This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

720 = Dead on Arrival if it is ALWAYS ON DRM

#61AmphaxPosted 3/9/2013 12:51:38 PM
KOTRwhoops posted...
SilentS89 posted...
Agreed, ALWAYS ON DRM = no buy, on principle, NO EXCEPTIONS.

---
Amphax, Ampharos with an ax
II Timothy 4:22-The Lord Jesus Christ be with thy spirit. Grace be with you. Amen.
#62zender1999Posted 3/9/2013 5:21:35 PM
Amphax posted...
KOTRwhoops posted...
SilentS89 posted...
Agreed, ALWAYS ON DRM = no buy, on principle, NO EXCEPTIONS.

100%
#63DavCubePosted 3/9/2013 7:57:17 PM
Well, they bought EA exclusivity after EA whined that they couldn't engulf Nintendo's Network into Origin, and we saw they didn't learn a damn thing from Diablo 3 with the debacle that is the new SimCity. Microsoft just may BE that stupid.
---
http://backloggery.com/davcube
#64deimos91Posted 3/10/2013 7:27:16 PM
whatnow12012 posted...
2 things will always keep me from buying a console, 1 being ALWAYS ON DRM such as the new game Sim City which was a disaster it proves that ALWAYS ON will not work & can not work.

This means games such as DEFIANCE, DESTINY both games requiring ALWAYS ON DRM will also FAIL & be a Disaster.

Look, I love DLCing Addons, weapons, Expansions and deals such as Mass Effect 3s CITADEL, but I will not ever buy or play a game or a console that is an ALWAYS ON DRM. If Microsoft pulls this move with the 720/Infinity then they can consider themeselves DOA & will become the next DREAMCAST.

Also I will never support, buy any console that bans used games I love my games, but todays economy is tight with the price of every day living continuously on the rise and gas price soaring towards the 5.00 price range you can not always afford a 65 + videogame. So I buy used which work just as good.

Also many people live in an area known as a DEAD-ZONE meaning 56K Dial Up connection only with no connections to CELL PHONES, WIFI or High Speeds. So ALWAYS would = NO BUY. Mainly these areas are RURAL, MOUNTIANS, Hilly Places that block the internet or have no clear line of sight to a TOWER, NO TOWER = NO INTERNET. And you can not use Satellite Internet such as HUGHESNET, EXCEDE, or FRONTIER for gaming.

So game devolopers, companies & makers, rethink your strategy on ALWAYS ON DRM, think again on USED GAMES, you already kicked your selves in the nuts on Backwards & it has made many potiental customers not even getting either GEN 8 CONSOLES.

Me, I will wait 2 or 3 years from now I am in no hurry to move to GEN 8.

ALWAYS ON DRM = DEAD ON ARRIVAL

Destiny is almost an mmo so always on is needed
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#65CalgaryMaverickPosted 3/11/2013 7:37:04 AM
SirLemont posted...
CalgaryMaverick posted...
I really doubt Microsoft would be stupid enough to include "Always on DRM" for games for the next Xbox, especially considering that the PS4 and WII-U don't have it.

However if they actually did this, then I'd pass on buying the next gen Xbox, and stick to gaming on the PC and PS4. I'd be surprised if such a move didn't result in the next gen Xbox being shunned by the majority of console gamers.

I'd actually think they would include it. Publishers have been pressuring Microsoft to include "always-on DRM" and blocking used games. Lately, these corporations have been tone-deaf to their customers and have been adding one anti-consumer practice at a time. So if Microsoft follows suit, and the rumors have been saying they'll be doing just that...well you see the name of the topic.

I could see Microsoft caving to pressure from Publishers and doing this if Sony implemented a similar "Always On DRM" on the PS4, but since Sony is not, Microsoft would really have a complete lack of common sense to put this on the Xbox 720. Today's poll clearly shows that most consumers do not want the hassle of "Always on DRM" on their console games. Given that the last console generation was fairly competitive, I think that Microsoft would have to be complete fools to give this sort of advantage to their competitors product.

