This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What game had the most meaningful story this gen?

#11somebody336Posted 3/5/2013 12:07:37 AM
Mortal Kombat for me.
---
http://crabdom.cu.cc/forums/index.php
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/565290-barbarian-the-ultimate-warrior
#12MatrixAndrAIaPosted 3/5/2013 12:21:00 AM
Dragon Age: Origins - pretty much the only game whose story I actually gave a damn about. Spending time with your party, all of those long conversations at the camp, as well as the epic finale in Denerim? Beautiful stuff all around.

Dark Souls - although I can safely say that you can only get out of it what you put into it.
---
Your name is sung and tattooed now on my heart - here I will carry you forever
Carry Tori Amos
#13XxDeadDragonxXPosted 3/5/2013 4:11:28 AM
Alan Wake

Gears of War 3

Bioshock
---
GT: XvCrimsonWingvX
#14Halo_ForeverPosted 3/5/2013 4:26:13 AM(edited)
Most meaningful is a pretty difficult question, my standard answer of Mass Effect 1, doesn't really cut it. Spec Ops the Line tried, but there are way too many pants on head stupid scenes there to really make it hit home. Rockstar tries to do things like "The Government sucks", "Capitalism Sucks" etc, but they end up so preachy and stupid that I just get annoyed.

Then there are the road trip games like Half-Life 2, The Chronicles of Riddick: Attack on the Dark Athena, The Darkness (original not part II) and Metro 2033 which are told more by their world than actual character interaction, but I don't know if it is meaningful.

My main issue about games trying include meaningful stories is that often they don't work or they do it with the subtlety of the Westboro Babtist Chruch at a LGBT pro-choice rally. Sometimes the mere scenario also becomes problematic, which is my issue with Spec Ops, Apocalypse Now and Heart of Darkness worked because there was a small group of men who followed Kurtz, in Spec Ops due to it being a game it is an entire battalion. Also the game pretends that they can't leave the city despite possessing multiple helicopters that could easily get the word out.

Also gameplay and story contradiction can create some rather humorous situations, e.g. my brother had shot down around 70 000 or 80 000 adversaries in DW Gundam 2 and then gets told that he isn't a murderer. I've been told to spare some super evil guy because "I not a murderer", when my kill count was in three or four digits all of them much less genocidally bent than the guy I am supposed to let go.

Rome218 posted...
Everyone tells me how great Lost Odyssey is, but I don't want to be depressed. From what I've been told, the whole game is depressing, yet it's recommended.

The game itself is very standard JRPG fare, it is the short stories in the game that are the real tear jerkers (the quality between the short stories and main game is quite enormous).
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#15Combo MasterPosted 3/5/2013 4:51:21 AM
Deadly premonition and the walking dead
---
Combo Master
#16Rome218Posted 3/5/2013 4:53:39 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Halo. Before I am finished with this gen, I do want to give that game a chance.
---
I served 8, in war... my father served 23, in war... both of my grandfathers served, in war. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, GWoT, etc. - ScarecrowES
#17Rome218Posted 3/5/2013 4:55:41 AM
Also I cannot believe I forgot to mention Mass Effect. I agree with your decision to only include part 1. Part 3 has an astrix and really ruined a lot. I love the game, but if I were to pick one Mass Effect game based on story, it would undoubtedly be part 1.

I did enjoy part 2 better, but I felt the story in part 1 was a lot better.
---
I served 8, in war... my father served 23, in war... both of my grandfathers served, in war. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, GWoT, etc. - ScarecrowES
#18Halo_ForeverPosted 3/5/2013 4:56:32 AM
Rome218 posted...
Thanks for the heads up, Halo. Before I am finished with this gen, I do want to give that game a chance.

Remember to reserve 50 hours for it, my completionist playthrough is over 80 hours.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#19el_pajoleroPosted 3/5/2013 5:07:41 AM
Spec Ops: The Line hands down. That finale crushed me and left me speechless. Almost made me quit videogames altogether.
---
Another slave to a paycheck.
#20Rome218Posted 3/5/2013 5:11:01 AM
Halo_Forever posted...
Rome218 posted...

Remember to reserve 50 hours for it, my completionist playthrough is over 80 hours.

Yeah, I'm no strangers to JRPGs. =) I grew up during a time when they were all the rage. I am surprised I have not played one this gen, and I am going to make up for that with Lost Odyssey.
---