This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it easy/possible to put hard drives from fat xboxes into slim ones?

#11CapwnDPosted 3/10/2013 2:46:46 AM
No offense intended to the dumbasses that did the towel trick.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#12Super CreaturesPosted 3/10/2013 2:48:05 AM
CaPwnD posted...
No offense intended to the dumbasses that did the towel trick.

Don't you mean All offense intended?
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#13CapwnDPosted 3/10/2013 2:51:25 AM
yes.

>.>
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#14bigpoppapatPosted 3/10/2013 7:38:58 AM
I have a 60gb in a slim almost 2 years now. no issue whatsoever.
---
Sent via PowerFAQs
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii617/patoons/f5gif.gif http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii617/patoons/clap2.gif
#15gudamanPosted 3/10/2013 8:36:04 AM
HDD shell removal is probably the easiest thing you will ever have to do for the Xbox 360.

Literally, all that stands in your way of a replaced drive are a few screws and the stupid alignment drop of the now naked drive.
---
gt: gudaman / PSN: OvaryPuncher9000
I'm open to pretty much any game you wanna play as long as I own it.
#16Dragon NexusPosted 3/10/2013 9:31:52 AM
They're the exact same connectors and everything, only difference is the casing. All you do is open up the HDD case and put it right in your Slim that's it. Works flawlessly and requires no workarounds at all. I sincerely doubt anybody would ever know.

The hardware carries a serial number specifying what make and model it is, this information can get sent to MS.
There hasn't been any kind of wide spread bans due to it, but they can tell and if they felt inclined could ban you for it because it does break the ToU. An admin from MS has been quoted as saying such, but I can't find the link at the moment.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#17JKSonicPosted 3/10/2013 2:49:23 PM
The hardware carries a serial number specifying what make and model it is, this information can get sent to MS.
There hasn't been any kind of wide spread bans due to it, but they can tell and if they felt inclined could ban you for it because it does break the ToU

Yeah but that would require WORK haha, not going to happen. I doubt they have a system in place to warn then when somebody logs in with an old model HDD on a Slim. So they'd have to physical sort through/search and find offenders. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the serial numbers overlap, because I'm pretty sure the insides are the same.
---
https://www.facebook.com/AbstractedRealism (pinup and boudoir)
https://www.facebook.com/KulhaPhotography (families, scenery, etc)
#18TheBlueStigPosted 3/10/2013 2:58:04 PM
JKSonic posted...
There hasn't been any kind of wide spread bans due to it, but they can tell and if they felt inclined could ban you for it because it does break the ToU

Yeah but that would require WORK haha, not going to happen. I doubt they have a system in place to warn then when somebody logs in with an old model HDD on a Slim. So they'd have to physical sort through/search and find offenders. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the serial numbers overlap, because I'm pretty sure the insides are the same.

If they find you doing something else wrong, and also find a (technically) modded HDD in the system, they'll just add it to the list of charges against you and upgrade the suspension to a full hardware and gamertag ban.

All they would need to do is run a hardware check and if the components don't match, you're done.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#19Super CreaturesPosted 3/10/2013 3:54:30 PM
JKSonic posted...
also wouldn't be surprised if some of the serial numbers overlap,

Serial numbers don't overlap, they are unique to the specific device.

No two HDDs are going to have the same serial number, unless the serial number from one is cloned to the other.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#20Damn_DeaditePosted 3/10/2013 5:18:49 PM
Theyre different HDs though. Itll work for a while then your dashboard will take like 5 minutes to load and it wont work anymore.

I know because i had the same situation happen to me. Called MS and the dude told me theyre slightly different HDs, the Slim's HD is is built to be read faster and blah blah. I thought the dude was full of crap but i got a new HD and everything works perfectly again. So just be careful.
---
Herrehkhan313
I'll swallow your soul!