This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

7 health benefits of playing Video Games

#21The DevourerPosted 3/10/2013 12:10:09 PM(edited)
They don't just help preschoolers motor skills.

There's also one I forget what it's called but they develop the ability to get visual input from one source while completely independently manipulating another object. and not needing to look at it.

I wouldn't simplify it to "improves decision making" but rather improves the ability to quickly make decisions such as being under pressure to make a decision on what to do, such as if you lose control in your car or something. These aren't really new findings or anything at all though, they've been acknowledged by various sources over the years.

There's actually a myriad of benefits playing games can have. Hand eye coordination, motor skills, improve the ability to make decisions quickly especially in higher pressure situations, ability to notice smaller details quicker, all kinds of stuff.

I disagree! Some troubling parts gave me a lot of stress, especially in a multiplayer and difficult/hardest games.

Anyone saying ANYTHING like games inducing stress and the like...just... don't understand the point. You know the excitement you feel at times? That's stress. Games reduce the overall stress of life by providing a way to unwind. Pointing out that playing games can be stressful is a moot point. And just because it can provide stress relief doesn't mean it does for you especially if you take them seriously lol.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#22vigorm0rtisPosted 3/10/2013 12:20:28 PM
xMark posted...
vigorm0rtis posted...
Video games have been a significant part of my recovery from alcoholism and continued sobriety (10 years). In the intervening years I've developed MS, so gaming gives me something to keep my mind off near-constant pain.

So, agreed.

Have any tips to trick your brain into thinking you don't need your preferred drug?

No. You just need to dig in.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF