This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Zone of the Enders HD Collection.

#1LuckNotDoWithItPosted 3/16/2013 2:33:41 AM(edited)
I just recently picked up Zone of the Enders HD Collection and I can't tell you all how awesome it is. It's hard to believe after all these years I'm picking it up again. I originally had it a while ago on my PS2, but I only remember playing through the last boss and then someone running off and selling it. I did unlock the hard mode though.

But I never got to A rank any of the missions, do instant replays, etc. So I missed out. When I went to pick it up again I couldn't find Zone of the Enders anywhere, not to mention ZOE2. These are just simply rare games, so I was out of luck. You can imagine how glad I was when the ZOE HD collection got announced. Both of these games are quite amazing imo, but shamefully overlooked. They are pretty niche titles that actually play very similar to Mech Assault. Each and every map is loaded with objectives, secrets and bonus boxes.

If you have yet to experience Zone of the Enders, I highly recommend picking up the collection. It is really good and the controls are just as balanced as I remember them. The game moves super fast though, so be warned. They're not very long and it doesn't have a real campaign. I beat Zone of the Enders 1 in 2 hours on Hard mode, so yeah, they basically have no shelf life as far as campaign/story goes I'd say.

But don't be quick to judge, because the mission mode in this game is endlessly replay worthy. Unlike other mech combat games, ZOE allows you to fly through the air mad fast. And while running through the air you can do all sorts of crazy combo attacks, ala Halo or Tekken. Then as you progress you actually level up your mech and get booster weapons. The bosses in this game are also hard as hell, ala Armored Core or Mech Assault. But unlike in those games, everything moves so fast it's just a pure adrenaline rush.

I can't begin to tell you how much it reminded me of Ninja Gaiden, except while piloting a mech. There's a couple of moves in there that are just so insane they got to be viewed on a replay at least once. The story is pretty much bonkers, all about a rescue mission on Mars but it's decent. There's also more than one ending, that is just funny stuff. Like if you beat the game as normal, you get an ending. But if you decide to plow through the missions/bonus levels GTA3 style and kill basically everything, you get a second ending.

It happens if you kill all the colonists, lol, and the game actually ends right when you beat the tyrant thing. The insane part is that the world gets destroyed, but you still level up and get a mission ranking. Speaking of difficulty spike, I swear the game is a lot harder than when I first played it. When I was fighting against one of the last bosses, the only way I could even hit him was with Gauntlet. So they may have bumped up the challenge, I dunno but needless to say it's hard. I barely beat the final boss on very hard mode with pure luck. Oh and also, ZOE + ZOE 2 have a battle mode. So if you just want to assault each other street fighter style, the game's versus mode lets you do it. For a 12 year old game the multi-player is pretty damn good, you can pilot not just your guy but most of the game's area bosses. Oh and the weapons=sick as hell.

So basically, if you can find this game for $29 grab it for 360. It is hella worth it and hugely underrated. Yes, the anime scenes are a little much so if you don't care for that crap just press start to skip. But on the whole, it's a really good game that looks really sweet on an HDTV. ZOE2 especially, you owe it to yourself to play that bad boy once. Anyway there's my two cents. I can't wait much longer 'till Zone of the Enders 3.
#2Spandau BalletPosted 3/16/2013 3:25:47 AM
HD collection is garbage and is worse than the originals in every conceivable way (except graphics.) Move along people.
---
Hello, I'm a British person.
#3LuckNotDoWithIt(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 3:37:41 AM
Sorry what? The HD Collection is awesome, with achievements, online rank and far better graphics than the original. Controls were updated too.

I don't know what game you played but the HD version is great.
#4Jx1010Posted 3/16/2013 4:08:13 AM(edited)
Good to hear TC, I just got it as well

Alot of 360 owners will hate on it like the guy above, since majority of them only play shooting games
#5NotJustAHaloFanPosted 3/16/2013 4:18:01 AM
Ps3 fanboys who only like shooters step off from this topic. Yes, ZoE is a great game and as good as Halo ODST: You can take that to the bank.

Also if you play this game, make sure to get Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. Now there's a game that quite simply destroys Ninja Gaiden in every way.
#6SunDevil77Posted 3/16/2013 5:11:55 AM
Jx1010 posted...

Alot of 360 owners will hate on it like the guy above, since majority of them only play shooting games

You're the worst type of person.
---
Breakfast foods can serve many purposes
~Ron Swanson
#7shagadelicPosted 3/16/2013 5:27:57 AM
Jx1010 posted...

Or because they're really bad ports.
#8Dragon NexusPosted 3/16/2013 5:38:52 AM
HD collection is garbage and is worse than the originals in every conceivable way (except graphics.) Move along people.

Says someone judging a game purely by what the anti-fanboys say based on a single Youtube video comparing the frame rate.

The game is absolutely fine. I played both games to completion until I got 1000/1000. Not a single crash, freeze, glitch, hiccup, graphical screw up or anything.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#9GGearXPosted 3/16/2013 5:49:47 AM
shagadelic posted...
Jx1010 posted...

Or because they're really bad ports.

I rented Zoe HD. And I'm starting to think everyone who praised it was because of nostalgia.
Played through Zoe 1 and that game is really bad. Except for the final battles.
And Zoe 2? I liked it. But not loved it.
And TC, don't spew nonsense that the controls are perfect. I HATE the camera control in ZOE Collection. Move and stop. Really?

It's an ok collection. It's nothing compared to the MGSHD collection.

IMO

-they should've fixed (changed) the fighting system
- remove those brief annoying pauses in between fights. It should been nonstop action.
-Make the bosses unique. I loved the frames. But they just felt like mini bosses because of the introduction. Make it something like MGS3 when they introduced the enemy boss (the pain the end the fury)
-and finally, stop ramping up the difficulty randomly. That fight in ZOE 2 against the dude from ZOE 1 was on another level.

I'd say. Get it when it's 20 bucks. Konami
---
GT: KryDamoure
.............I'm a very shy guy *blushes *.......
#10Dragon NexusPosted 3/16/2013 1:40:36 PM
Played through Zoe 1 and that game is really bad. Except for the final battles

I wouldn't say it was *bad*, the story is typical 90s anime cheese and the combat is kinda dull and unrefined, but it's competent enough, it's well built and the parts of the story that work I think work well.

And Zoe 2? I liked it. But not loved it.

Well that's an opinion thing. The gameplay is a lot better, but I felt in many ways they lost focus on the story.

And TC, don't spew nonsense that the controls are perfect. I HATE the camera control in ZOE Collection. Move and stop. Really?

Granted the camera is a bit of a pig out of combat, but you rarely need to be that refined out of combat. For the times like in ZoE1 where you snipe, there's the right stick to use. Inside of combat the camera does a really good job.

- remove those brief annoying pauses in between fights. It should been nonstop action.

Definitely not. Nonstop action is not something one should aspire to. If you don't pause, you don't learn to appreciate what's going on. If your game or movie is all high notes, you're flat lining. To get proper flow you need peaks and valleys.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln