This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've put up with Microsoft's bull **** before, but this is a new low.

#21RenamonPosted 3/17/2013 9:53:02 AM(edited)
GeneralFrings posted...
How hard would it be to just send an email every month informing you that they've taken your money? This is just sad.

...they do.

Honestly, XBL is a subscription service, and like all subscription services it will keep renewing intil you tell them to stop. So don't go blaming MS because you don't pay attention to things.
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games
#22ChezDispenserPosted 3/17/2013 9:52:40 AM
simonsteele posted...
Figuring out how to easily remove the renewal is ridiculous too. These companies refuse to put a "stop auto renew" button on our dashbooards or whatever. Removing your credit card entirely doesn't work either as they won't let you leave your account without one. Screw 'em. Go silver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oY40OuZl7I
---
Goddamn!
#23googlerPosted 3/17/2013 9:56:18 AM
GeneralFrings posted...
So I bought a month of gold when I was home for Christmas break, and today on Spring Break I sign into my account to find I still have Gold. So I go look at my transaction history and apparently they put me on the automatic renewal plan, automatically without even telling me. Unless it was hidden somewhere in that giant wall of text you agree to.

How hard would it be to just send an email every month informing you that they've taken your money? This is just sad.

did you check or use the right email?...i always get an email about a week or 2 before my Gold expires
#24baueris24Posted 3/17/2013 9:59:20 AM
ChezDispenser posted...

You can turn auto renew off from the Xbox under "account -> memberships" or something like that.

Yes I had heard that you could turn it off but if you use one of those cards from the store, it shouldn't have auto renew active, right? I'm assuming they can't since they wouldn't have a credit cart account to charge to. I've never used Live and don't know a lot about it so please correct me if I'm wrong.
#25SunDevil77Posted 3/17/2013 10:00:10 AM
Who the hell doesn't check their bank statements periodically?
---
Breakfast foods can serve many purposes
~Ron Swanson
#26john7281Posted 3/17/2013 10:01:28 AM
As someone else stated it is nothing new, and a lot of services do auto-renew without asking. They do usually send out an email letting you know when they do it, I believe Xbox does that as well if you have that option on when you sign up. I check my account everyday and I know it is coming but sometimes forget so I find it easy, since I have it set up on my phone and computer. In this day and age to not check is completely absurd and to me makes completely no sense at all, I want to know what I have and where it is going. I'm another who gives no sympathy since you have many indicators showing it and it is your fault if you don't notice it not Microsoft's.
#27PrealienkingPosted 3/17/2013 10:03:34 AM
SparkItUp posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
The majority of services work this way.
It pays to look at what you're buying. Though honestly, did you not notice you were still gold? Do you not periodically check your bank statements for irronious payments?

^ this...sorry TC, no sympathy for you.

^this

It's why I don't sign up for any free trials that ask for your credit card number. You're going to be paying as soon as that trial ends, whether you want to or not.
#28TheArcadePosted 3/17/2013 10:08:12 AM
CapnStanky posted...
Both PSN and XBL turn on automatic renewal when you purchase them. It's up to you as the consumer to know what you're buying.

---
Greatest Shows of All Time.
Avatar: The Last Airbender, SWAT Kats, Sailor Moon, Tetsuwan Atom 2K3, Transformers, Spiderfriends
#29SeltoxPosted 3/17/2013 10:13:20 AM
This happens in pretty much every single subscription based service on the planet.

Also, it's up to you to read the Terms & Conditions that you agree to. Most people don't read them, but they really are informative. They HAVE to tell you about everything that they are going to do, everything they can & will do with your information, etc. These are the places where companies put in clauses to protect them from legal action if they screw up.

T&C is very very important, and if you didn't read it, you can't complain about anything that happens to you.

What basically happened in this case is someone asked you to sign a contract that says "We're allowed to debit your account every month" and you signed it. Why did you sign it if you didn't want it? It's totally on you.
---
PSN: Seltox
#30HughJorgennPosted 3/17/2013 10:13:31 AM
GeneralFrings posted...
Actually this was my fault and I am responsible for this happening. I am sorry to have wasted time making this topic . I will lock it.