This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Once a game's license expires, is Microsoft allowed to take away my disc copy?

#1SolnotPosted 3/13/2013 9:34:01 AM
Since Microsoft takes down games off Xbox Live Marketplace once those games' licenses expire.

And everybody says that when you buy a game, you don't actually own the game but instead you own a license to that game.

But if I bought a physical disc copy of the game, could Microsoft inform the government to enter my home and re-confiscate the game to take it away from me?

If I only own the license to the game which is now expired, am I forced to give it back?
#2knightimexPosted 3/13/2013 9:35:26 AM
Of course not.
---
Old School Games FTW!
#3seankimberley42Posted 3/13/2013 9:43:50 AM
I went through my download history, and noticed a bunch of movies/demos that said "content not available.". However, when I clicked on the description I was allowed to download it anyway. I don't have any games that have been delisted, but I'm wondering if this is the same for those games.
---
Twilight is like Soccer: 2 hours of people running around, no one scoring and millions of fans telling me I don't get it. - Maliice
#4jamtoast44Posted 3/13/2013 9:45:09 AM
seankimberley42 posted...
I went through my download history, and noticed a bunch of movies/demos that said "content not available.". However, when I clicked on the description I was allowed to download it anyway. I don't have any games that have been delisted, but I'm wondering if this is the same for those games.

It's not I was able to redownload yugioh and marble blast ultra
---
xbox- xJamToastx
psn-flashthebloody
#5seankimberley42Posted 3/13/2013 9:55:51 AM
jamtoast44 posted...
seankimberley42 posted...

It's not I was able to redownload yugioh and marble blast ultra

And I just reDLed Marble Blast Ultra as well even though it's delisted. Good to know. Another myth busted.
---
Twilight is like Soccer: 2 hours of people running around, no one scoring and millions of fans telling me I don't get it. - Maliice
#6VeryDarkSoulPosted 3/13/2013 9:56:24 AM
Solnot posted...
Since Microsoft takes down games off Xbox Live Marketplace once those games' licenses expire.

And everybody says that when you buy a game, you don't actually own the game but instead you own a license to that game.

But if I bought a physical disc copy of the game, could Microsoft inform the government to enter my home and re-confiscate the game to take it away from me?

If I only own the license to the game which is now expired, am I forced to give it back?

Ok you don't understand what you're talking about.

For example, Outrun arcade came out on Xbox live and was taken down, because Sega's Ferrari license expired. That means they can't distribute/sell the game anymore. That doesn't mean people who already own a licensed copy of the game can't play it. All this means is Sega no longer has the license to legally sell the game.
---
Ron Paul 2012
#7Super CreaturesPosted 3/13/2013 9:12:48 PM
Solnot posted...
ould Microsoft inform the government to enter my home and re-confiscate the game to take it away from me?

Implying that it has already been confiscated once, right?
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#8deeringer007Posted 3/13/2013 10:43:27 PM
I want to get TMNT: Turtles in time reshelled, but I missed to download it when I bought a new version x box 360 in Aug 2011 after the license was expired in June 30, 2011.
#9StarskiRPosted 3/14/2013 12:27:21 AM(edited)
You own the rights to access your bought license. Though talking like this is kinda miss leading, since regular people just call it buying a game.

The reason people call digital distribution "renting" is because they fear that they will lose access to their game, once the service is gone. But any service that is worth buying from(Steam is really easy, and Origin is slightly tougher), lets you create a backup copy of the game that can be burnt to a dvd. That dvd copy can be used to reinstall the game if you get a new computer/reformat a hard-drive.

But you should check to see what kind of access you have with anything. Whether it is a physical disc or digital. Because there are games that even the physical disc has locked content. Which is why some DLC only take up a few KBs. You are buying an unlock key to something that is already on the disc that you have in your hand.

Even with the "Games on Demand" for the Xbox 360, you have unlimited access to the content, just as if you bought the physical disc. And assuming you never delete that game(or have hardware failure), you will be able to play the game in a decade even if the service for redownloading is long gone.

Xbox Live Indie games are an exception to this though. Since they do not use the ESRB, they are required to be used with an internet connection. As far as I know, nothing has been setup for these games to be played once the Xbox 360 Live service is discontinued. Luckily most of the games in this section are not worth buying, and the few that are either are also on Steam, or have an equal substitute on the PC. So don't throw a ton of money into the XBL Indie games if you worry that you won't be able to play these "flash-like" games.

EDIT: Even if the game/DLC has been removed from the marketplace for new purchases, if you have previously purchased this removed content, you will still be able to redownload it. It will be found in your Download History. Yaris and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 are both no longer available to download from the marketplace, but I can still redownload them from my Download History.
---
XBL GT: CoryStarkiller
#10StarskiRPosted 3/14/2013 12:06:24 PM
I forgot to mention that GOG.com does backups really well also.
---
XBL GT: CoryStarkiller