This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

does playing video games somehow help a person ease real life problems?

#1zaiwenPosted 3/11/2013 8:34:18 PM
in real life we deal with everyday problems, (relationships, jobs, mortgage, etc.) whatever the case maybe, we all have our own way of dealing with our personal problems.

Which brings me to ask, does playing video games help in easing one's issues? Does it brighten up the mood after gaming?
---
GT & PSN: zaiwen3
#2DarkSymbiotePosted 3/11/2013 8:37:27 PM
It definitely does. Sometimes you just want to escape. One of the reasons why Skyrim is so popular.

This doesn't work for me when I'm playing MP because I know real world people is involved too much in it.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#3SunDevil77Posted 3/11/2013 8:37:49 PM
That would be the purpose of all hobbies.
---
Breakfast foods can serve many purposes
~Ron Swanson
#4TheBlueStigPosted 3/11/2013 8:37:54 PM
Yes, games are definite stress relievers on a bad day.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#5squidgy617Posted 3/11/2013 8:42:10 PM
DarkSymbiote posted...
It definitely does. Sometimes you just want to escape. One of the reasons why Skyrim is so popular.

This doesn't work for me when I'm playing MP because I know real world people is involved too much in it.

This^

Games release a lot of stress, especially when you're focused on it so your mind doesn't wander off to stressful things.
#6TheBlueStigPosted 3/11/2013 8:48:12 PM
DarkSymbiote posted...

Multiplayer is sometimes even better for really bad days because you can crush kill and destroy people without going to jail, so you just imagine your boss's face on everybody you kill in the games.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#7DarkSymbiotePosted 3/11/2013 8:59:25 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
DarkSymbiote posted...

Multiplayer is sometimes even better for really bad days because you can crush kill and destroy people without going to jail, so you just imagine your boss's face on everybody you kill in the games.

We have WWE games for that.

- Create your enemy via character creation.
- Give him/her a Rock Bottom.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#8kungfuj0Posted 3/11/2013 9:43:03 PM
^

I used to do that to a punk named X-pac back in the day in the old No Mercy games. I once beat on him for 2 hours straight, just for the hell of it. My roomate thought I was losing it!

Bottom line is yes, games can most certainly help you relieve frustrations. I used to try to beat people 105-0 in games like Tecmo Bowl football, because it got me past whatever frustrations I was dealing with.

Today, games like GTA or Saint's Row, where you can just get into the game and blow *** up for half an hour or so, those games can really help with stress relief. You can't just haul off and deck your boss, no matter how much of a jack wagon he's being, but you can shoot, beat, or kick the living **** out of him if you can imagine him in a game!

Best thing about it is that no matter how much carnage you do in the game, when you turn it off, your stress is gone, and no harm has come to anyone. People want to blame games for shootings and ****, but I say if more of these crazy-ass idiots played games, they'd have LESS stress, and maybe, just maybe they wouldn't have went off the deep end and did the crap that they did.
---
Alabama Crimson Tide: Now serving title #15..
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
#9shawnmckPosted 3/11/2013 10:00:08 PM(edited)
If you are talking about dealing with stress & anxiety....then the answer is most definitely.
Hunkering down and playing video-games can relieve stress in a number of ways, including getting rid of aggression and stress & anxiety that builds up over time.

It also has been shown to improve hand-eye coordination.

But yeah, it helps me relieve stress as well.
Some days I get so frustrated and I play a game for a while and I feel much better.

Although, it should be mentioned that if you are experiencing severe depression or thoughts of suicide or hurting someone (including yourself) then you really need to seek help.
It doesn't have to be a professional, although that would be good...but as long as it is a close friend or relative, or someone you can just talk to.
Video-games can be a great stress reliever, but they are not meant to be a substitute for real help when a real person is needed.

Heck, if you need someone to talk to then you can just pm me also, and I will do what I can to help you out.
Just keep in mind that I'm just some stranger on the Internet...which can sometimes be a good thing (if you want to talk to someone who won't judge you or who doesn't even know who you are).
#10lowuwPosted 3/11/2013 10:02:08 PM
Video game are great for our imagination and do help take our minds off real world problems.