This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What in your opinion was the most IMPROVED sequel of all-time???

#201KLOUDrocksPosted 3/8/2013 12:39:59 AM
fiasco86 posted...
To those saying Halo 2: name one thing Halo 2 did better than Halo CE and I will either

A. Explain why it wasn't, in fact, done better OR
B. Name two things it did worse.

The campaign was better. This holds true to me because I found the first game to be incredibly boring, especially the first level with the Flood. It became incredibly repetitive. Not only that, but you then had to go back through the previous levels, only increasing the repetition of it all.

Mind you, I'm not a Halo fan. I've beaten 1-3 because of friends that needed co-op partners and I've played online for the same reason, but I just find it to be a very boring series compared to other ones out there.
#202fiasco86Posted 3/8/2013 1:30:50 PM
queirotacobell posted...
Zelda attp
Super metroid
Cod 4
Halo 2
Burnout 3
Smb 3
Pokemon gs

fiasco86 posted...
To those saying Halo 2: name one thing Halo 2 did better than Halo CE and I will either

---
Halo 1 LAN vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhjWnJU2EKY
#203Killah PriestPosted 3/8/2013 1:32:26 PM
Morrowind
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#204zinsindettaPosted 3/8/2013 1:33:09 PM
Magna Carta 2. I played the first one on PS2 and that game was unplayable bad. 2 on the 360 was one of my favorite JRPG's this gen.
---
Gamertag/PSN - http://gamercards.exophase.com/31441.png
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/default.aspx?player=SinZinDetta
#205fiasco86Posted 3/8/2013 2:12:55 PM(edited)
KLOUDrocks posted...
The campaign was better. This holds true to me because I found the first game to be incredibly boring, especially the first level with the Flood. It became incredibly repetitive. Not only that, but you then had to go back through the previous levels, only increasing the repetition of it all.

Mind you, I'm not a Halo fan. I've beaten 1-3 because of friends that needed co-op partners and I've played online for the same reason, but I just find it to be a very boring series compared to other ones out there.

Disclaimer: This entire post is my opinion. If you like Halo 2, that's fine. These are some of the reasons I don't.

Halo 2's campaign was far inferior to Halo 1's. Here are a few reasons why, off the top of my head (mind you I haven't actually played the Halo 2 campaign all the way through in years, mostly because I think it's a pile of crap, but here's what I remember):

1. Halo 2 was marketed as Master Chief returning to Earth to fend off a Covenant invasion. There are actually only 2 missions that take place on Earth before MC follows the Covenant into space.

2. Halo 2's story is totally unoriginal; it is essentially a lazy rewrite of Halo 1's story. Here are the main components of each
- You start on-board a human spaceship/space station that is besieged by covenant.
- You stumble across a Halo ring.
- You discover the flood on the Halo.
- You have to endure another awful Library level.
- In Halo 2, as the Arbiter, you seek out the index, just as MC did in Halo 1.
- Once both parties acknowledge that activating the Halo is not in their best interest, you spend the rest of the game trying to prevent it from firing (just like in Halo 1).
- The games finish with Chief on a ship, headed back to Earth

The few significant differences are:
- The Covenant backstory, which is fine, but it takes away from their mysteriousness
- The Gravemind, which really serves no purpose in enhancing the story

3. Halo 2 switches between the Arbiter and Master Chief as main playable characters. Some people loved it, but most hated it. Master Chief was emerging as THE action hero of gaming. People wanted to kick Covenant ass as MC, not as some random Elite General.

4. That cliffhanger ending. Just when you think you're finally going to get back to Earth and defend it from a massive Covenant invasion as you were led to believe you would.......CREDITS. The ending felt at least 3-4 hours of gameplay away, but nope, it was right there.

Other general badness
-- Elites suddenly speak English, again taking away from their mysteriousness
-- Both enemy and friendly AI was worse

Regarding your complaint of repetitiveness in Halo 1:
I've heard this complaint before and, in general, I just don't see it. There are a few areas which admittedly were repetitive(the interior areas in AoTCR, Two Betrayals, and 343 Guilty Spark; and the entirety of the Library level, which was by far the worst of the campaign), but for the most part it's fresh. Yes, there are a couple of levels where you backtrack, but they did a good job of keeping it fresh with different lighting, different vehicle segments, and different enemies. Plus you're going backwards, which is quite different gameplay-wise. Additionally, it fits in with what's going on story-wise.

