This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I really don't understand why there's a premium on bloody, violent games

#1Emerald_MeliosPosted 3/8/2013 12:01:37 PM
Most of the time, its just rusty red decal on a 3D virtual environment, or red mist shaders spraying everywhere. It's about as logical as painting everything in rainbows. The same goes for visceral mutilation and wanton foul-mouthery.

I can't understand why people dismiss what they call "kiddy games" when their gameplay is otherwise perfectly enjoyable, when a lot of the "mature" games lack any real function or meaning to the visceral action. Normally, blood is used to heighten drama. Remove the drama, and what's the point?

Or alternatively, if you are going to have such liberal flow of blood, at least give it purpose through blood magic and/or human sacrifice. At least then, it makes war themes more interesting and economical.
#2pothocketPosted 3/8/2013 12:03:34 PM
We seem to get these topics about once a month...
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#3mrhappyguy12345Posted 3/8/2013 12:04:34 PM
Emerald_Melios posted...
Most of the time, its just rusty red decal on a 3D virtual environment, or red mist shaders spraying everywhere. It's about as logical as painting everything in rainbows. The same goes for visceral mutilation and wanton foul-mouthery.

I can't understand why people dismiss what they call "kiddy games" when their gameplay is otherwise perfectly enjoyable, when a lot of the "mature" games lack any real function or meaning to the visceral action. Normally, blood is used to heighten drama. Remove the drama, and what's the point?

Or alternatively, if you are going to have such liberal flow of blood, at least give it purpose through blood magic and/or human sacrifice. At least then, it makes war themes more interesting and economical.

Examples please?
---
I love video games : )
#4Banana_ManaPosted 3/8/2013 12:05:15 PM
pothocket posted...
We seem to get these topics about once a month...

Are there any topics that we don't get recycled on a daily, weekly, monthly basis???
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#5Scared0o0RabbitPosted 3/8/2013 12:05:16 PM
I agree. There's a reason why Nintendo consoles are always the first console of every generation that I buy.
---
Gaming for > 20 years
XBL: Cagey Rabbit
#6OrgeLambartPosted 3/8/2013 12:05:59 PM
Human being are aniamls that have learned to control our primal rages, playing video games with extreme violence let us live out our fantasy of being violent animals who kill everyone in sight. Only we do it in a non violent way where nobody gets hurt.
#7darkharePosted 3/8/2013 12:07:28 PM
instead of blood, it should all come out as rainbows. i actually think thats more disturbing then blood.
---
as long as the game divides out to be around $1 or less an hour, the amount i spent on buying it is irrelevent.
#8alienfreaks04Posted 3/8/2013 12:08:20 PM
It's what's hot, TC.
In the 90s, it was platformers and JRPGs. We would have been saying "Stupid mario and sonic clones everywhere!!"
---
My signature is better than yours.
#9SunDevil77Posted 3/8/2013 12:09:15 PM
Mortal Kombat is a great game.
---
Breakfast foods can serve many purposes
~Ron Swanson
#10Emerald_Melios(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 12:11:11 PM
OrgeLambart posted...
Human being are aniamls that have learned to control our primal rages, playing video games with extreme violence let us live out our fantasy of being violent animals who kill everyone in sight. Only we do it in a non violent way where nobody gets hurt.

....and that's where the human sacrifice and blood magic would come in handy.