This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are people blaming video games for gun shootings?

#1JackyBoyJaneyGiPosted 3/12/2013 8:06:10 AM
Video game violence has been the center of controversy for ages. Xbox was known to be mostly an adult game console with very violent video games. Games like Grand Theft Auto, Doom, Mortal Kombat have been the reason for this controversy. While I agree, that parents should use extreme caution when allowing their children to play Mature rated games. I don't blame violent video games for gun shootings. America has too weak of gun control, close to 10,000 related gun deaths a year. Look at Japan where they are the center of violent video games with strict gun laws, they have I think 30 gun related deaths a year. If you're 18 and have proof of ID, you can pretty much a gun with no questions asked, even if you are a crazy homicidal or suicidal maniac inside. And only an idiot would play Grand Theft Auto and not realize this kind of behavior has serious consequences in real life. I've played Grand Theft Auto since I was a kid and never had any thoughts of killing anyone in my life. I know this behavior is never tolerated in real life and even Rockstars knows that. We have the ESRB ratings to begin with, it's the parents responsibility to make sure their kids don't play such violent games. And stores always warn people about the Mature rated content and ask for photo ID. I think the violent video games controversy is just a smokescreen by the Republican party who are in denial about gun violence in the United States which is out of control and will use any excuse to keep gun laws the way they are. We can't allow dangerous weapons to get in the hands of any homicidal or suicidal person of any kind. Violence in video games can't harm anyone, it's the weapons or guns that do it.
#2Mindwipe77Posted 3/12/2013 8:08:10 AM
i didnt read all that,just the title, but its because the gov loves to go after vidoe games for every little thing they think is warping the minds of our youth...not movies.not music....just games..i think its stupid
---
Now playing-DCUO, Sonic Transformed,Fire Emblem Awakening
Waiting for-Lightning Returns,Injustice CE,PS4
#3SunDevil77Posted 3/12/2013 8:08:47 AM
Yay. Just what we needed, another one of these atrocities.
---
Breakfast foods can serve many purposes
~Ron Swanson
#4TheBlueStigPosted 3/12/2013 8:12:53 AM
This is why....

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NewMediaAreEvil

Whatever is new and popular gets attacked, it's been happening to every form of media dating all the way back to the first written and printed words.

It's happening in modern times because people absolutely refuse to put the blame where it actually belongs because if they do, they'll lose advertisers.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#5pothocketPosted 3/12/2013 8:13:29 AM
WALLS-O-TEXTS

Look, every male child has played call of duty. Therefor it stands to reason that every male child that shoots a place up has played CoD. It doesn't get any more deeper than that.

15 years ago it was the same thing with Doom and the shooting then. Who didn't have Doom on their PC?

It's idiotic logic but it won't stop the media from selling it to the masses.

This just in: all shooters are reported to have two arms and two legs. Coincidence? Will banning arms put a stop to the violence?

It sounds absurd when put like but it makes the exact same amount of sense as the media tying games to shootings.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#6Banana_ManaPosted 3/12/2013 8:13:36 AM
I wish people would stop making these topics.
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#7Samman123Posted 3/12/2013 8:21:08 AM
http://www.operatorchan.org/t/src/136142182814.jpg
---
MMA fan for life.
#8seankimberley42Posted 3/12/2013 8:23:26 AM
Because it's much easier to point your finger outwards then inwards.
---
Twilight is like Soccer: 2 hours of people running around, no one scoring and millions of fans telling me I don't get it. - Maliice
#9reverence27Posted 3/12/2013 8:33:59 AM
Its easier to just place blame on things like Video Games, Movies, Drug Companies, and anything else in hopes to keep the public too occupied to look into the real problem. Guns are too cherished and accessible in our culture.
---
"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies." ~Benjamin Franklin
#10TheBlueStigPosted 3/12/2013 8:53:06 AM
reverence27 posted...
Its easier to just place blame on things like Video Games, Movies, Drug Companies, and anything else in hopes to keep the public too occupied to look into the real problem. Guns are too cherished and accessible in our culture.

Guns, sitting there by themselves, do NOT have the power to MAKE someone go out and shoot people, PERIOD.

Prescription drugs however have been PROVEN to have negative effects on the human brain, preventing the brain from forming properly if people have been on those drugs since they were 3 years old.

The drugs that shrinks are putting little kids on as young as 2 and 3 years old ARE THE PROBLEM, every single mass shooter so far has been on those drugs, and some have added illegal drugs and booze to the mix as well.

The media refuses to make that connection publicly because they lose the advertising from the drug companies if they mention anything bad about them.

The media themselves are also to blame, they're the ones glorifying every act of violence by putting the criminals on TV for hours on end, they refuse to take that blame even when the carjacker who just killed someone is hanging out the window of his stolen car waving up at the TV news chopper yelling "I'M ON TV!!!!!!"
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin