This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

EA should take a look at today's poll

#91SheepinatorPosted 3/10/2013 10:50:56 AM
CyricsServant posted...
I doubt they're making policy decisions based on that criterion. I think they're more interested in sales. If they want to make money off of me, they know how. If they don't they can just keep doing what they're doing. No skin off my nose.

We already established they don't know you or what it would take to get your money. I think most people who buy used do so because it's cheaper. The claims I see here about, "If the publisher were less evil or if the game was better or longer or blah blah blah", I don't buy those excuses, I think the majority of those people would still buy used because it's cheaper.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#92CyricsServantPosted 3/10/2013 10:59:40 AM(edited)
Sheepinator posted...
CyricsServant posted...
Lower than expected sales. EA is well aware that its policies cause some gamers to wait for discounts, buy their products used, or skip over their games entirely.

THQ had lower than expected sales. They were the first publisher to implement online passes. They also did pre-order bonuses, season passes, etc. They gave us good games like Red Faction Guerrilla, Saints Row series, Darksiders series, de Blob series, Company of Heroes, etc. Now they're gone, with huge job losses. Well done gamers for sending a message, huh?

What's your overall point? Am I supposed to feel guilty? If we didn't send our gaming dollars to Gamefly, Amazon, and Gamestop, they'd have to fire people too.

Anyway, I support developers I respect and I don't support those I don't. If the ones I don't support go out of business, that's unfortunate, but that's life. The gaming industry, for better or worse, is in a state of constant flux in which new developers are constantly being created and older ones are collapsing.

If EA were to collapse, yes, a lot of people would lose their jobs in the short term and that's unfortunate, but I'm not a welfare provider. I'm not obligated to keep EA in business. And more importantly, I'm sure a lot of talent at EA would go on to form new development studios, and the vacuum created by EA's absence might give rise to new publishers and new policies too.
#93CyricsServantPosted 3/10/2013 11:03:10 AM(edited)
Sheepinator posted...
CyricsServant posted...
I doubt they're making policy decisions based on that criterion. I think they're more interested in sales. If they want to make money off of me, they know how. If they don't they can just keep doing what they're doing. No skin off my nose.

We already established they don't know you or what it would take to get your money. I think most people who buy used do so because it's cheaper. The claims I see here about, "If the publisher were less evil or if the game was better or longer or blah blah blah", I don't buy those excuses, I think the majority of those people would still buy used because it's cheaper.

We haven't established that they don't know what it would take to get my gaming dollars. There are a lot of vocal people on the internet, Sheep. I think you're underestimating EA's upper management just a bit . . . and if you're not, then EA's shareholders need to clean house and get a new Board in place.

Also, as for why people buy EA's games used. . . maybe the majority buy them because they're significantly cheaper, but not me.

I'll slap down $60 on day one for a game like Batman: Arkham City or Dark Souls. But I won't for EA.

And your argument doesn't change the fact that EA's games drop in value waaaaaaay faster than other devs/publishers. There's a reason for that.
#94SheepinatorPosted 3/10/2013 11:05:17 AM
CyricsServant posted...
And your argument doesn't change the fact that EA's games drop in value waaaaaaay faster than other devs/publishers. There's a reason for that.

I've seen that. It could be their marketing team gets bonuses for launch sales so they push retail to accept as many units as possible, leading to retailer assisted sales weeks later. If EA followed your logic they would ship fewer units of the next game, but they don't, so it appears to be deliberate business practice, probably bonus related like I said.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#95CyricsServantPosted 3/12/2013 4:30:40 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/12/simcity-server-not-necessary/

I will say this about EA, I find them incredibly entertaining. It seems like every month they're the source of some new controversy.
#96ajzootPosted 3/13/2013 2:13:31 PM
Sheepinator posted...
ajzoot posted...
Fifa's microtransaction system DIRECTLY LEAD to an increase in organized crime on xbox live.

That's a bit of a stretch. Sounds more like a combination of lazy uers, phishing and coincidence. How would you avoid it? Take away the DRM rights that let non-owners use content purchased by another gamertag on the same 360? That would annoy a ton of people.

