This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tomb Raider is the RE4 of this gen

#61supersvegetaPosted 3/10/2013 6:00:50 PM
I'll have to look into getting Tomb Raider down the line then, TC. I loved RE4 on my Gamecube.
---
I believe it's time I gave these young people a proper lesson in violence. -Walter
http://www.trueachievements.com/mygames.aspx?gamerid=25926&complete=1
#62scoobydoobydontPosted 3/11/2013 3:28:58 AM(edited)
KillaBeAt posted...
ITT: The vast majority of critics and gamers have terrible opinions because they don't agree with me.

I am not even a big fan of the Resident Evil series, but to say that the game wasn't beloved by critics:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/resident-evil-4
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/resident-evil-4-wii-edition
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/resident-evil-4-hd

And didn't revitalize a RAPIDLY stagnating franchise:
RE1: 5.05m
RE2: 6.35m
RE3: 3.72m
RE:CV: 2.34m
Outbreak: 1.45m
Outbreak File 2: .57m
RE4: 5.31m

is just short sighted.

You can sit here and debate the importance of the game all afternoon (though the term "debate" is applied pretty loosely here since most children can form more coherent arguments than the people in this topic), but don't try and act like the game wasn't incredibly beloved for it's time. Maybe not by you but, believe it or not, you don't make up the general opinion.

lol, so you combine late ports to artificially boost RE4's numbers while not doing so for the older ones, and you stuff spin offs inbetween to make RE seem like it was in great decline. And you're going to lecture me? Get out of here with this intellectually dishonest BS. I won't even bother with the Metacritic strawman, if MC is relevant to you good riddance. Most gamers don't give a **** about RE4, 5 million is a drop in the bucket of gamingdom, so using popularity contest arguments won't help you unless you say "lets take the argument just far enough to make me seem right, but no further".

RE3->RE4, original platform sales being the only reasonable comparison, were barely a needle skip apart, and you can spin it all you want, RE stayed consistently well liked/relevant to the market throughout the transition, while changing everything about the series' identity. People with no taste forming a bandwagon (one that is much bigger now from nostalgic hype than it was in its own time) means nothing to me, I don't give a s***. Angry Birds and Farmville are even more popular than that, zero f***s given.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#63NakedSnake1986(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 3:32:40 AM
so you combine late ports to artificially boost RE4's numbers while not doing so for the older ones, and you stuff spin offs inbetween to make RE seem like it was in great decline

You'll never be a polictian I take?.
---
Tied to a wheel, fingers got to feel,
Bleeding through a tourniquet smile
#64chex81Posted 3/11/2013 4:11:26 AM
pothocket posted...
I'm with Scoobydooby, RE4 is one of gaming's most overrated titles.

I was a big fan of RE until that "game".

Same, where most say RE4 'fixed' the series I find it dumbed it down a lot.

I grew up playing the tomb raiders as well, always been a fan. Funny that resident evil and tomb raider were the reasons I bought a psx.

This TR although very different is a much needed revival and CD did a great job.
---
gt/psn: chex81
#65MeadBellyPosted 3/11/2013 4:19:52 AM
RE4 was an amazing game. One of the most memorable experiences in my gaming life. And yes, I did play the early RE's. And I can tell you it wasn't scary.

Hearing a chainsaw while I was low on ammo in RE4 was scarier than anything RE2 ever did.
---
Brick brick brick brick
#66TheWaitingPosted 3/11/2013 6:06:39 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...
RE4 would have been great if I didn't care about Resident Evil. Or something as basic as walking while shooting in my action games. Too bad I do. I guess if anyone wrung any enjoyment from it, good for them. I couldn't.

Yeah I care so much about resident evil! Why in gods name did they not allow walking and shooting!?! I mean now its nothing like resident evil 1-cv....oh wait a min....
---
GAMERTAG:SollessWarrior
#67Chewy247Posted 3/11/2013 6:33:21 AM
RE4 is easily the best game of the series. I've been playing since RE2. I knew RE4 was a classic within the first hour of the game, it was like nothing else at the time.
---
Back to Nintendo And Sony
#68pothocketPosted 3/11/2013 6:38:02 AM
I honestly thought this was a troll topic about TR being casualized and ruined.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#69scoobydoobydontPosted 3/11/2013 7:22:13 AM(edited)
TheWaiting posted...
scoobydoobydont posted...
RE4 would have been great if I didn't care about Resident Evil. Or something as basic as walking while shooting in my action games. Too bad I do. I guess if anyone wrung any enjoyment from it, good for them. I couldn't.

Yeah I care so much about resident evil! Why in gods name did they not allow walking and shooting!?! I mean now its nothing like resident evil 1-cv....oh wait a min....

Nice try, but walking and shooting is important in an action game, which RE4 is clearly trying to be and the genre people falsely credit it with revolutionizing. If you bothered to read what I've said, I said it was BOTH a bad action game AND a bad Resident Evil game. It's okay though, I don't have high expectations for discussions with RE fans anyways.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#70ChezDispenserPosted 3/11/2013 7:37:44 AM
I'll never understand the appreciation for older RE games. They're *not fun.*
---
Goddamn!