This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Normal or Inverted. Which do you prefer?

#21NemorianPosted 3/1/2013 11:33:29 AM
I can't play at all if the Y axis isn't inverted. X can go either way.
#22combatcm1Posted 3/1/2013 11:38:19 AM
By "inverted" flying do you mean normal?
#23krullPosted 3/1/2013 11:44:59 AM(edited)
In some games normal means default and inverted just means the opposite of default. I don't play flight games much but pretty sure it depends on the game. Same with some driving games with limited aerial control, what "normal" is varies.
---
Think not that we are beaten. Think not we are restrained. We stand, unflinching witness, defiant now, Unchained.
~To Strive To Seek To Find And Not To Yield~
#24MertensCWPosted 3/1/2013 12:36:02 PM
AlkalineKitten posted...
krull posted...
Inverted for both, I think of myself as the cameraman in all games, I tilt the camera's butt down to look up and up to look down, those who like normal could actually be more immersed as they see themselves as the actual lens or eyeball but I'm too used to inverted at this point.

I teach a Film In a Day workshop for elementary and secondary school students, and the best camera operators who get it right away when we're shooting are those who play video games and inverted. I always ask.

Well, that settles it. Thanks for your investigative research.
Write a paper.

HighOnPhazon posted...
Inverted for both. It makes the most sense. I've been arguing this fact for years. When you look up, you tilt your head backwards. When you look down, you tilt your head forward. This translates to the analog stick.

Same. I always found it strange how "normal" players fail to see how natural that is.
---
Few Favorites- Ninja gaiden 1-2, Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2 GTA:SA,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S.Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2,Vanquish,Witcher 2.
#25thekozmicpigPosted 3/1/2013 12:45:01 PM
656stooge posted...
Inverted. Why? Because Goldeneye is why.

I've never understood why I always did this, but this explains it.
---
Feels like the depths of hell were unleashed upon my ass. - nivlac_rebuats
#26squarex8264Posted 3/1/2013 12:46:47 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...
Inverted for both. It makes the most sense. I've been arguing this fact for years. When you look up, you tilt your head backwards. When you look down, you tilt your head forward. This translates to the analog stick.

The problem with this analogy is that it only explains inverting the Y axis, but does not account for the X axis remaining normal.

If the analogue stick is on the back of the head like you say, then pushing to the left should have the person looking to the right, and vice-versa. Yet most people who play with an inverted Y will not invert the X...

The reason I don't invert the camera for first-person games is because I imagine that the camera is linked to the eyes of my character. So to look upwards, I push up. To look downwards, I push down. And left to right as normal.
---
Gamertag: Squ4rex
"You guys can sig that if you want." -TheArcade
#27Travarkoth(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 12:57:26 PM
By "inverted" flying do you mean normal?

Games usually use 'inverted' flying as up is down, and down is up.
---
What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?
--Bastila Shan
#28WinternovaPosted 3/1/2013 12:57:53 PM
AlkalineKitten posted...
Flight is just a bonus, but my dad was a fighter pilot, so of course that's how things had to roll in my house.

Do a barrel roll!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#29Darkest_EvilPosted 3/1/2013 12:58:36 PM
i used to love inverted back on n64 days of goldeneye but now i cant stand playing that way what so ever... its worse when your trying to claw as well
---
http://castleminerz.freeforums.org/index.php
#30overkill_78Posted 3/1/2013 1:14:43 PM
Normal for both. I'm playing a game, not controlling myself. Up is up, down is down.
---
Change your name, change your eyes, become the one who I despise.
Gamertag: Nevik overkill