Most of the time, if the owners of those usernames and passwords have any sort of basic online security experience at least, this won't work and at least the password will be wrong so the hacker can't get in. Some people, however, are lazy and use the same password and username / e-mail across multiple sites. When this happens, the hackers that get your info from "Site A" can then go use it at "Site B, C, D, E, etc." because it is all the same.

That seems to be what is happening specifically with these FIFA 12 hacks. Usernames and passwords are taken from one site, and then are used to try to log into other sites. In this case, they are trying dozens or hundreds of username/password combinations for Xbox Live accounts until they find one that works. Then they sign in and buy a ton of Microsoft Points with the stolen account's credit card. How do we know this is connected to FIFA 12? Because pretty much all of these recent hacked accounts were used to buy FIFA 12 Ultimate Team card packs. Sometimes the hackers even PLAY FIFA 12 on the stolen account, which the account owner can easily see by checking Xbox.com. Electronic Arts hasn't said anything officially on the matter. Frankly, it doesn't appear to be their fault, just an unfortunate coincidence that one of their games is the catalyst for this happening.

http://xbox.about.com/od/news/a/Xbox-Live-Fifa-12-Hack-Explained.htm

First you say it's a stretch, but then at the same time you link to an article that says in no uncertain terms we know the two are connected, and that it was the catalyst for it happening.... It was Fifa 12 because of the micro transaction system. No two ways about it.

The article is right, it wasn't that servers with account info were hacked or that the info was somehow made available by EA....EA never spoke about it because there's really no sense in bringing to light the fact that the new system makes theft significantly more lucrative, and it's here to stay.
---
They say cooking is about experimenting, but no matter how many drugs I take it still tastes like crap...It needs more LSD, It doesn't taste loud enough yet.
#97shawnmckPosted 3/13/2013 2:46:02 PM
It wouldn't matter...

EA is ran by businessmen and corporate rich guys, and NOT gamers.
If they played video-games then sure, they would realize what they are doing is detrimental and actually a negative.
But their idea of a past-time is probably sipping wine & nibbling on caviar while they fly their private jet to New York to attend some party being given by some Politician.

So their perspective is totally out of whack.
You will notice that the Developers & Publishers that actually care are run by people who also play video-games.
While the ones that are the worst have people running them that don't bother.

It's really not much different than anything else really...
Even politicians that don't know squat about politics or have never ran a business in their life are generally the ones that love to tell everyone else how to live their lives and create policy to force people to do just that...and they eventually screw up everything so bad, meanwhile they blame everything & everyone else for screwing things up. You think politicians are going to rely on Social Security or Medical..? Heck no, they have their own special retirement funds & special heal-care that will take care of them for the rest of their lives, even when they leave office...all paid for by the tax-payer....so they don't really care if it goes bankrupt. They will be long gone and filthy rich to be bothered to care.

Just like what EA does...screw things up by implementing company policy that benefits them, but screws over the consumer (citizen)...and when things backfire, they conveniently blame everyone else.
But in the end, what do they care...? They will simply screw over the stock holders or whomever, retire to some island while they live off the wealth they created.
They will say that they care about the consumer (citizen), but its all a lie to get you to back-off and not question their tactics.
#98WinternovaPosted 3/13/2013 4:26:26 PM(edited)
shawnmck posted...
If they played video-games then sure, they would realize what they are doing is detrimental and actually a negative.
But their idea of a past-time is probably sipping wine & nibbling on caviar while they fly their private jet to New York to attend some party being given by some Politician.

So their perspective is totally out of whack.

Oh, the irony. Oh, the humanity!

Your worldview sorely lacks a rational perspective.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#99majinbuu58Posted 3/13/2013 4:31:10 PM
Geist posted...
People need to realize that things are optional and just move on if they don't like it.

This. Businesses are making good money off microtransactions. It's probably a good thing for the industry with the way it is now.
#100NinjuggalotusPosted 3/13/2013 5:44:56 PM
This SimCity fiasco is very humorous
---
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
#FreeSosa