This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Game mechanics that defined this generation

#1pothocketPosted 3/1/2013 8:44:39 AM
This topic is about mechanics that seem to have found their way into just about everything this gen, whether or not it actually added value to the game.

Hacking mini-games: Everything from doors to turrets to vending machines got hacked into this gen via min-games. Unfortunately most of the mini-games were so simple that they added very little risk/reward gameplay about whether or not it should be hacked, or the opposite problem: too involved and time consuming to the point that the player dreads doing them. Either way: tedious.

Zero sum morality choices: All sorts of games this gen let us speak our mind and influence the plot. Problem is, none of it really mattered. There were no "wrong" choices. Save the little sisters and they leave presents for you, "harvest" them and you gain more adam. It doesn't matter.

Hunting: Plenty of games included hunting gameplay, unfortunately most games forgot to give us a reason to hunt. I guess they just assumed we'd do it because it was there.

Crafting: Thank you Minecraft. Nothing makes a game feel more padded (aside from open world spending 20 minutes traveling to every single thing) than collecting 12 different resources to craft into 6 different resources to finally craft into the one thing you actually want but aren't going to use because you only made it to complete the set and get the achievement.

Bows: Gamers love one hit kills and being sneaky. Developers love the synergy it has with the hunting gameplay they shoehorned into the game and the balance of the very slow fire rate. Everyone wins.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#2SunDevil77Posted 3/1/2013 8:46:11 AM
Class based characters.

Be it RPG or Multiplayer FPS
---
Breakfast foods can serve many purposes
~Ron Swanson
#3DolobillPosted 3/1/2013 8:48:17 AM
Cover based shooting. Aim down sights (ADS) in FPS's. Regenerating health.
#4buddhamonsterPosted 3/1/2013 8:52:34 AM
CoD like create a class with challenges to rank up and unlock stuff.

Seems like that stuff showed up everywhere after CoD4.
---
Hey Trashcan Man! What did old lady Semple say when you burned her pension check?
Boston Bruins - 2011 Stanley Cup Champs!
#5SheepinatorPosted 3/1/2013 8:53:28 AM
Morality systems where rewards are given for 100% good or evil, which is often only possible to reach if you choose that path 100% of the time.

Collectibles in every genre.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#6pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 8:54:07 AM
Yep, good call on class based MP. Even CM has different Alien classes.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#7TheRobPosted 3/1/2013 8:55:22 AM
Quick Time Events

It wasn't created this generation, but I'll damned if it didn't completely dominate this gen. Makes me sick.
---
The People's Heel
IF YA SMEELLLALALAO..WHAT THE ROB IS COOKING !!!
'B-|
#8tired_insomniacPosted 3/1/2013 8:55:35 AM
having only one or two bullets to spare in games like I am alive and the last of us.
#9Arucard05Posted 3/1/2013 8:57:05 AM
Cover based shooting. Aim down sights (ADS) in FPS's. Regenerating health.

Came in here to say all of these things.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
It's better than bad.
#10GrobariPosted 3/1/2013 9:22:16 AM
PARKOUR
---
the only reason I wake up in the morning is to see if there's a trailer for bad boys 3 - deadguy153
http://soundcloud.com/darkest_dawn/