But having said that ... if they turn out to be fools ... then I'll spend my money elsewhere. :)
---
XBL, PSN & Steam GamerTag: CalgaryMaverick
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
#66scoobydoobydontPosted 3/11/2013 7:57:25 AM
I PERSONALLY won't much CARE about this issue. Backwards COMPATIBILITY is my ONLY concern.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#67ILikesCheesePosted 3/11/2013 8:59:54 AM
I could see Microsoft caving to pressure from Publishers and doing this if Sony implemented a similar "Always On DRM" on the PS4, but since Sony is not, Microsoft would really have a complete lack of common sense to put this on the Xbox 720....I think that Microsoft would have to be complete fools to give this sort of advantage to their competitors product.

But having said that ... if they turn out to be fools ... then I'll spend my money elsewhere. :)

I completely agree on both accounts. Microsoft incorporating an extreme Pro-Publisher, Anti-Consumer measure such as this, and when the competition does NOT have it, will result in the the Next Xbox being the LAST Xbox.

Yes, a handful of the Microsoft Faithful (aka Fanboys) and those Kiss-the-Unwashed-Butt of the Developer/Publisher types will applaud such a move. The other 98% of the market will give Microsoft the finger and run to Sony and Nintendo. (Moreso Sony in this particular console bracket battle; Nintendo is in many ways a division unto itself.)

I myself like the 360 over the PS3 (until lately), and would make the Next Xbox my console of choice over the PS4, regardless of differences in their launch dates. HOWEVER, if MS does go this Always On DRM route to block second hand games and the rental market, I will definitely NOT be purchasing their new console. Ever.

That said, I truly don't think MS will make such a move though. If they were planning it before, the fact that Sony is going in the complete opposite direction will make their marketing executives rethink such a strategy, and scratch any plans of that sort. And the recent SimCity debacle is just the icing on the cake to help them make that decision too.

In the end I prefer the corporation that is more consumer friendly if their product is close enough to what my tastes are. I can live without Halo, Gears of War and Fable just fine.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#68OemeniaPosted 3/11/2013 10:13:40 AM
ILikesCheese posted...
I could see Microsoft caving to pressure from Publishers and doing this if Sony implemented a similar "Always On DRM" on the PS4, but since Sony is not, Microsoft would really have a complete lack of common sense to put this on the Xbox 720....I think that Microsoft would have to be complete fools to give this sort of advantage to their competitors product.

I completely agree on both accounts. Microsoft incorporating an extreme Pro-Publisher, Anti-Consumer measure such as this, and when the competition does NOT have it, will result in the the Next Xbox being the LAST Xbox.

Yes, a handful of the Microsoft Faithful (aka Fanboys) and those Kiss-the-Unwashed-Butt of the Developer/Publisher types will applaud such a move. The other 98% of the market will give Microsoft the finger and run to Sony and Nintendo. (Moreso Sony in this particular console bracket battle; Nintendo is in many ways a division unto itself.)

I myself like the 360 over the PS3 (until lately), and would make the Next Xbox my console of choice over the PS4, regardless of differences in their launch dates. HOWEVER, if MS does go this Always On DRM route to block second hand games and the rental market, I will definitely NOT be purchasing their new console. Ever.

That said, I truly don't think MS will make such a move though. If they were planning it before, the fact that Sony is going in the complete opposite direction will make their marketing executives rethink such a strategy, and scratch any plans of that sort. And the recent SimCity debacle is just the icing on the cake to help them make that decision too.

In the end I prefer the corporation that is more consumer friendly if their product is close enough to what my tastes are. I can live without Halo, Gears of War and Fable just fine.
This. Even on the message boards where you get the corporate boot-lickers, you see very few people actually supporting it.

I dont have high-hopes, activation has been abused this gen (games like Rage and AC Brotherhood where my kid brother on the same system couldnt get access to the content). Even Sony who are positioning themselves as the gamers company havent been fully clear.
---
100% PC/PS3/360
#69LethalbuttersPosted 3/11/2013 7:53:43 PM
I really doubt Microsoft would be stupid enough to include "Always on DRM" for games for the next Xbox, especially considering that the PS4 and WII-U don't have it.

However if they actually did this, then I'd pass on buying the next gen Xbox, and stick to gaming on the PC and PS4. I'd be surprised if such a move didn't result in the next gen Xbox being shunned by the majority of console gamers.

I agree. I'll go strait to pc if it is.
---
It won't budge.