused data from your 120GB?
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#3dreamsteel(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 8:46:58 AM
Are there external hd or flash drives that run fast enough? Yes, clearing data is an option but most of the space is dlc content for games that I still play. This brings it back to the original question if dlc/games can be played in full quality from an external source?
#4TheBlueStigPosted 3/1/2013 9:41:24 AM
It depends on the speed of the source. If you have a USB drive laying around, the best way to test it's speed is the Shank demo, if the demo runs full speed, you're good to go, if it only runs at 1 frame every 5 seconds, it's too slow.

Or you could just buy a new 320GB drive and get 2 or 3 free games.

http://majornelson.com/2013/02/21/320gb-media-hard-drive-content-update/
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#5GuideToTheDarkPosted 3/1/2013 9:42:58 AM
Load up anything you don't use too often onto the external drive.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.