This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

does playing video games somehow help a person ease real life problems?

#21dannyaqPosted 3/12/2013 8:28:29 AM
I don't get why so many gamers say games can help ease real problems, but not aggravate them. Ask on here is games can be partially responsible for people deciding to shoot somebody and you will mostly get responses of of course not they are just games, not real. Why would games only affect people's emotions positively and not negatively as well?
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
#22pothocketPosted 3/13/2013 6:14:56 AM
Clip of Tim in Spaced using games to help deal with personal issues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXj9muy2gM4
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#23Banana_ManaPosted 3/13/2013 6:21:36 AM
dannyaq posted...
I don't get why so many gamers say games can help ease real problems, but not aggravate them. Ask on here is games can be partially responsible for people deciding to shoot somebody and you will mostly get responses of of course not they are just games, not real. Why would games only affect people's emotions positively and not negatively as well?

Good point. Terrible grammar.

Anyway, I agree... Relaxing, soothing, or stress relieving they may be... But that indicates that they do have an impact on emotions...

That said, given that games are designed for use as a fun hobby, it can be seen that they are intended to have a positive influence on life, and the percentage of positive cases will far outweigh the negative. Of course, if someone with unstable emotions plays a videogame they may be negatively influenced... Although I don't think most people here would disagree with that... Mostly people disagree that the biggest influence on these emotionally unstable people is gaming, more than say parents, or bullying etc....
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#24rttnPosted 3/13/2013 6:28:01 AM
I believe it can go much deeper than "stress relief". After playing Bastion. I was in amazement at how much of myself and my life at that time I saw throughout the game in the story and it's various characters

It helped me finally see things that were going wrong in my life at the time from a totally different perspective which pushed me to make changes

The only games I really play when pissed,upset, or whatever is the Skate series. I can't skate in real life so listening to Nujabes Radio on Pandora and cruising on my virtual board is ├╝ber relaxing. I suck at any other game when being EMOtional
---
GT: rttnCRAFT
I want Skate 4 NOW!!