This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ubisoft to PETA: "We do not condone whaling"

#1TravarkothPosted 3/7/2013 11:24:13 AM
"... just as we donít condone a pirate lifestyle"

... one of the new aspects of Assassinís Creed IV: Black Flag is hunting whales. That led animal-rights group PETA to call the game ďdisgracefulĒ in a statement.

GamesBeat contacted Ubisoft about PETAís stance, and the publisher provided the following response:

"History is our playground in Assassinís Creed. Assassinís Creed IV: Black Flag is a work of fiction that depicts the real events during the Golden Era of Pirates. We do not condone illegal whaling, just as we donít condone a pirate lifestyle of poor hygiene, plundering, hijacking ships, and over-the-legal-limit drunken debauchery."

http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/06/ubisoft-to-peta-we-do-not-condone-whaling-just-as-we-dont-condone-a-pirate-lifestyle/
---
What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?
--Bastila Shan
#2mrhappyguy12345Posted 3/7/2013 11:26:03 AM
That's about as serious a response as peta deserves lol.
---
I love video games : )
#3pothocketPosted 3/7/2013 11:26:06 AM
Why does PETA give AC free press but not Dishonored? Other games murder whales too!
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#4ACHEEKSMALLOYPosted 3/7/2013 11:26:14 AM
Why is PETA still a thing?
---
http://www.youtube.com/ALMIGHTYCHEEKS
#5Akiba69Posted 3/7/2013 11:26:29 AM
We have reached such a pathetic point in society where people need to defend their actions for doing something in a work of fiction, and also for representing things that were relevant for their time. Not only is an apology unneeded, so is feeling the need to explain yourself.
#6r_u_mad_broPosted 3/7/2013 11:27:22 AM
Haha nice. I guess PETA has no problems with a pirate lifestyle, since they didn't complain about that.
#7mrhappyguy12345Posted 3/7/2013 11:28:18 AM
Akiba69 posted...
We have reached such a pathetic point in society where people need to defend their actions for doing something in a work of fiction, and also for representing things that were relevant for their time. Not only is an apology unneeded, so is feeling the need to explain yourself.

I don't think they're taking peta seriously at all. The response stinks of smartassness.
---
I love video games : )
#8pothocketPosted 3/7/2013 11:28:43 AM
r_u_mad_bro posted...
Haha nice. I guess PETA has no problems with a pirate lifestyle, since they didn't complain about that.

They've shown again and again they don't care about people, just animals.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#9BingSanpaoPosted 3/7/2013 11:30:41 AM
That's awesome.
#10homestylesPosted 3/7/2013 11:31:17 AM
Akiba69 posted...

Well-put.