This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The next xbox is not all about games. (MS shooting itself in foot)

#41FredSavage27Posted 3/9/2013 1:28:39 PM
Donomega posted...
Twitter, Netflix & YouTube come pre installed on my TV. Maybe I don't need it on something that hooks into my TV. Oh well maybe I'm just getting old.

And a lot of people have TVs with no software built in. At this point, releasing a console that doesn't have other media features would be a massive step backwards. Even Nintendo have Netflix and Hulu on their consoles.
#42SolisPosted 3/9/2013 1:41:32 PM
No console released in the last 10 years has been strictly about games, how is this a problem or a surprise?

RahzarX posted...
The Wii U is strictly a game console.

Not even CLOSE to the truth. Did you miss the part about how HALF of the system's RAM is always dedicated to system functionality that has virtually nothing to do with running the games themselves? If you think that it's awful that a comparatively minuscule portion of PS4 or next generation Xbox's memory is used for other purposes, you must think that the Wii U is the worst designed console in existence for the purpose of playing games.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#43WinternovaPosted 3/9/2013 1:45:09 PM
PutHaggarInSF posted...
They haven't hidden the fact since the inception of the original Xbox that they want to create a box that will be the focal point of entertainment in the living room.

Since before then, actually. They bought WebTV in their first attempt.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#44ADHDguitarPosted 3/9/2013 1:47:23 PM
Although I partially agree, TC is a Nintendo fantroll. Ignore him.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#45The DevourerPosted 3/9/2013 5:16:00 PM
Super Creatures posted...
The Devourer posted...
PCs aren't just for games just like nothing else is just for its original purpose.

Gaming is not the original purpose of the PC.

Irrelevant. PCs are what your games are built on. PCs have been used for gaming since the invention of electronic gaming basically. Smartphones are the popular thing and they do more than call people. People want more from their devices.

Donomega posted...
The Devourer posted...
Donomega posted...
Sorry, I buy a gaming console for, you know, games.

Does every single electronic device need to come with YouTube, Netflix etc.?

You know the reason for it? They're trying to broaden the market. Basically make them into what equates to a cheap PC. You can do games, browse the web, play music, etc. Why is this such a surprise? A lot of people buy electronic devices for how many different things they can do. How popular are smart phones compared to regular old cell phones? It's not a dying trend and it's not a surprise.

Twitter, Netflix & YouTube come pre installed on my TV. Maybe I don't need it on something that hooks into my TV. Oh well maybe I'm just getting old.

Soon I'll be posting on GameFAQs from my toaster.

And many people don't have TVs with those things. So why the hell is there a harm or problem with a CONSOLE coming with it? TVs with those things tend to be more expensive and many people aren't going to have them. Perhaps you should consider things like that before thinking how dare a computer like device allow those features.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#46Dragon NexusPosted 3/9/2013 5:37:27 PM
The "This console doesn just do games any more!" idea has floated around since Sony started trumpetting it in the PS2 days. Probably before then as well.

It's a line constantly spewed by corporations to make themselves appear more accessible to non-gamers. "Buy our machine, it's not just one of those game thingies, you can watch TV on it! Or, erm...listen to music? Watch a film? Go on Facebook? Stop me when I hit something you enjoy doing more than anything. Please buy it..."

But naturally their core revenue comes from software sales. When it matters they're about the gamers. When they want to push services and advertising, they pull out the "It only does everything!" mantra. Hmm, that sounds familiar...oh well, it'll come back to me later.

Still, the problem is Smart TVs will soon become not just something you need to search for but an actual standard in TV, much like 3D is these days. Today's innovation is tomorrows standard feature, and when the majority of TVs are Smart TVs, people will question why they need some entertainment box thingy to do for them what their TV already does for free.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#47Super CreaturesPosted 3/10/2013 1:27:39 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
they pull out the "It only does everything!" mantra.

You mean like get the YLOD, or force you to format your HDD if you put it in a different system, meaning a replacement system is going to completely wipe your saves?
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#48DakhanavarXPosted 3/10/2013 8:00:29 AM
RahzarX posted...
I'm talking about background running services, like the Ps4's always streaming gaming, and recording gameplay.

It doesn't play your DVD's, your Blu-Rays, it doesn't connect to your Facebook or your Twitter, it's a game console.

It has Netflix and Youtube out of convenience because not all people have that built-in to their TV yet.

If Netflix and Youtube are for people that don't have it built into the TV...then couldn't you just as easily say it playing DVD's and Blu-rays is for people that don't have a DVD and/or Blu-Ray player (Or don't have the room for one more device)? And considering Miiverse, I'd say they certainly got something of the Facebook/Twitter nature covered.

Solis posted...

RahzarX posted...

Not even CLOSE to the truth. Did you miss the part about how HALF of the system's RAM is always dedicated to system functionality that has virtually nothing to do with running the games themselves?

And this. This seems like the kind of thing we should wait & find out for ourselves when we have something a little more concrete. You could literally take his quote and apply it to the last few consoles released, so I'm not exactly alarmed by this at the moment.
---
Member of the 8-Bit Playas: http://www.youtube.com/user/8BitPlayas
See my game collection: http://darkadia.com/member/Dakhanavar/library
#49PutHaggarInSFPosted 3/10/2013 8:02:51 AM
I'll wait to see what Chad Warden has to say.
---
http://i.minus.com/iyi2ItPQPd3Pm.gif Marn liiiiike
http://last.fm/user/AnathemaOfZos Gamertag: aGeorgeDivided
#50scoobydoobydontPosted 3/10/2013 8:22:07 AM
Blow himself admitted he doesn't actually know anything except the same rumors as everyone else because MS literally is not talking to him and they give zero f***s about his next game (just like most gamers). Indie developers are pretentious attention whores who think they're artists, but they really just make niche distractions that most people don't care about. Minecraft, Trials... the only two indie games this whole gen that sold well enough for MS to give a s***.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.