This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats one game that you enjoyed that you felt was underapreciated?

#41scoobydoobydontPosted 3/13/2013 7:31:40 AM
Old Tomb Raider, Resident Evil and Mass Effect 1. Apparently millions in sales don't matter, these series' were complete crap and irrelevant until until they lost their identities and started pandering to the lcd to sell a modest amount of extra copies at the expense of anything compelling in terms of content or character. /salt

Real answers:
Mirror's Edge
Alan Wake
Kameo
Heavenly Sword/Enslaved/DmC
Kings Field series
(better than DS)
Assassins Creed 1
all point and click adventures not named TWD (esp. Sherlock Holmes)
Silent Hill TR/HC/DP (series remained survival horror, so if nothing else that puts it one up on a certain other series by default. Also, faults greatly exaggerated)
Condemned
Bioshock 2
(I diss it a lot, but it really isn't that bad)
GTA4 ("its not fun..." wrong! Best in the series)
LA Noire ("boring"... take some Ritalin. It was Shakespeare compared to Heavy Rain)
Dragon Age 2 (too much cut and paste, but everything else about it is fine, and DAO was boring as hell in comparison, so plodding and clunky)
Risen/Gothic4/Sacred 2/Divinity II/Venetica/Two Worlds (and every other low budget/Eastern European RPG I am forgetting... no jankier or generic than DAO)
Midnight Club series (best street racer ever, everyone forgets it exists in favor of shinier garbage racers that were advertised more heavily)
Hydro Thunder Hurricane (its the only water racer of note this entire gen and like MC, people forget it even exists)
Alpha Protocol
Kinect Sports
and Adventures (both are completely solid games with few actual issues, s*at/slept on purely because of motion haters)
Amy (I'm not saying it's good, but as far as horror game jank goes, reviewers and gamers jumped on a hyperbole bandwagon exaggerating its faults, like modern SH but even worse. Again, not a good game, but by definition under-appreciated just because of exaggerated hate)
Jumping Flash/Tomba/Croc/Blinx/Vince/Ty/Dr Muto (Rare platformers get love but all the other decent platformers not named Mario or Rayman get ignored--they were great)
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#42KeyBlade999Posted 3/13/2013 7:34:33 AM
Pokemon Conquest comes to mind for supposed overmanagement, which I personally enjoyed. And Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Super Paper Mario were extremely fun for me.
---
Every wound a new opportunity, every curse a new challenge.
I shall encounter defeats... But I will not be defeated.
#43TommyD758Posted 3/13/2013 7:43:08 AM
Singularity. It had the displeasure of being published by Activison but it had a interesting story and was pretty fun. The multiplayer was like standard FPS fare but with a bit of L4D monsters. It's like $10 these days and it's worth it for the single player.
#44Wekos1187(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2013 9:34:14 AM
Arucard05 posted...
My game would be Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.

It was not the greatest game but its characters were likable, the controls were spot on, and its was a gorgeous game. Shame it sold terribly.

Yeah, let's go with that.

PoP '08 was a similar game that similarly went unnoticed.

I got PoP when it had a price cut and really enjoyed it. I got a little annoyed with the collecting those orbs spirit things. But other than that I really enjoyed the change.
#45pothocketPosted 3/13/2013 9:36:27 AM
TommyD758 posted...
Singularity. It had the displeasure of being published by Activison but it had a interesting story and was pretty fun. The multiplayer was like standard FPS fare but with a bit of L4D monsters. It's like $10 these days and it's worth it for the single player.

I actually thought Singularity did MP better than L4D, it's that good.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#46LuckNotDoWithItPosted 3/18/2013 1:43:22 AM
Gungrave without any second of doubt.
#47LuckNotDoWithItPosted 3/18/2013 2:18:36 AM
"Kinect Sports

Kinect sports is a god-awful game and a good game by Rare.

Kinect Sports interests me as much as Mario Galaxy, Kirby or freaking Harvest Moon. It's a boring gimmicky game for old timers to pass the time during TIVO fits of golden girls. It's not even a real game.

I can't believe anyone even thinks Dragon Age 2 or Kinect Sports were overlooked.
#48richboy900Posted 3/18/2013 2:23:21 AM
Cod for sure

Lol jk ;)
#49HMXTaylor_LeePosted 3/18/2013 6:02:33 AM
Dyno_Storm posted...
Dynasty Warrior games. Most reviewers like to s*** on the series and complain that they're all the same. Oh the nerve. >_<

To be fair, a lot of games that suffer from sequel-itis (Call of Duty, Halo, Assassin's Creed, what-have-you) have solid foundations that are considered fun in their own right, and sometimes a change of scenery is sufficient to keep people coming back.

Dynasty Warriors... well, there's only so much history you can retread before it feels like a retread of a retread. The gameplay to me (I didn't play very many of them, I played Mystic Heroes, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2, and Warriors Orochi 3) all seemed same-ish.

Hit stuff, fill meter, special attack, move on and do it again while the same three lines are repeated endlessly.

I won't defend sports games though.

On topic, I really thought Bayonetta was spectacular, and needed more commercial success.