This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ready for the gen of microtransactions?

#1Erupt50Posted 3/10/2013 8:53:35 PM
Hope you are because that's what is coming. One way or another devs have to fight against used game sales. The option of not allowing used games isn't going to happen because of the huge backlash that would happen, but i am sure that the devs are not going to continue to bend over and get raped by the used game market. We have already seen some of this happening which includes the whole online pass deal and in the next generation we are going to see a hell of a lot more of it.

Anyway just wanted to thank all of the "cheap ass gamers" that believe supporting developers is some kind of criminal offense. God forbid you spend that extra $5-$10 to buy a new copy of a game.
---
PSN- Erupt50 XBL- Erupt50
#2GM_Posted 3/10/2013 8:57:55 PM
Cool story bro but don't lump me into that category because I buy OUT OF PRINT used games.
---
CooperRC: "The 360 and PS3 are just fighting in the special olympics, the PC version is king."
#3Erupt50(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 9:00:24 PM
GM_ posted...
Cool story bro but don't lump me into that category because I buy OUT OF PRINT used games.

I'm mainly talking to those who go to gamestop and buy a used game for $5 cheaper than a new one. Those are also the first people that will be here screaming about microtransactions being in every game next gen.
---
PSN- Erupt50 XBL- Erupt50
#4PStrifePosted 3/10/2013 10:09:41 PM
Next-gen is going to be awful any which way you try to pretty it up. I am sure that having far less people buying their consoles will make everyone happy, you can look forward to splitting up far less sales then usual with the unimpressive stuff being announced and rumored.

Buy used as a shelter to avoid that entire generation as a plague. Gimped consoles without even BC from the get go is a very bad sign.
#5DarkSymbiotePosted 3/10/2013 10:17:16 PM
If next-gen is going to be like this one then I will never buy a non-used game ever again.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#6Bloodmoon77Posted 3/10/2013 10:47:31 PM
That 5 dollars adds up. I'd rather save it then spend it on basically the same thing.
---
http://i.imgur.com/NLLBk.png
http://i46.tinypic.com/29usk12.png http://tinyurl.com/a9pyu5n
#7Waffle manPosted 3/10/2013 11:20:51 PM
Erupt50 posted...
Anyway just wanted to thank all of the "cheap ass gamers" that believe supporting developers is some kind of criminal offense. God forbid you spend that extra $5-$10 to buy a new copy of a game.

I don't think that anyone thinks "supporting a developer" is a criminal offense. People love to give their money to companies that they personally feel treated them well. Continued brand recognition with a positive customer experience always leads to more cashola.

What I do see, is a lot of people getting their pants in a bind because people buy used. They want to blame this whole out of control DLC controversy on used buyers, when really they're passing the buck. The industry is pushing this upon you, and using used games as a scape goat.

If used games were annihilated tomorrow, and miraculously, no consumers were bothered by it, do you think all the pubs and devs would go "Well good news folks! An overabundance of DLC is redundant now! You'll never see it again!"

No, because we've already proven that regardless of our outcry, or the situation, it is INSANELY profitable. As long as it stays insanely profitable, it's not going anywhere, regardless of the circumstances. Duh.
---
They should have a stronger word for killing. Like BadWrong. Or, baddong. Yes, Killing is Baddong. - The Chosen One
#8CaIiber345Posted 3/10/2013 11:27:20 PM
Waffle man posted...
Erupt50 posted...

No, because we've already proven that regardless of our outcry, or the situation, it is INSANELY profitable. As long as it stays insanely profitable, it's not going anywhere, regardless of the circumstances. Duh.

Yup. For as many people that don't like it, there are plenty that are buying weapon skins, different colored costume and hairstyle packs, and "Unlock all this Stuff and that Stuff automatically". So why wouldn't companies keep pumping that crap out? Its stuff that is often programmed into the game anyway, then simply withheld and charged for at a later date. I don't like it as much as the next person, but it makes sense from a business standpoint, and I don't think its going to stop anytime soon.
---
"You can't put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on its head." -Tyrion Lannister
Hail HYDRA!
#9DarkSymbiotePosted 3/10/2013 11:30:35 PM
CaIiber345 posted...
Waffle man posted...
Erupt50 posted...

Yup. For as many people that don't like it, there are plenty that are buying weapon skins, different colored costume and hairstyle packs, and "Unlock all this Stuff and that Stuff automatically". So why wouldn't companies keep pumping that crap out? Its stuff that is often programmed into the game anyway, then simply withheld and charged for at a later date. I don't like it as much as the next person, but it makes sense from a business standpoint, and I don't think its going to stop anytime soon.

Till the next crash or something close?
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#10CaIiber345Posted 3/10/2013 11:53:56 PM
DarkSymbiote posted...
CaIiber345 posted...
Waffle man posted...
Erupt50 posted...

Till the next crash or something close?

Who knows?

There are so many facets that are changing the gaming landscape. I talk about this with a friend constantly. DLC, digital distribution, the used game market, pre-order bonuses, the prospect of no retail BC, persistent online connections required, the focus on motion and peripheral gaming, multimedia and social media apps...

We grew up on just playing games. Turn on console. Insert game. Play game. The end. Technology has changed all of that. While I am not opposed to the concept of DLC in and of itself, it pains me to go to the Marketplace and see 16 consecutive "Packs of Crap" for Game X. I vote with my wallet by not buying most of the DLC I come across.

What started out as a means for developers to support their games with content that couldn't originally be put in (due to time or budget constraints, worry over fan reaction, etc.) has turned into a cash grab, and its working. I don't believe that DLC alone will impact the industry. The core audience is no longer males age 10-18. They've grown up and have families that might game. They have the money but maybe not the time to invest in grinding levels or replaying games for hours on end to unlock things. Its beneficial for many people to pay for what they otherwise can't (or won't) earn or achieve on their own. And thats no mark against them. Its an opportunity that companies have seized upon.

I think the next gen of consoles is going to say a lot about the future of gaming. We went from cartridges to discs at one point. Then the online component entered the equation. Now games and their additional content can be digitally distributed, and social/multimedia is part of the mix. The only demographic that once mattered was the core gamer. That has changed as technology has introduced "gaming" into the everyday lives of millions of people, and also because those core games have grown up. Maybe I'm just old and afraid of change. But for the first time in a long time, the prospect of a new console generation isn't exciting me like it once did. I'll eventually invest in the console that delivers the experience that I want, I suppose.

/endlongwindedBlogFaqs
---
"You can't put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on its head." -Tyrion Lannister
Hail HYDRA!