This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about playing installed games off external HD

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Question about playing installed games off external HD
3 years ago#1
My 120gb xbox HD is reaching full capacity and I have a 1TB external HD that I was thinking of using (I know I can only use 30gb) but I'm wondering if installed/downloaded games play well off of an external drive or is there slowdown and/or framerate issues or anything else?
3 years ago#2
You'd be running it at the speed of the USB port, so it won't be HDD speed.
Why not just clear unused data from your 120GB?
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
3 years ago#3
Are there external hd or flash drives that run fast enough? Yes, clearing data is an option but most of the space is dlc content for games that I still play. This brings it back to the original question if dlc/games can be played in full quality from an external source?
3 years ago#4
It depends on the speed of the source. If you have a USB drive laying around, the best way to test it's speed is the Shank demo, if the demo runs full speed, you're good to go, if it only runs at 1 frame every 5 seconds, it's too slow.

Or you could just buy a new 320GB drive and get 2 or 3 free games.

http://majornelson.com/2013/02/21/320gb-media-hard-drive-content-update/
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
3 years ago#5
Load up anything you don't use too often onto the external drive.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Question about playing installed games off external HD

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived