This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What in your opinion was the most IMPROVED sequel of all-time???

#161KevinCCPosted 3/6/2013 11:12:23 AM
There's Zelda: A Link to the Past. Bigger, prettier, more structured yet wide-open world, more varied gameplay with tighter controls... of course, Ocarina of Time can be said to do all the same to LttP.

Persona 3 to Personas 1 and 2. Reimagined the concept of the subseries by marrying it to a visual novel and strengthening the presence of the Tarot deck.

However, the crown likely goes to Final Fantasy IV - the game introduced and codified many standards of the genre and is still a standout of the series (EASILY in the top three). The ATB system started here, the first departure from fully turn-based or hack-and-slash battles that I know of.

...Wow, two of my examples were from the dawn of the Super Nintendo. Makes some sense, given the sheer visibility of the technological leaps of the 90's.
---
...as opposed to an average game.
#162blackhrtPosted 3/6/2013 11:15:21 AM
BBBanks03 posted...
blackhrt posted...
Why are you all picking Street Fighter 2 only because the 1st one was crappy? There are original games that are awesome where the sequel improved on it!

Folks mentioned Borderlands 2 & Assassins Creed 2. We'd have to find someone who has played all games.

BTW of all time is impossible to answer. 'To date' is a better quantifier.

I think you’re missing the point here. People are picking SF2 BECAUSE the first one was crappy, and the second one was legendary. The sheer amount they managed to improve in just one sequel is exactly why it would be a great fit for “MOST improved”, that’s the point of the topic. It’s the sequel that managed to improve as much as possible from the prior game. A game that is the sequel of another game that was already great already has less to improve from the get-go.

And of all time is not impossible to answer because this is all based on individual opinion, not a factual breakdown or anything like that. So many people are picking SF2 because in their opinion it managed to fix so many things from the first game.

Not always. There are games that were vastly improved upon even though the previous game did very well. It goes both ways.

BTW I'm sorry if I took the technical definition of all time. No more future games can be compared then. >_>
---
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time. Nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not my clan and their BS. For those 3 games or less, I'm free."
#163EyeSeeNo1Posted 3/6/2013 11:19:43 AM
Assassin's Creed 2
---
http://i54.tinypic.com/o50pr9.gif
#164megamanx1291Posted 3/6/2013 12:00:07 PM
Red Steel 2

/topic.

Nah just kdding but Red Steel 2 is friggen awesome.
---
There is a 0% chance of this happening.
3DS Fc: 0087-2393-7303
#165UilnslcoapPosted 3/6/2013 12:05:43 PM
I stick by Uncharted 2, but some other reasonable ones I've seen here are Assassin's Creed II, and Donkey Kong Country 2 (one of my favorite games, and definitely a leap over the first one).

I imagine it's been said here, but I didn't see it: Super Mario Bros. 3 is a pretty huge leap forward over its predecessors (either the Japanese or American SMB2 is significantly worse).
#166me1324Posted 3/6/2013 12:09:05 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...
Mass Effect 2.
#167MettanAtemPosted 3/6/2013 12:22:08 PM
Just from games I've played....Banjo Tooie.
It took everything good AND bad about Banjo Kazooie, and made it all MUCH better.
#168jcavantPosted 3/6/2013 12:30:21 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#169BadDecisionsPosted 3/6/2013 12:38:09 PM
Street Fighter II, no contest.
It took a terrible, broken game and made it into something astonishing.
This isn't a question of "best" sequel, it's most improved.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSLJJDRA-jQ
Rate and subscribe. Very good best videos all the day!
#170QuBixPosted 3/6/2013 12:48:35 PM
I thought I was clear with post #3 that the topic is done?! Street Fighter 2 is the answer. SF was a horrible game, the special moves did not work right, the character selection was either Ryu or Ken. The game was just broken and passing it was a chore. Street Fighter 2 defined the genre and spawned games like Mortal Kombat, any SNK fighter etc.

As for GTA3, it did things right but, BUT GTA1&2 were still fun to play on PC/PSOne unlike Street Fighter. So I automatically dismiss it from this topic along with 99.9% of the stuff these kids are mentioning. Please, if your first system was a PS2, you have no idea what defines this topic. ME2, AC, New Vegas lol to all.
---
XBLive Tag: QuBics
PSN Tag: QuBix