This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"New Video Game Consoles Are Hurting GameStop"

#11zyxomma100Posted 3/3/2013 1:50:55 AM(edited)
I don't like a lot of what Gamestop does, but they do provide a great service when it comes to oldish games that aren't being sold most other places.

I've bought hundreds (no exaggeration) of games from them that were out of print and would've taken me more effort and/or money to find elsewhere. (Amazon doesn't have EVERYTHING.)

As for working in retail, it's not all the same. From experience, Wal Mart was by far the worst job I've ever had, and Target was by far the best retail job I've had. I would imagine Gamestop would be somewhere in the middle.
#12BeefEasterPosted 3/3/2013 3:17:04 AM(edited)
stargazer1981 posted...
BeefEaster posted...
Last Vampire posted...
No other retailer is any different. Why people think Gamestop is worse than Wal-Mart or Target is beyond me. My theory is that it's partly because the stores are relatively small making it harder to avoid speaking to employees, and partly because of groupthink.

Not sure which is more responsible though.

since when does walmart or target buy used games for a few dollars and then sell them for $40 or $50 or try to sell people open games as new?

Wah.

If you get an "opened copy" either suck it up, because you were gonna open it anyway and as long as it's not scratched who gives a ****, or don't accept it and move on to a different store.

Jesus Christ, these excuses why GS sucks are getting monotonous.

I don't shop at gamestop exactly for that reason

I like how you completely ignored what I said about the price of used games

if you're fine with being screwed over then that's your problem
#13Rome218Posted 3/3/2013 3:24:58 AM
I agree with people who support Gamestop. For one thing, I've never seen any person happy to work retail. Retail sucks anywhere, what is so awful about Gamestop? I never worked there, but is it worse than Wal Mart?

As far as how they buy used games, that's the same stuff pawn shops do. People go in there WILLING to get ripped off. No one is putting a gun to their head, they make a CONSCIOUS decision to get ripped off.

On top of that, their used games are way more competitive then the Games on Demands. They are not even trying to compete with the used game market.

Also, I do not recall the last time I ever got a game from GS that was not in it's packaging. Do they still do that? Or do people still say they still do that?
---
I served 8, in war... my father served 23, in war... both of my grandfathers served, in war. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, GWoT, etc. - ScarecrowES
#14Rome218Posted 3/3/2013 3:29:22 AM
stargazer1981 posted...
BeefEaster posted...
Last Vampire posted...
No other retailer is any different. Why people think Gamestop is worse than Wal-Mart or Target is beyond me. My theory is that it's partly because the stores are relatively small making it harder to avoid speaking to employees, and partly because of groupthink.

Not sure which is more responsible though.

since when does walmart or target buy used games for a few dollars and then sell them for $40 or $50 or try to sell people open games as new?

Wah.

If you get an "opened copy" either suck it up, because you were gonna open it anyway and as long as it's not scratched who gives a ****, or don't accept it and move on to a different store.

Jesus Christ, these excuses why GS sucks are getting monotonous.

The people who complain on Gamestop are minorities. While it is popular to make fun of call of duty on Gamefaqs, outside of this site it is popular to OWN call of duty.

The fact that Gamestops are everywhere shows that there is a great demand for them. If there wasn't, they would not always open up new stores. In one city near me there are two Gamestops across the street from each other. Walking distance but not recommended due to the traffic.
---
I served 8, in war... my father served 23, in war... both of my grandfathers served, in war. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, GWoT, etc. - ScarecrowES
#15GuideToTheDarkPosted 3/3/2013 3:34:22 AM
They're popular because they have funding and almost no competition, and because the vast majority doesn't know any better.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
#16Rome218Posted 3/3/2013 3:36:59 AM
GuideToTheDark posted...
They're popular because they have funding and almost no competition, and because the vast majority doesn't know any better.

Okay I guess I'm part of the vast majority. Enlighten us.

They're a for profit company that tries to do anything they can to make money? That sounds like every business. They offer crappy prices for games when you decide you want to trade it in, while the customer may turn them down? Why would they stop offering crappy prices for trade ins if people still do it.

Even if Joe Schmoe is only getting 30 dollars for 2 games, he made that decision. He has financial independence. It also may have helped him get a new game he otherwise would not have gotten, while the 2 games he would not have traded it would just be collecting dust.
---
#17GuideToTheDarkPosted 3/3/2013 3:44:44 AM(edited)
You're bringing up something I made no mention of. I'm not one to begrudge a business for making money, that's what businesses are for.

On the contrary, I blame the public for being ignorant. Better deals are absolutely everywhere else.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
#18Rome218Posted 3/3/2013 4:00:18 AM
Oh. I understand what you're saying, but you can say that about people who shop for groceries.

I'm not saying Gamestop is the best thing in the world, I just believe many people here seem to hate them for odd reasons. The guy on my sig, me and him got into such a large debate that I wanted to get into a fight with him irl since he lives near me.

He was saying people are parasites for shopping at gamestop, it's legal piracy(oxymoron) and he just started insulting me for shopping there. I wanted to meet him at Gamestop to beat him in the face. I told him what day I was going and what plaza.

So if you see someone named ScareCrowES. He is a ***** who can only talk on the internet. How ironic that he would talk so much crap to me and live so close.
---
#19SparkItUpPosted 3/3/2013 8:15:50 AM
gudaman posted...
I hope they do more than hurt Gamestop. Personally, I wish I could be the one twisting the knife in that company's back.

why? noone is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to shop there. I personally don't like their trade in policy, however, that is why I don't trade games in there. Never understood why people are so butthurt about companies really...Noone is forcing you to be their customer.
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation
#20SparkItUpPosted 3/3/2013 8:18:40 AM
Rome218 posted...
I agree with people who support Gamestop. For one thing, I've never seen any person happy to work retail. Retail sucks anywhere, what is so awful about Gamestop? I never worked there, but is it worse than Wal Mart?

As far as how they buy used games, that's the same stuff pawn shops do. People go in there WILLING to get ripped off. No one is putting a gun to their head, they make a CONSCIOUS decision to get ripped off.

On top of that, their used games are way more competitive then the Games on Demands. They are not even trying to compete with the used game market.

Also, I do not recall the last time I ever got a game from GS that was not in it's packaging. Do they still do that? Or do people still say they still do that?

I agree 100%. That is another policy I don't agree with of theirs (the opened new games). But as long as everything is in there that should have been in there to begin with, I am fine...If it isn't, I don't buy it...It's that simple and I will go to the closest Walmart and buy whatever game it is.

People act as if there aren't other options as far as where they shop.
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation