This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

720 = Dead on Arrival if it is ALWAYS ON DRM

#1whatnow12012Posted 3/7/2013 6:34:52 PM
2 things will always keep me from buying a console, 1 being ALWAYS ON DRM such as the new game Sim City which was a disaster it proves that ALWAYS ON will not work & can not work.

This means games such as DEFIANCE, DESTINY both games requiring ALWAYS ON DRM will also FAIL & be a Disaster.

Look, I love DLCing Addons, weapons, Expansions and deals such as Mass Effect 3s CITADEL, but I will not ever buy or play a game or a console that is an ALWAYS ON DRM. If Microsoft pulls this move with the 720/Infinity then they can consider themeselves DOA & will become the next DREAMCAST.

Also I will never support, buy any console that bans used games I love my games, but todays economy is tight with the price of every day living continuously on the rise and gas price soaring towards the 5.00 price range you can not always afford a 65 + videogame. So I buy used which work just as good.

Also many people live in an area known as a DEAD-ZONE meaning 56K Dial Up connection only with no connections to CELL PHONES, WIFI or High Speeds. So ALWAYS would = NO BUY. Mainly these areas are RURAL, MOUNTIANS, Hilly Places that block the internet or have no clear line of sight to a TOWER, NO TOWER = NO INTERNET. And you can not use Satellite Internet such as HUGHESNET, EXCEDE, or FRONTIER for gaming.

So game devolopers, companies & makers, rethink your strategy on ALWAYS ON DRM, think again on USED GAMES, you already kicked your selves in the nuts on Backwards & it has made many potiental customers not even getting either GEN 8 CONSOLES.

Me, I will wait 2 or 3 years from now I am in no hurry to move to GEN 8.

ALWAYS ON DRM = DEAD ON ARRIVAL
#2DagorhaPosted 3/7/2013 6:41:32 PM
I'm in agreement for me personally but it is such a bad idea, I can't think of a reason why they would do that
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#3TentanmanPosted 3/7/2013 6:54:47 PM
Since when was the new Xbox referred to as Infinity? I've heard Durango before but now people are just making stuff up lol.
---
BRING BACK CRASH BANDICOOT!
#4SunDevil77Posted 3/7/2013 7:08:38 PM
You capitalize a lot of unnecessary words.
---
Breakfast foods can serve many purposes
~Ron Swanson
#5HughJorgennPosted 3/7/2013 7:11:41 PM
Defiance is supposed to be a mmo, so yes it would have to online. If they market a game as multiplayer/online only I do not have a problem. If a game has a single player storyline and you have to be online to play that then yes that is f***** up.

All of this is speculation as far as the console requires it. I will just wait until official announcements are made on the subject. As should everyone.
#6SilentS89Posted 3/7/2013 7:13:26 PM
Agreed, ALWAYS ON DRM = no buy, on principle, NO EXCEPTIONS.
#7StucklnMyPantsPosted 3/7/2013 7:22:53 PM
It won't happen. The first console maker that tries it will be dead in the water, and then the competition will swoop in and pick up their customers. Technology and the market are not ready. It's way too early to even try to push it.
---
Americans speak American. English speakers are in England. The two languages are quite different - cup_a_soup
#8Surv1valismPosted 3/7/2013 7:25:18 PM
Also, Defiance and Destiny won't fail. just sayin
---
GT: Astro ZomBz
PSN: IThe_WretchedI http://www.listal.com/list/game-collection-astrozombie29 (not finished)
#9PhilOnDezPosted 3/7/2013 7:28:25 PM
There's a difference between 'always on' drm and 'mmo'

Always On servers tend to have just enough information on them to where the game is unplayable without them. You retrieve what you need for the game to work and your system handles it from there.

MMO servers contain much much more.They will actively control all NPCs as well as events and combat. The server is doing most of the work and just telling your computer what is happening.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#10Dagoth_WitPosted 3/7/2013 7:31:12 PM
What if both consoles(I don't really include the Wii-U) have always on DRM? Will that be the end of console gaming?
---
Maybe God made a monkey that doesn't like to think it's a monkey and lies a lot.