This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Publisher with the worst business practices?

#1DoramiPosted 3/5/2013 10:29:56 PM
Which publisher has the most consumer unfriendly business model? - Results (171 votes)
Activision-Blizzard
11.11% (19 votes)
Aeria Games
0.58% (1 votes)
Capcom
29.82% (51 votes)
Electronic Arts
50.29% (86 votes)
Square-Enix
0% (0 votes)
Tecmo Koei
0% (0 votes)
Tencents
0% (0 votes)
Ubisoft
0.58% (1 votes)
Zynga
4.09% (7 votes)
Other (please specify)
3.51% (6 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Notes:
1. Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony were excluded on purpose because this poll is about game publishing/distribution. Their business practices with regard to platforms gets in the way of identifying publisher practices.

2. This is about their business model with respect to games. The quality of games is not necessarily a problem, unless you think their business model involves purposely releasing shovelware. For example, even though a lot of people believe Ninja Theory never released a good game, they would not count (even if they were a publisher), because it seems they are just bad at making games.
---
"Just for reference, a Radeon 7950 with "only" 3GB of GDDR5 memory retails for about $300 USD. That's about $100 per gig." - Alaster111
#2MadDewgPosted 3/5/2013 10:36:27 PM
I voted "other"...for all of the above, lol
---
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg Playin' bayonetta, fire emblem awakening, one piece pirate warriors, borderlands 2, rogue galaxy, fire emblem radiant dawn, dust:
#3knives outPosted 3/5/2013 10:43:12 PM
whoever else voted 'other' did not specify!! how rude...
---
Remember.... violence is NEVER the answer. Sometimes, though, it's the question... and the answer is "Yes".
#4scoobydoobydontPosted 3/5/2013 10:47:39 PM
EA by a wide margin.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#5Infinite 2003Posted 3/5/2013 10:52:37 PM
EA and/or Capcom. I voted EA.
---
Go Habs Go!
http://a.yfrog.com/img858/4876/ycqzy.jpg
#6buddhamonsterPosted 3/5/2013 11:17:23 PM
I was split between Capcom and EA. Voted EA simply because I buy more from them, so I have more experiences with their BS.
---
Hey Trashcan Man! What did old lady Semple say when you burned her pension check?
Boston Bruins - 2011 Stanley Cup Champs!
#7AApt24Posted 3/5/2013 11:21:12 PM
Its capcom.

Have you seen their fighting games recently? They are basically all the same game with limited modes, the same characters, and they have the balls to list Ultimate MVC3 and regular MVC3 for the same price on XBL, and their 1200 XBL point DLC is just a bunch of stupid alternate costumes.

EA comes in second with their idiot season passes and online passes, but at least their games come with more than the bare bones gameplay modes and can actually been differentiated between one another.
---
"This Year in Jerusalem."
#8SheepinatorPosted 3/5/2013 11:37:45 PM
Dorami posted...
For example, even though a lot of people believe Ninja Theory never released a good game, they would not count (even if they were a publisher), because it seems they are just bad at making games.

79% Heavenly Sword
82% Enslaved
86% Devil May Cry
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#9SheepinatorPosted 3/5/2013 11:46:01 PM
I didn't expect the poll to make sense, because people can't tell the difference between something they don't want or like, and something that is bad business practice. That would be onerous EULA's, spamming of friends, forced registrations, always online DRM, game breaking bugs slowly fixed if at all, etc.

AApt24 posted...
Its capcom.

Have you seen their fighting games recently? They are basically all the same game with limited modes, the same characters, and they have the balls to list Ultimate MVC3 and regular MVC3 for the same price on XBL, and their 1200 XBL point DLC is just a bunch of stupid alternate costumes.

Bad business practice now equates to offering consumer choice? That's like hating on Apple because iPods have different colors. Buy the one you want, ignore the rest. Same goes for DLC, if you don't want it, don't buy it.

EA comes in second with their idiot season passes and online passes

Season passes = discounts. Online passes non issue for most people buying new, or if your intent was to give the developer nothing then why think you have the right to complain?
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#10The DevourerPosted 3/6/2013 12:11:38 AM
I think Sega. It seems like anything published by them has so many issues not related to just being a bad game, but issues during development... maybe I don't know a lot about them but it seems like they're just bad.

EA is bad for milking us on BF3 to be honest. They released the base game for 60, if you were lucky you got B2K with it for free, otherwise that was 15, THEN they went so far as to release the Premium crap which INCLUDED B2K so if you bought their "only" DLC before that you really only saved 10$ for buying the Premium thing. So you pay 60 for a game, then 50 more for 75$ worth of content (you have 15 of which already, likely enough whether you paid for it or not) for a grand total of 110 or 125. THEN they release Premium Edition for 60. The base game never even dropped to the comparable price of 10$ or anything close (Premium is 50 so 50+10). They just screw over people who got the game prior to this whole deal so hard offering no benefits to them whatsoever.

People who got the game but never got B2K got a better end of the deal easily. I think that is a pretty trashy way to handle things.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7