This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Publisher with the worst business practices?

#11SheepinatorPosted 3/5/2013 11:22:00 PM(edited)
The Devourer posted...
EA is bad for milking us on BF3 to be honest. They released the base game for 60, if you were lucky you got B2K with it for free, otherwise that was 15, THEN they went so far as to release the Premium crap which INCLUDED B2K so if you bought their "only" DLC before that you really only saved 10$ for buying the Premium thing. So you pay 60 for a game, then 50 more for 75$ worth of content (you have 15 of which already, likely enough whether you paid for it or not) for a grand total of 110 or 125. THEN they release Premium Edition for 60. The base game never even dropped to the comparable price of 10$ or anything close (Premium is 50 so 50+10). They just screw over people who got the game prior to this whole deal so hard offering no benefits to them whatsoever.

People who got the game but never got B2K got a better end of the deal easily. I think that is a pretty trashy way to handle things.

There is so much wrong in that post. If you bought BF3 at launch you got a bonus of B2K for free. If you didn't, you didn't get the free bonus. That's your fault. And the Season Pass is a discount, nothing wrong there, most or all the other publishers do exactly the same thing yet strangely they are exempt from hate. Oh and then you're complaining because the game dropped in price... like every other game does...
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#12The DevourerPosted 3/5/2013 11:35:55 PM(edited)
Every game drops in price to include content that's not even out, right? BF3PE was available well before all the DLC was out.

They touted about how it was such a savings with 75$ of content. Plenty of people likely had 15 of it so you're only saving 10 on it which is nothing. They should have handled it better. It's just milking for money. It's the only game I even know of that they would have charged you over double the price of the base game alone along with including content with something that you've already owned prior to them ever announcing the Premium stuff. It's not "just another" season pass with the BF3 stuff. The entire circumstances surrounding it are scummy.

Every season pass? I'm pretty sure they tell you straight up there's one available when a game launches. They don't put you in a position to buy certain content prior to telling you about a season pass that includes that content already while touting about the savings of it. That would be like if Halo 4 had the map pass, but they neglected to even announce it until months after the first map pack was available for purchase and download (which you know about since launch). THEN they turn around and tell you about this fancy season pass that includes the content you already purchased then tell you it's being discounted when you're saving almost nothing if you already purchased it or had it for any other reason. I don't know of a single other instance where they've done something like this.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#13SheepinatorPosted 3/5/2013 11:45:01 PM
tldr you're complaining about a discount for a season pass for everyone, and you're complaining about a bonus for buying at launch. You don't see how that sounds a bit ridiculous?
---
#14The DevourerPosted 3/5/2013 11:52:01 PM
Being intentionally obtuse? It wasn't just a bonus for free with the game. They also charged you for it if you didn't get it already. It was also included in the whole package deal. That still has yet to touch on the shady business of that well ahead of the announcement of any sort of season pass which included content that was already released and charged you for if you didn't get it free.

It's hardly an issue like you're trying to say.
---
#15sktgamer_13dudePosted 3/5/2013 11:56:46 PM
Tied between Activision, Capcom, and EA for me.
---
http://i48.tinypic.com/27x07mg.jpg http://i50.tinypic.com/33nyrk1.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2zsqybr.jpg http://i46.tinypic.com/dgm3rt.jpg WSU Dream Team 2013
#16SheepinatorPosted 3/5/2013 11:57:11 PM
Let me get this straight. If you bought the game at launch then bought the season pass, you saved money. If you bought the game after launch, then bought B2K, then bought the season pass, you saved money. Finally if you bought the game after launch, didn't buy B2K, then you bought the season pass, you also saved money. That sum it up? Saving money = evil now, apparently.
---
#17The DevourerPosted 3/6/2013 12:03:35 AM
I'm glad to see you go with the train of thought they want you to go with on that. You save money so there's absolutely nothing possibly shady or otherwise unbecoming about the handling of it at all.
---
#18wombat013Posted 3/6/2013 12:07:53 AM
was there any doubt that it would be EA? What a terrible company. They ruin everything they touch.
---
He who needs a pat on the back makes every man his judge
#19zyxomma100Posted 3/6/2013 12:43:25 AM
EA. They are by far the most consumer unfriendly company, and they are the only game maker to staunchly come out and say that they want to take away the rights of consumers. They want to control what I can do with the disc I buy from them. Their ideal business model is one where the customer doesn't own anything or have any rights, and simply has to rebuy a newer version (or a license for the same game) every 1-2 years.

They actively pursued several illegal/borderline illegal monopolies on sports games. (Yes, illegal, as determined by courts, as least in the case of NCAA football.) They've used these monopolies to stifle progress in the genre, and I've watched as a franchise I once respected (Madden) turn into a game I wouldn't pay $20 for new.

They have terrible support for online servers. Yes, I know that servers cost money, but EA still has the worst overall service record for keeping servers up, even for games that have Online Passes, which were supposed to ensure that EA collected their money from everyone using the server.

And there are other things I don't like about them, but apparently I can't talk about them.
#20656stoogePosted 3/6/2013 12:46:21 AM
Seeing as everything that other companies do that is consider crappy was first introduced by EA, I'm going to have to go with those guys.
---
Meet the new love of my life--
http://itotd.com/view/80/