This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Inverters get in here!

#21nothingbeastPosted 3/15/2013 5:19:45 AM
I play inverted and don't understand the people who say "it's not natural".

Ok.

Put your left thumb on top of your head.

Now look up.

Now look down.

Ah ha.

If you play with regular controls, that's fine... but it's actually more "natural" to be inverted.
---
~I was stomping goombas and saving princesses long before most of you were born.
#22Banana_ManaPosted 3/15/2013 5:20:56 AM
nothingbeast posted...
I play inverted and don't understand the people who say "it's not natural".

Ok.

Put your left thumb on top of your head.

Now look up.

Now look down.

Ah ha.

If you play with regular controls, that's fine... but it's actually more "natural" to be inverted.

I did this and now the sky is red.

What the f*** did you make me do?
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#23charlton3k(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2013 5:42:59 AM

Rofl, i laughed hard at this :D
#24MachineZedPosted 3/15/2013 6:17:03 AM
JGA1980 posted...
Because that's the way pivots work on a 3D plane and if it's good enough for real life, it's good enough for games.

If my camera and tripod works on an "inverted" Y axis in real life, why shouldn't a camera in a video game work in the same manner?

In real life I aim a gun in the "inverted" manner, i.e. to aim up and raise the barrel whilst keeping the sights in line with my eye, I pivot the stock down, to aim down and lower the barrel whilst keeping the sights at eye level, I pivot the stock up, so why should guns in video games be any different?

Inverted is just easier and natural, I can't get my head around controlling the Y axis in a 3D environment in the opposite manner to real life.

The problem with inverted controls I have is that you are arbitrarily controlling a point behind the character. Which means that in 3rd person games it makes sense, but first person games the control is in front of the character. There is no need to control the tripod of the gun, when you can just control the gun.

Inverted players see it as controlling the neck. Whereas I see it as controlling the head or the gun.
#25creep50Posted 3/15/2013 6:25:54 AM
it depends on how you look at it

if you look at it from the 3rd dimension than there is no ´´up´´ or ´´down´´ on the stick...only forward and backward...just like on the left stick...

put your head forward and your eyes look down

if you look at it from the 2nd dimension than forward becomes up...like it mario world (and other 2d games)

so in my opinion inverted is alot more natural in 3d games
---
San Andreas > > > > > > > > >Desert Bus > > > > > > > >GTA 4
#26nothingbeastPosted 3/15/2013 6:47:42 AM
Banana_Mana posted...

Patience, young one.

Your purpose will be made clear soon enough.
---
~I was stomping goombas and saving princesses long before most of you were born.
#27seankimberley42Posted 3/15/2013 6:51:35 AM
bigphil2003 posted...
Overburdened posted...
You don't have to apologize to anyone, it's your topic.

I play inverted too, my friend finds it weird, says "up is up!, why do you press down to look up".

I can see his point, it is weird, but I can't play any other way.

It isn't "up" though, it's forward - so your character leans forward and looks down!

I play inverted, but technically it isnt forward, it's up. The konami code is up up down down not forward forward back back man.
---
Twilight is like Soccer: 2 hours of people running around, no one scoring and millions of fans telling me I don't get it. - Maliice
#28fiasco86Posted 3/15/2013 6:52:18 AM
JGA1980 posted...
Because that's the way pivots work on a 3D plane and if it's good enough for real life, it's good enough for games.

If my camera and tripod works on an "inverted" Y axis in real life, why shouldn't a camera in a video game work in the same manner?

In real life I aim a gun in the "inverted" manner, i.e. to aim up and raise the barrel whilst keeping the sights in line with my eye, I pivot the stock down, to aim down and lower the barrel whilst keeping the sights at eye level, I pivot the stock up, so why should guns in video games be any different?

Inverted is just easier and natural, I can't get my head around controlling the Y axis in a 3D environment in the opposite manner to real life.

It seems like it's a matter of whether your thought process is:

When I push the control stick up/down, my character's head moves up/down (standard)

OR

When I push/pull the control stick forward/back, my character pushes/pulls the gun/vehicle down/up (inverted)

Just a matter of what part of the character's body you feel the look stick controls.
---
Halo 1 LAN vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhjWnJU2EKY
#29BahamutBBobPosted 3/15/2013 6:53:16 AM
bigphil2003 posted...
Because in my day it was the default and I got used to it. Also it just makes more sense logically

This. Got used to it on PC, carried it over to PS2.

For everyone who plays without inverting, think of your right stick as the top of your character's head. If you push forward on it, he/she would look down.
---
XBL / PSN: BahamutBBob
#30MaDHatPosted 3/15/2013 6:53:56 AM
I read this as "Inventers" and was expecting some crazy Dragons Den stuff :(
---
XBL kenny mf p0wers