This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I made the BEST duke nukem reviw ever.

#21DMCdriverPosted 3/5/2013 10:27:27 PM
Ok, that was pretty good.
---
My pagan girlfriend broke up with me.
Now I got 99 problems, but a witch ain't one.
#22FocianPosted 3/6/2013 5:03:25 AM
That was kinda cool, nice one TC.
---
GT/PSN: Focian
The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect; So hard to earn, so easily burned.
#23rb10001Posted 3/6/2013 8:20:34 AM
This game was released for hardcore duke fans (me) who refreshed 3drealms page looking for news since 1997. Randy is a fan like me. I played him on Kali often back in the day. I played duke3d online from 1996 to 2011. Quake what? duke3d had IGL ladders and was a great deathmatch only for the skilled. When REAL duke fans booted up DNF the first time it gave them goosebumps. Say what you want about the game but don't forget 3drealms was a great developer. This was a game that had one goal (after things went to crap and they knew they couldn't make the Duke they wanted): fan service. I think it did its job. Also, i still thank Randy and Gearbox for making this happen.

Just giving my perspective that's not from some teenager who just bought this game for a $1 who jumps on the hate bandwagon and the ones who call DNF "sexist".

I really wish you had to be over 35 and played duke3d before being able to comment on it.
---
http://youtu.be/xiWIVLNLeoI
#24DakhanavarXPosted 3/7/2013 12:01:40 PM
rb10001 posted...
This game was released for hardcore duke fans (me) who refreshed 3drealms page looking for news since 1997. Randy is a fan like me. I played him on Kali often back in the day. I played duke3d online from 1996 to 2011. Quake what? duke3d had IGL ladders and was a great deathmatch only for the skilled. When REAL duke fans booted up DNF the first time it gave them goosebumps. Say what you want about the game but don't forget 3drealms was a great developer. This was a game that had one goal (after things went to crap and they knew they couldn't make the Duke they wanted): fan service. I think it did its job. Also, i still thank Randy and Gearbox for making this happen.

Just giving my perspective that's not from some teenager who just bought this game for a $1 who jumps on the hate bandwagon and the ones who call DNF "sexist".

I really wish you had to be over 35 and played duke3d before being able to comment on it.

I played & loved Duke 3d back in the day, but that doesn't make this a good Duke game. It tries to poke fun at modern shooter and then ends up using plenty of modern conventions, like regenerating health and weapon carry restrictions. It also has, compared to Duke 3d, virtually no secret areas to find. There's probably more hidden areas in a couple levels of Duke 3d than in all of Forever. On top of that it has offensively long load times, and I'm generally not one to notice or be bothered by load times.

Outside of some one-liners and, as you said, fan service, it doesn't do much of anything all that well. Some elements are average at best, and it just kinda goes downhill from there. It might not deserve quite the flak it gets, but it's not really a game worth defending either. Yeah, it had a long & rocky history and almost never existed, but you shouldn't have to go into a game with a specific mindset to get some enjoyment out of it.

Considering it was barely a throwback to old shooters, it ends up getting compared to current shooters (Understandably so), and then at that point it has very little going for it. I wanted to really like the game, but it's just so positively average by today's standards, and like I said, it's not really enough of a throwback to enjoy it for that reason either. Hell, even the once "edgy" nature of the game barely shines when those types of things are more common in games now.

*Shrugs*
---
Member of the 8-Bit Playas: http://www.youtube.com/user/8BitPlayas
See my game collection: http://darkadia.com/member/Dakhanavar/library