Here are a few reasons why the Halo 1 campaign was better (I could list more)
- Smarter AI
- Instant classic missions (Halo, first half of T&R, Silent Cartographer (getting dropped on that beach still sits near the top of my list of most awesome gaming moments ever), AoTCR
- Probably the most epic finish to any FPS (maybe even any game?) ever.
---
Halo 1 LAN vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhjWnJU2EKY
#206crucialPosted 3/8/2013 2:57:18 PM
SF2 hand's down

GTA 3 is at a close 2nd
#207BBBanks03(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 7:19:42 PM
fiasco86 posted...

I do in fact technically agree, and do tend to view Halo 2 as more of a step back in every way. Though I will say playing on Live, and really inventing the XBL community and being able to get a multiplayer match at any time is something the original can't match no matter how you slice it.

Aside from that, I agree. I think the original did everything else better in every way.
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#208SHAO-KhanPosted 3/8/2013 7:27:57 PM
Tomb Raider 3
Dynasty Warriors 8
Mortal Kombat 2
Uncharted 2
Resident Evil 5
---
"If we're Evil or Divine , We're the Last in Line" - Ronnie James Dio
#209KLOUDrocksPosted 3/9/2013 12:49:43 AM
fiasco86 posted...
Regarding your complaint of repetitiveness in Halo 1:
I've heard this complaint before and, in general, I just don't see it. There are a few areas which admittedly were repetitive(the interior areas in AoTCR, Two Betrayals, and 343 Guilty Spark; and the entirety of the Library level, which was by far the worst of the campaign), but for the most part it's fresh. Yes, there are a couple of levels where you backtrack, but they did a good job of keeping it fresh with different lighting, different vehicle segments, and different enemies. Plus you're going backwards, which is quite different gameplay-wise. Additionally, it fits in with what's going on story-wise.

You named four levels that were "admittedly" repetitive (or at least had repetitive parts). There are only ten in the entire game. That seems like a pretty high percentage of the game to me...or at least high enough to take note of. And you still didn't include the ending of The Truth and Reconciliation, which I found to be quite tedious. (I'm using the Halo wikia page as a reference for level names, so hopefully that's the right one. I'm talking about the scene where you have to fight wave after wave of enemies before finally getting beamed up to the ship.)

Now, I do admit that there are other factors that may have played a role into my rankings of the Halo games. For instance, back when I played the first game, I played it with a group of friends that weren't that good at games (or at teamwork). This caused a lot of parts to be repetitive, as they would constantly die and I'd have to either die (sometimes by choice, sometimes not) or run back to respawn them. By the time I played Halo 2, I had returned from college and was able to play with my brother, who proved to be a much better player (in both skill and teamwork) than those I played with before.

Another thing is that, by the time Halo 2 came out, I had already gotten over the anti-Halo mentality I had. I mean, I still dislike the series, but I'd imagine I let my disliking bother me a bit more at the beginning. This was because I was going through the game realizing that so many other games had done this or that better (though I do admit that the team-based AI of the enemies was easily the best of its time). The other additions the series made were additions that I disliked, such as vehicles and the like (I still prefer FPS games to have little to no vehicular combat).

Last, but not least, I found the factions to be rather boring, except for the Covenant. The humans, and especially Master Chief, were dull and lacked personality. The flood were aggravating...and that's all. Playing as the Arbiter allowed me to play as the only race that seemed remotely interesting to me.

Also, just as an FYI, I do believe that Halo: Combat Evolved was better than Halo 2. This is because both games were known for their multiplayer, and I found Halo 1 to be much more entertaining. I was just mentioning the campaign because you had asked for reasons for people to choose 2 over 1, and that was the obvious answer to me.
#210GENERALJA0Posted 3/9/2013 1:34:05 AM
The people saying assassins creed 2 is better then the first got to be crazy. I played the first one all the way through several times.

The second game about half way through I just stopped playing just didn't have the same epic feel the first one had....
---
^^^ Above statements are my opinions and mine alone...
PSN- KiLLURjA0 XBL - KiLLER JA0