This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Its hard to justify 60 bucks anymore after Skyrim, and Red Dead, d.dogma etc

#1detbasketball13Posted 3/15/2013 3:26:48 AM
I'm going to be honest , games that have come out recently like Tomb Raider, crysis 3 , dmc, mgr4 and even upcoming games like Bioshock infinite are games that I will never buy at 60 bucks any more.

What's wrong with this mindset a few years ago I would have been more then willing to pay full price for them. I tell you why because games like red dead , skyrim , dragons dogma , and even bayonetta ( even though I paid less than 12 for it).

These games gave me a great experience and especially the bang for my buck. They have replay value, length , a complete experience without the need for dlc, they have set the bar so high that there are very few games that can reach them. It's unfair but that's how I see games and the asking price now.

You might see topics like is this game worth it or what's the replay value blah blah . The bar has been set because of these games and that's why people are asking for more bang with their purchase and complain if there Isn't. So blame red dead for being such a great game and giving future games a standard that should be at least tried to be met
#2kingekingePosted 3/15/2013 3:32:19 AM(edited)
So basically you think only open world games should be full price. I disagree, it all depends on how much you like each genre type as far as how much bang for your buck you get.

I will definitely be getting my money's worth out of Bioshock Infinite.
#3detbasketball13(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2013 3:43:31 AM
Not true I mentioned bayonetta , yes I would have paid 60 bucks for that. The unlockables and the all the other content in the game would have been well worth 60 for me. I know its weird to say this but I love that the the devs of the game boasted the fact that bayonetta would be shipping will no dlc. They mentioned that gamers will be getting a full experience, how many games can you say that about now with the trend in dlc and microtransactions.

I can't justify 60 for a linear corridor shooter , or even a possible 10 hour narritive focused game like Bioshock infinite , a 4 to 5 hour game that lacks depth , a striped qte fest , forgetable multiplayer bs , etc.
#4_Elite_Bushido_Posted 3/15/2013 3:46:10 AM
Mortal Kombat III on SNES was $75 when it came out... I don't get the point in this topic...
---
I'm a PC gamer, I don't like leaving the house or accepting packages from an actual person.- Xeeh_Bitz
http://tinyurl.com/8eufxdl
#5Tube_of_NoobPosted 3/15/2013 4:24:00 AM
Bioshock Infinite looks to be worth $60 easily. Tomb Raider I can see your point. Its a good game but not worth 60 bones.
---
Rick Grimes for President 2016
Plyometrics is the Devil!
#6Rome218Posted 3/15/2013 4:47:25 AM
Everyone feels differently. I cannot tell you what deserves 60 dollars. I rented Crysis and returned it after only two days. I rented Tomb Raider, beat it in one. I felt the overall production and gameplay deserved 60 dollars, and I'm on my third playhtrough now.

I also feel it's something I just want to own. I want the dumb wal mart exclusive that was still available at the time(Guardian of Light, kinda always wanted that. Also the mercenary outfit, which is cool because it shows up in the cutscenes and everything ing ame).

It just depends. I think I've spent 60 dollars on too many games I should not have in the past. I get buyers remorse. I actually bought that Vikings: Warriors of whatever when it was 60 dollars. :P I know I bought some horrible ones that I can't think of on the top of my head. I get bored and use to take too many leaps of faith, then I realized how easy it is to rent games from redbox.
---
I served 8, in war... my father served 23, in war... both of my grandfathers served, in war. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, GWoT, etc. - ScarecrowES
#7Limp_sugarPosted 3/15/2013 4:53:21 AM
I mostly agree with TC.
---
Support your developer. Buy new.
#8DarkSymbiotePosted 3/15/2013 4:59:16 AM
Limp_sugar posted...
I mostly agree with TC.

Me too. Nowadays games don't even come as full packages. Why should we pay for content kept out for the sake of DLC?
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#9Rome218Posted 3/15/2013 5:05:31 AM
_Elite_Bushido_ posted...
Mortal Kombat III on SNES was $75 when it came out... I don't get the point in this topic...

I don't like that argument. I was alive when MKIII came out. In those days, things were not that simple. Retailers did not seem to all have an agreement on how much to charge a game.

I remember living in Hawaii, a.. grocery chain I believe called Star Market had Double Dragon for 50 dollars. That was the most expensive game my dad bought me, but I owned a lot of games regarded as classics now and never payed 60 for them.
---
I served 8, in war... my father served 23, in war... both of my grandfathers served, in war. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, GWoT, etc. - ScarecrowES
#10rockyoumonkeysPosted 3/15/2013 5:14:36 AM(edited)
This is exactly what I'm getting sick of seeing when people whine about price.

Instead of looking at games like Skyrim and Red Dead and thinking "those games are a tremendous value", they look at them and say "that's what $60 should always get you" which is absurd.

Those games do not set the bar. They rise above it. The bar stays mostly where it is.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton