This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Its hard to justify 60 bucks anymore after Skyrim, and Red Dead, d.dogma etc

#71UponADarkThornePosted 3/15/2013 11:40:35 AM
pothocket posted...
MaDHat posted...
I kind of have the same mentality. I really don't care how great the story is, how immersive the gameplay is, etc.. If the game is 8 hours long I am not going to pay $60 for it. There is just no value there for me. A game like Skyrim, Red Dead, etc has a ton of value for the money. Why would I spend $60 for a game that I could rent for the weekend for $5 and be done with it..

Please stop voting with your dollars.

You place "value" on playtime and that's it. That's not gaming.

I place value on quality of gameplay. I would rather pay $60 for a ten hour game and beat it multiple times than pay $30 for a 20 hour game that I don't even want to finish once.

Why? Because I'm a gamer.

Different gamers look for different things. Me? Aside from the occasional platformer or the Batman: Arkham games, I'm almost exclusively play RPGs (be they 90's era cRPGs, jRPGs, dungeon crawlers, etc.). While he length of a game isn't exclusive to my enjoyment of it, the amount of time that I find myself playing it is. I would readily pay 60 dollars for a modern game like Baldur's Gate II (in fact, I did back in the days; the core game was 39.99 and the expansion was 19.99) event with dated graphics - but as much as I loved the games, I wouldn't have felt the Arkham games would be worth the full prices. (I got them both for like 20 dollars.)
---
http://www.last.fm/user/wolfbornson
#72detbasketball13(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2013 11:55:23 AM
Tc here ,

Gaming is an expensive hobby, lifestyle, job?, form of entertainment , etc

I have read all the replies and I don't mind that people disagree with the way I now purchase one of my favorite things in the world but hear this

One person here put it best "one man's 60 dollar game is another man's 10 dollar game" to some extent I think, this is how I feel now

When you buy games now you don't get the complete experience anymore without dlc, preorder bonus, cliffhanger ending crap just promote the next game.

Every game that has come out this gen has mostly been 60 bucks and I know the market decides this but I think it should be different, I don't know how one would implement some kind of price change but see games like

Kane and lynch series
Shadow of the damned
The saboteur
Red faction armageddon
Spl. Conviction
Perfect dark
And all the other games you could beat in less then a week and never play again , all these games were once 60 dollars at one point

Not saying these are bad games just not very satisfying ones

Now these games are dirt cheap today but I don't understand why anyone would pay 60 bucks for them anymore at the time.

It's unfair to expect games to be at the level set by red dead, skyrim, d. Dogma, bayonetta, mass effect 1, even max payne 3

But I don't see a downside to buying games this way, I will still get to buy the short, scripted games with little replay value and less content without dlc , but I will be paying much less then those of you that like spending sixty bucks for every game that comes out each month.

I love Bioshock 1, hell I bought it twice after I traded in for skyrim. But I never paid more than 20 bucks for it (combined) so I can't say I'm going go buy bioshock infinite day one at 60 when I never bought It's great predecessor at full price.
#73shawnmckPosted 3/15/2013 12:34:17 PM
It's not really fair to compare games like Skyrim & RDR to games like Tomb Raider & Bioshock: Infinite.
They are completely different.
Open-world games tend to be more repetitive with plenty of filler (quests, back-tracking, etc) so as to pad the length...whereas games like TR & Bioshock have to keep a certain pace and thus have more level diversity and a lot more set-pieces to keep the player's attention.
This means that a game like Bioshock or Tomb Raider costs every bit as much to make & create as does Skyrim & RDR...and if you are going to be so shallow about it then you are not giving the Developers credit for their hard-work.

It is very shallow & arrogant stance of you to have TC.Just because a game might take longer to beat does NOT mean that it cost more to make.
You are making a big time fallacy.
#74FulvipPosted 3/15/2013 12:38:46 PM
For me all it matters is if it filled my gaming stomach.
Did I buy it at full price and I'm satisfied? Good, like Bayonetta.
Not satisfied? Bad, like Skyrim.
---
Official Auron of the boards. The only one bad*** enough to like Light.
CP: TERA, MGR, TR
#75Devil_wings00Posted 3/15/2013 12:46:51 PM
I feel sorry for console only users. You have no recourse beyond full price or used. Price drops take so long that if you are interested in playing a game, but don't want to pay full price, it's going to be like 6 months to drop to 30/40 (that assumes the game didn't sell gangbusters in which case the price will never fricken drop) or 2 years before the price drops to like 20 bucks or whatever. Maybe you get lucky and amazon has a sale but that's it.

I'm glad I'm no longer tied to that system and if I think a game isn't worth the price I can just wait a few months (sometimes less) until a game goes 50-75% off and try it then without resorting to a used sale which gives the dev's almost zip (still got original sale and the price the retail store payed to ship the original copy to the shelf).
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).
#76Vyse_skiesPosted 3/15/2013 1:01:40 PM
Length and Open-world for me are two big no-nos. Developers can get away with so much if they tack on some lame open-world and the majority of them don't have personality. And why are people obsessed with length? I would prefer a solid, focused 8 hour game over a forty hour, open-world mess. Sure Skyrim is an exception, but many other open-world games are just crap. I prefer games like Alan Wake. Instantly better than the barrage of long-winded, open-world nonsense we get nowadays.
---
My ignore list is exclusive to trolls only. I should warn you though, it's crowded and the trolls imprisoned within are mean, anti-social and well... ignored.
#77DrFeelgood1984Posted 3/15/2013 1:06:23 PM
I agree with TC, I find myself less and less willing to pay $60 for a game. I don't get excited and buy games on release day or even release month. I know content is being stripped down and sold as DLC, and I'm just not willing to pay $60 anymore. I wait for price drops, sales, or good deals on Craigslist. It's not a money issue, I have the money. I just know what $60 should get me, and I'm not satisfied with less than the best.
#78SiegePosted 3/15/2013 1:09:17 PM
_Elite_Bushido_ posted...
Mortal Kombat III on SNES was $75 when it came out... I don't get the point in this topic...

The economy was a lot better back then.
---
Annoying the moderators since December 2000.
#79DrFeelgood1984Posted 3/15/2013 1:23:11 PM
BB52700 posted...
detbasketball13 posted...
What's wrong with this mindset a few years ago I would have been more then willing to pay full price for them. I tell you why because games like red dead , skyrim , dragons dogma , and even bayonetta ( even though I paid less than 12 for it).

These games gave me a great experience and especially the bang for my buck. They have replay value, length , a complete experience without the need for dlc, they have set the bar so high that there are very few games that can reach them. It's unfair but that's how I see games and the asking price now.

What on earth are you talking about? Red Dead and Skyrim have a crap ton of DLC

Those were also some of the finest examples on DLC ever released. Unread Nightmare added an 8-10 hour single player campaign, and RDR also got online co-op along with one or two other DLC packs FREE. Rockstar said it was just stuff they wanted to get into the game but were unable to do so because of time constraints so they released it as free DLC. Rockstar does things the right way, so I pay full price for their games on release day and buy the DLC if it interests me.