This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What in your opinion was the most IMPROVED sequel of all-time???

#151liquidleonx3Posted 3/6/2013 9:08:25 AM
TILlegion777 posted...
If you're willing the count it, the change from the old school Dragon Age to Origins was pretty massive. Fallout 3 from Fallout 2 is, from a technical standpoint even if you don't like the gameplay, a massive improvement. King's Field too was massively improved on in Demon's Souls, although that's even easier to dismiss as not a sequel. Red Dead Redemption might fit that too, although I never played Revolver.

I do think those are the only real answers though, games that have skipped several generations and/or been completely rebuilt from the ground up. While a lot of other games might be able to take the cake for best improvements in the shortest amount of time, those games that have simply had such a long period of time between the old and the new where simple technical improvements along have been massive.

How the hell could I forget Elder Scrolls III and Fallout 3? Damn they were good!

Man this topic.. Despite all the bull**** and fiascos with the industry in recent years, I gotta say that in the long run, it feels good to be a gamer. Here's to all the gamers and games that have made the rest of the burdens that life slams us with all that much bearable. Cheers.
---
{-Official Super Saiyan Mega Man X of Everywhere}
I'm waiting for IGN's review. I grew up with it so they're the only reviewers I trust. - HappyUnicorn101
#152Zom3ie_PaulPosted 3/6/2013 9:10:10 AM
Arucard05 posted...
Just Case 2 took an ok game and made a great game.
Red Steel 2 took a bad game and made a good game.
Uncharted 2 took a good game and made one of the best games of all time.

Maybe Red Steel 2, but was it sequel in anything other than name?
---
Pokemon White FC: 4642 6236 6513
http://www.backloggery.com/GamerPaul2011
#153blackhrtPosted 3/6/2013 9:12:19 AM
Why are you all picking Street Fighter 2 only because the 1st one was crappy? There are original games that are awesome where the sequel improved on it!

Folks mentioned Borderlands 2 & Assassins Creed 2. We'd have to find someone who has played all games.

BTW of all time is impossible to answer. 'To date' is a better quantifier.
---
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time. Nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not my clan and their BS. For those 3 games or less, I'm free."
#154blingusPosted 3/6/2013 9:29:10 AM
QuBix posted...
Street Fighter 2. End of topic.

I agree but in some ways I do like SSFIV AE better. I know I dropped more than $60 in quarters playing SF 2 back when it first came out in the arcades.

Other top contenders for me are Zelda:OoT (N64 version) and Halo 3.
---
7200rpm 320GB(OG 60)+320GB Slim PS3s, Reach+Gears 360s, Black Wii U, Modded Xbox, Black Sega DC+Saturn, Panasonic Q, PSP, 64GB iPhone 4S+iPad 4, 3DS XL, PSVITA!
#155BBBanks03(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2013 9:30:49 AM
blackhrt posted...
Why are you all picking Street Fighter 2 only because the 1st one was crappy? There are original games that are awesome where the sequel improved on it!

Folks mentioned Borderlands 2 & Assassins Creed 2. We'd have to find someone who has played all games.

BTW of all time is impossible to answer. 'To date' is a better quantifier.

I think you’re missing the point here. People are picking SF2 BECAUSE the first one was crappy, and the second one was legendary. The sheer amount they managed to improve in just one sequel is exactly why it would be a great fit for “MOST improved”, that’s the point of the topic. It’s the sequel that managed to improve as much as possible from the prior game. A game that is the sequel of another game that was already great already has less to improve from the get-go.

And of all time is not impossible to answer because this is all based on individual opinion, not a factual breakdown or anything like that. So many people are picking SF2 because in their opinion it managed to fix so many things from the first game.
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#1564sakuraHa0Posted 3/6/2013 9:33:17 AM
BBBanks03 posted...
4sakuraHa0 posted...
BBBanks03 posted...
4sakuraHa0 posted...
Rockman/Megaman 2
Street Fighter 2
Resident Evil 2
Suikoden 2

Dang, I can't believe 3 of the best games that I just mentioned come from the game company that I hate currently.

So do I, but man were they the tops back in the day. There was a time when they were literally incapable of making a bad game.

Lol, almost spill my drink when I read that part.
That's a good one.

Oh yeah?? Considering I said "back in the day," I'm just curious here, excluding Street Fighter 1, tell me about any bad games Capcom made during the NES/SNES era.

Lol, I did not mean anything bad.
It's just somehow your comments was hillarious when I read it while drinking my coffee.

I think internet has make it hard for people to interpret honest opinion and troll opinion.
---
If someone post "I don't care", they actually care VERY much.
If they DON'T care, they WON'T bother posting.
#157LinkSamus3Posted 3/6/2013 9:37:18 AM
When I think about the best sequels ever, there are almost too many to pick from. DKC 2, Mario 3, Ocarina of Time, Super Metroid and Sonic 2 all come quickly to mind. There have been a lot of times when a good original game has had virtually all its flaws corrected in the second or third game in the series. But in almost every example I can think of, I always really liked the original games as well. So if I have to pick one that was most improved in the sense that it had more room to improve but still turned out a great game, I'm going to go with...

Star Fox 64.
---
"Don't just beat it, conquer it!" - dungeonconquerorB
#158liquidleonx3Posted 3/6/2013 9:40:37 AM
4sakuraHa0 posted...
BBBanks03 posted...
4sakuraHa0 posted...
BBBanks03 posted...
4sakuraHa0 posted...
Rockman/Megaman 2
Street Fighter 2
Resident Evil 2
Suikoden 2

Dang, I can't believe 3 of the best games that I just mentioned come from the game company that I hate currently.

So do I, but man were they the tops back in the day. There was a time when they were literally incapable of making a bad game.

Lol, almost spill my drink when I read that part.
That's a good one.

Oh yeah?? Considering I said "back in the day," I'm just curious here, excluding Street Fighter 1, tell me about any bad games Capcom made during the NES/SNES era.

Lol, I did not mean anything bad.
It's just somehow your comments was hillarious when I read it while drinking my coffee.

I think internet has make it hard for people to interpret honest opinion and troll opinion.

This is very true. So many people here are put off with others opinions that they immediately cry troll. Not to say that trolls don't exist of course.
---
{-Official Super Saiyan Mega Man X of Everywhere}
I'm waiting for IGN's review. I grew up with it so they're the only reviewers I trust. - HappyUnicorn101
#159MRL3G3NDPosted 3/6/2013 9:54:30 AM
Assasins creed 2...

Part one they built this huge beautiful world with nothing in it...There were like 3 activities to do...over and over and over...

Part 2 had much to do that was relevant
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#160drclaeysPosted 3/6/2013 10:02:33 AM
Friends,

it looks like we have a solid 10 at least here. maybe we can make a poll, so we can see it all in one graph, and not with 4 pages of post.

Mass Effect 2.

Thank you.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan.