This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your Golden Age of gaming

#41WinternovaPosted 3/5/2013 5:50:52 PM
1977-1984 for me.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#42jay7018Posted 3/5/2013 5:58:45 PM
Basically everyones golden age should be when they were like 13-18 doesnt matter the system or what games came out. Im 28 now and i will never have the feeling of playing final fantasy 10 as a teen with any game that comes out from now till whenever
---
The Official Pimp Hand of the Tampa Bay Rays...
#43Res5Posted 3/5/2013 6:08:05 PM
I'm thinking the current one. Games are creative and powerful, they incorporate many different ideas and genres, sometimes mixing the two. And if you want your oldies fix there's lots of backwards compatibility (though some has been cut in recent years) and if a developer finds there's a problem with a game they can patch it up. (I'll not consider the possibility that the game may have been left unfinished since I think that's more consumer myth to make game devs look bad than it is truth, at least in most cases.)
---
Welcome....to the next best thing
http://highresgaming.blogspot.com
#44combatcm1Posted 3/5/2013 6:08:16 PM
I played a few game before nes and they were ok, but i wonder the feeling of being born after 2000 and having tons of games and systems already out and what games actually keep people interested.

If someone who is 12 now plays goldeneye or perfect dark i wonder if they think it's fun and if it's entertaining enough to play for a few weeks, months?
#45dankmanaPosted 3/5/2013 7:15:46 PM
5 years ago I would have said the good old first days of the MMORPG. 10 years ago I would have said THIS VERY MOMENT. And then a game like Dark Souls comes out, I buy a console to play it, and lose 200 hours of my life and talk about it with my friends in my early 20s while drinking at bars.
#46mistergrownmanPosted 3/5/2013 7:19:49 PM
SNES/Genesis era.
---
Guns don't kill people. Husbands who come home early do.
#47Warmonger222Posted 3/5/2013 7:59:09 PM
2000-2007

Only including the games I played in this period, not what was released (Have played many more on these consoles since)

Gamecube (My favorite console ever!):
Mario Sunshine
Paper Mario TTYD
Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Tales of Symphonia
Animal Crossing
Super Smash Bros Melee
MGS the Twin Snakes (Never had it on PS1)
Luigis Mansion
Pokemon XD
Sonic Adventure 2

PS2 (I was young at the time and it was my brothers, so I didnt get to pick the games, only had a few):
Jade Cocoon 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Nicktoons Unite
Harvest Moon Back to Nature (PS1 game I played it on the PS2, still play it regularly)
Crash Bash (Also on PS1)

XBox (Didnt own, but friend did):
Halo
Halo 2
Need for Speed (Not sure which one)
Spy vs Spy
Thats all I specifically remember playing on it

Dreamcast (Friend had one, only played it once):
Sonic Adventure

GBC:
Pokemon Gold (I have FAR more nostalgia for this game than any other game, show, experience, or place in my entire life, expanded the period back to 200 just to include this)

GBA:
Pokemon
Zelda: Minish Cap
Pokemon
Banjo Kazooie Gruntys Revenge
DBZ Legacy of Goku 2
Pokemon
Mario and Luigi SS

DS:
M&L Partners in Time
Mario KArt DS
Super MArio 64 DS
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue

Wii (First home console that was exclusively MINE):
Wii Sports
Super Paper Mario
Zelda Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime Trilogy

I feel like I'm missing a lot from each. I know I'm missing a lot from the XBox and PS2, because I wasnt able to play those consoles pretty much whenever, unlike the others.

I feel like since then gaming has SERIOUSLY gone downhill.
---
CoD claims to be M for Mature, but it is really M for Manchildren - Emerald_Melios
#48DMCdriverPosted 3/5/2013 10:38:28 PM
1996 (when I got my Saturn) to today, my Golden Age hasn't ended.
---
My pagan girlfriend broke up with me.
Now I got 99 problems, but a witch ain't one.
#49nissan skylinePosted 3/5/2013 11:15:13 PM
1998-2004

PSX:
Gran Turismo 1
Gran Turismo 2
Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Ridge Racer Type 4
Test Drive 5
Eternal Eyes
Guardian's Crusade (both obscure and pretty much cult favorites, RPG players will hate both)

I apparently beat Jade Cocoon when I was 10. I don't remember how I beat it.

Game Boy/GBA:
Pokemon Red, Yellow, Silver, Sapphire

GameCube:
SSBM
007: Nightfire
TimeSplitters 2

PS2:
Gran Turismo 3
Soul Calibur 2
Need For Speed: Underground
Need For Speed: Most Wanted
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
---
cogito ergo zoom
#50MR_SorenPosted 3/6/2013 8:17:53 AM
Quote:5 years ago I would have said the good old first days of the MMORPG. 10 years ago I would have said THIS VERY MOMENT. And then a game like Dark Souls comes out, I buy a console to play it, and lose 200 hours of my life and talk about it with my friends in my early 20s while drinking at bars.
@dankmana

I said 16-bit era, but I could have easily said this gen instead. I just didn't want to vote for an era that wasn't over yet. Newness can color perception more than nostalgia, and it's too soon to say if any current gen games have withstood the test of time.

Dark Souls, by the way, is the first game since Persona 3 in 1997 to give me that feeling of awe that was so common in my teen years.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
Blog: http://www.red-grenade.com