This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"New Video Game Consoles Are Hurting GameStop"

#21SunDevil77Posted 3/3/2013 7:18:54 AM
It'll be a sad day for me if they ever go down.

GameStop took all the little game shops around here out of business. I would have nowhere to go shopping for older games and whatnot :/ I can always shop online, but I'm old fashioned, I like the hunt.
---
Breakfast foods can serve many purposes
~Ron Swanson
#22Last VampirePosted 3/3/2013 8:06:39 AM
BeefEaster posted...
Last Vampire posted...
No other retailer is any different. Why people think Gamestop is worse than Wal-Mart or Target is beyond me. My theory is that it's partly because the stores are relatively small making it harder to avoid speaking to employees, and partly because of groupthink.

Not sure which is more responsible though.

since when does walmart or target buy used games for a few dollars and then sell them for $40 or $50 or try to sell people open games as new?

Since years ago. Both Wal-Mart and Target buy used games, and their prices aren't any better than Gamestop. You know why? Because they are businesses, not your friend. Gamestop is a pawn shop, not a video game collector. WHY would they give you full market value for a game, and why would you expect it? Nevermind the fact that Gamestop guarantees $30 trade in value for most new games for a month after release.

As for selling opened games as new, I can only say that the only time that's ever happened to me is when I'm buying a new game months after release and all they have left is the display. I'm sure it happens to you all the time even though you don't shop at Gamestop because you hate them.

And no, I wasn't talking about working for them.
---
[Exit, pursued by a bear.]
GT:
LafayetteV
#23JKSonicPosted 3/3/2013 8:08:55 AM
I still can't believe the hate Gamestop gets. We are gamers, and they're one of the only gaming-only companies left out there. Besides the internet they are really the ONLY place to find rarer/older/niche games, too. Anything that they do which is sort of sketchy is OUR fault for letting them do it. High used game prices? WE buy them so of course they will keep selling them. Opened "new" games? Again, WE keep purchases them so...
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#24bossk5Posted 3/3/2013 8:11:34 AM
I shop at GameStop and will continue to do so.
---
I buy used games.Pacers 3- whatever...I give up
#25CrimsonCorpPosted 3/3/2013 8:33:13 AM
gudaman posted...
I hope they do more than hurt Gamestop. Personally, I wish I could be the one twisting the knife in that company's back.

---
"In the Grim Darkness of the far future... there is only awesome"
#26scythecamPosted 3/3/2013 8:39:37 AM
You guys realize that gs is an integral part of the industry right?
---
One-and-Donecos
#27Arucard05Posted 3/3/2013 8:42:29 AM
I'll never understand the hate. The best argument against them appears to be "They gave me the choice to sell my games to them for a lower price than I could get elsewhere and I had absolutely no obligation to do so".
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
A place where things happen. Sometimes awesome things.
#28TheBlueStigPosted 3/3/2013 8:43:51 AM
gudaman posted...
I hope they do more than hurt Gamestop. Personally, I wish I could be the one twisting the knife in that company's back.

Every single one of you that wants the death of GameStop is asking for the death of the entire gaming industry because you fail to realize how many stores they have and how much NEW content (new hardware and new games) they sell every year. You also totally FAIL to realize that GameStop is NOT the only one selling used games now, Best Buy, Target, WalMart, and many others have been selling used games for years.

None of the hardware makers has the shipping or retail infrastructure to sell their own hardware in numbers large enough to keep up with demand.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#29CyricsServantPosted 3/3/2013 8:47:54 AM
Arucard05 posted...
I'll never understand the hate. The best argument against them appears to be "They gave me the choice to sell my games to them for a lower price than I could get elsewhere and I had absolutely no obligation to do so".

I don't hate GS, but I definitely don't like shopping htere.

They sell new games open . . . Hell, they even sell games "new" without their original cases and manuals. They charge too much, if you don't watch them they sometimes try to switch out original cases with generic cases, they sometimes sell used games that are scratched to hell and don't work, etc.

I'll stick my head in occasionally whenever I'm in the mall and killing time, or when I want a new game and I'm too lazy to drive over to Best Buy . . . but I'm definitely not a fan. When they go under I won't be happy, but I won't weep for them.
#30TheBlueStigPosted 3/3/2013 8:51:30 AM
CyricsServant posted...
When they go under

You people are insane....

They sell more in just 4 months during the Holiday sales season than their nearest game selling competitor (WalMart) does all year long, they're not "going under" at all.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin