This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"New Video Game Consoles Are Hurting GameStop"

#31lostoutlawnbPosted 3/3/2013 8:51:32 AM
I don't like gs business practices and I don't like the way there employees are treated, much like best buy.
#32CyricsServantPosted 3/3/2013 8:56:22 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
CyricsServant posted...
When they go under

You people are insane....

They sell more in just 4 months during the Holiday sales season than their nearest game selling competitor (WalMart) does all year long, they're not "going under" at all.

They'll go under eventually if/ when gaming goes completely digital. I'm definitely not looking forward to that day, and it might make me give up on console gaming completely, but I do think it's coming. Not next gen, maybe not the gen after that, but eventually.
#33KillaBeAtPosted 3/3/2013 9:04:33 AM
Gamestop is treading water. The video-game retailer had it's hay-day in the last decade when gaming was a more niche market, and Gamestop was THE go-to for gaming devices, but now it's such a huge market that it simply won't be able to compete with major electronics retailers who have a huge varied business model. The more big companies like Walmart and etc. etc. begin to expand their business into gaming, the more Gamestops market share is going to fall. They already make like 50% of their profits from used games, and with the rise of digital distribution on the horizon (we can argue that it isn't going to happen, but it is, so I hope you're all ready for it) Gamestop is going to lose another of it's core businesses.

Gamestop won't shutter it's windows but, at best, I see them as a smaller retailer spelling specialty products again.
---
84% of people make up their statistics. If you are one of the 16% that don't, put this in your signature.
#34axelfooley2k5Posted 3/3/2013 9:10:18 AM
god i would love to see them go under

taking advantage of mothers and dumb kids everywhere
---
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, mannn
#35SparkItUpPosted 3/3/2013 9:25:32 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
gudaman posted...
I hope they do more than hurt Gamestop. Personally, I wish I could be the one twisting the knife in that company's back.

Every single one of you that wants the death of GameStop is asking for the death of the entire gaming industry because you fail to realize how many stores they have and how much NEW content (new hardware and new games) they sell every year. You also totally FAIL to realize that GameStop is NOT the only one selling used games now, Best Buy, Target, WalMart, and many others have been selling used games for years.

None of the hardware makers has the shipping or retail infrastructure to sell their own hardware in numbers large enough to keep up with demand.

To be fair, while I disagree with the TC & those asking for the "death of Gamestop", your point is entirely invalid. They wouldn't be the death of the gaming industry if they were to go under...People would just shop elsewhere.
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation
#36SunDevil77Posted 3/3/2013 9:28:10 AM
axelfooley2k5 posted...
god i would love to see them go under

taking advantage of mothers and dumb kids everywhere

...welcome to...basically any corporation?
---
Breakfast foods can serve many purposes
~Ron Swanson
#37joker_cardsPosted 3/3/2013 10:31:31 AM
Retail sucks anywhere you work. You get all the different customers who annoy you, a manager and co-worker you can't stand and so forth. Only difference is other stores actually pay better than GS.

As far as the store and all the cool kids hating on shopping there, its like this. Don't like their trade in prices? Sell them on your own or trade in elsewhere. There is more options than just GS. You don't like "open games sold as new." Again I say, go elsewhere. Usually where there is a GS, there is a target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, ect in the same strip/parking lot.

Back on topic, GS won't hurt too bad if they play their cards right. GS is most people's first choice for gaming needs. Not to mention they could still profit nicely off of the 360, PS3, Wii, ect for years to come easily.
---
Forgive me 360 gods for I have sinned! I got a PS3 to play their exclusives!
XBL Gamertag: jokercards89
#38bubbas111Posted 3/3/2013 11:32:12 AM
KillaBeAt posted...
Gamestop is treading water. The video-game retailer had it's hay-day in the last decade when gaming was a more niche market, and Gamestop was THE go-to for gaming devices, but now it's such a huge market that it simply won't be able to compete with major electronics retailers who have a huge varied business model. The more big companies like Walmart and etc. etc. begin to expand their business into gaming, the more Gamestops market share is going to fall. They already make like 50% of their profits from used games, and with the rise of digital distribution on the horizon (we can argue that it isn't going to happen, but it is, so I hope you're all ready for it) Gamestop is going to lose another of it's core businesses.

Gamestop won't shutter it's windows but, at best, I see them as a smaller retailer spelling specialty products again.

This makes absolutely 0 sense. As long as there is physical gaming, Gamestop will be the go to place to buy games (unless something huge happens to make people stop shopping there, I mean huge). With the industry getting bigger it is only helping them. They may not hold as big of a market share with the industry expanding but they will still be making more money than before. You also fail to realize that they are doing forecasts and preparing for potential moves that Walmart or Target will make.

If anything would kill GS fast it would be having gaming go back to a niche market.
---
gamertag-bubbas111
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=3265619
#39scythecamPosted 3/3/2013 12:00:45 PM
SparkItUp posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
gudaman posted...
I hope they do more than hurt Gamestop. Personally, I wish I could be the one twisting the knife in that company's back.

Every single one of you that wants the death of GameStop is asking for the death of the entire gaming industry because you fail to realize how many stores they have and how much NEW content (new hardware and new games) they sell every year. You also totally FAIL to realize that GameStop is NOT the only one selling used games now, Best Buy, Target, WalMart, and many others have been selling used games for years.

None of the hardware makers has the shipping or retail infrastructure to sell their own hardware in numbers large enough to keep up with demand.

To be fair, while I disagree with the TC & those asking for the "death of Gamestop", your point is entirely invalid. They wouldn't be the death of the gaming industry if they were to go under...People would just shop elsewhere.

Do you really think other retailers would pick up the 20% or so of new game/console/accessory total volume that gs moves?

Because thinking that isnt realistic.
---
One-and-Donecos
#40Last VampirePosted 3/3/2013 12:15:54 PM
lol @ other retailers paying more than Gamestop. I know, for a fact, that Wal-Mart and Target both pay minimum wage, and I have no doubt that other retailers like Best Buy are similar, if not the same.
---
[Exit, pursued by a bear.]
GT:
LafayetteV