This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Once a game's license expires, is Microsoft allowed to take away my disc copy?

#11aya469Posted 3/14/2013 12:16:10 PM
StarskiR posted...
You own the rights to access your bought license. Though talking like this is kinda miss leading, since regular people just call it buying a game.

The reason people call digital distribution "renting" is because they fear that they will lose access to their game, once the service is gone. But any service that is worth buying from(Steam is really easy, and Origin is slightly tougher), lets you create a backup copy of the game that can be burnt to a dvd. That dvd copy can be used to reinstall the game if you get a new computer/reformat a hard-drive.

But you should check to see what kind of access you have with anything. Whether it is a physical disc or digital. Because there are games that even the physical disc has locked content. Which is why some DLC only take up a few KBs. You are buying an unlock key to something that is already on the disc that you have in your hand.

Even with the "Games on Demand" for the Xbox 360, you have unlimited access to the content, just as if you bought the physical disc. And assuming you never delete that game(or have hardware failure), you will be able to play the game in a decade even if the service for redownloading is long gone.

Xbox Live Indie games are an exception to this though. Since they do not use the ESRB, they are required to be used with an internet connection. As far as I know, nothing has been setup for these games to be played once the Xbox 360 Live service is discontinued. Luckily most of the games in this section are not worth buying, and the few that are either are also on Steam, or have an equal substitute on the PC. So don't throw a ton of money into the XBL Indie games if you worry that you won't be able to play these "flash-like" games.

EDIT: Even if the game/DLC has been removed from the marketplace for new purchases, if you have previously purchased this removed content, you will still be able to redownload it. It will be found in your Download History. Yaris and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 are both no longer available to download from the marketplace, but I can still redownload them from my Download History.

how do you go about doing that because when I search my download history, it doesn't show turtles in time, it just shows content no longer available
---
I write about games and stuff. Check it out if you want.
http://www.examiner.com/gamer-in-phoenix/michael-mckenzie
#12WinternovaPosted 3/14/2013 12:21:32 PM
Solnot posted...
And everybody says that when you buy a game, you don't actually own the game but instead you own a license to that game.

This is where everyone is absolutely and totally incorrect. A game bought on disc is a sale, not the purchase of a license, and that holds true in a vast majority of jurisdictions in the United States. Don't listen to "everybody", listen to the people who actually know what the hell they're talking about.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#13TheBlueStigPosted 3/14/2013 2:28:43 PM
seankimberley42 posted...
jamtoast44 posted...
seankimberley42 posted...
I went through my download history, and noticed a bunch of movies/demos that said "content not available.". However, when I clicked on the description I was allowed to download it anyway. I don't have any games that have been delisted, but I'm wondering if this is the same for those games.

It's not I was able to redownload yugioh and marble blast ultra

And I just reDLed Marble Blast Ultra as well even though it's delisted. Good to know. Another myth busted.

It depends on the game, the original version of NFS Most Wanted is permanently gone, no redownloads.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#14MestizoFreakPosted 3/14/2013 2:54:48 PM(edited)
The license you're referring to is for publishing rights. Once the license expires, the game cannot be sold retail or digitally until it is renewed. As a consumer, as long as you have the game, you're free to play it.

If the license also fell onto the consumer, by law, we would have to give back the systems and games from earlier generations.
#15robbiegatorPosted 3/14/2013 3:03:08 PM
Winternova posted...
Solnot posted...
And everybody says that when you buy a game, you don't actually own the game but instead you own a license to that game.

This is where everyone is absolutely and totally incorrect. A game bought on disc is a sale, not the purchase of a license, and that holds true in a vast majority of jurisdictions in the United States. Don't listen to "everybody", listen to the people who actually know what the hell they're talking about.

Thank you. I facepalm every time I see "you only bought a license", and it's starting to hurt.
---
Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time.
#16StarskiRPosted 3/14/2013 3:16:01 PM
aya469 posted...
StarskiR posted...
You own the rights to access your bought license. Though talking like this is kinda miss leading, since regular people just call it buying a game.
The reason people call digital distribution "renting" is because they fear that they will lose access to their game, once the service is gone. But any service that is worth buying from(Steam is really easy, and Origin is slightly tougher), lets you create a backup copy of the game that can be burnt to a dvd. That dvd copy can be used to reinstall the game if you get a new computer/reformat a hard-drive.
But you should check to see what kind of access you have with anything. Whether it is a physical disc or digital. Because there are games that even the physical disc has locked content. Which is why some DLC only take up a few KBs. You are buying an unlock key to something that is already on the disc that you have in your hand.
Even with the "Games on Demand" for the Xbox 360, you have unlimited access to the content, just as if you bought the physical disc. And assuming you never delete that game(or have hardware failure), you will be able to play the game in a decade even if the service for redownloading is long gone.
Xbox Live Indie games are an exception to this though. Since they do not use the ESRB, they are required to be used with an internet connection. As far as I know, nothing has been setup for these games to be played once the Xbox 360 Live service is discontinued. Luckily most of the games in this section are not worth buying, and the few that are either are also on Steam, or have an equal substitute on the PC. So don't throw a ton of money into the XBL Indie games if you worry that you won't be able to play these "flash-like" games.
EDIT: Even if the game/DLC has been removed from the marketplace for new purchases, if you have previously purchased this removed content, you will still be able to redownload it. It will be found in your Download History. Yaris and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 are both no longer available to download from the marketplace, but I can still redownload them from my Download History.

how do you go about doing that because when I search my download history, it doesn't show turtles in time, it just shows content no longer available

Guide Button on controller.
Settings.
Account Management.
Download History.

Then from there, just find the content you are looking for.

Even the one video in my list that says ''Content not available'' can still be selected and redownloaded.
---
XBL GT: CoryStarkiller
#17zinsindettaPosted 3/14/2013 3:22:15 PM
Don't answer your door TC. Those guys in black want your games.
---
Gamertag/PSN - http://gamercards.exophase.com/31441.png
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/default.aspx?player=SinZinDetta
#18dannyaqPosted 3/14/2013 3:47:37 PM
No, same way you aren't forced to delete any copies of games removed from the market place. The publisher does however have to stop making more disks same way Microsoft has to stop distributing more digital copies. I believe that is the analogy you are looking for.
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
#19Great_Pudding_3Posted 3/14/2013 3:52:04 PM
No they can't take it away but if it breaks, you're gonna have to buy a new one.

This is common sense, why did I even type it.

Why am I gonna click post message.
---
PSN / NNID: Chocobo_Dragoon
GT: Chocobo Dragoon
#20zyxomma100Posted 3/14/2013 5:30:51 PM(edited)

"Everyone" needs to get a clue and ingrain this fact into their head.

Digital sales, however, are totally different from physical sales. MS could, if they wanted, remotely disable every single XBLA game and purchased DLC item you've ever gotten, and you wouldn't have any legal recourse. I can't imagine this happening, but it is possible.