This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've put up with Microsoft's bull **** before, but this is a new low.

#51The DevourerPosted 3/17/2013 10:46:09 AM
It's at least better than the one app I downloaded once which was a one time purchase that they later decided to turn into a subscription service for a month, week or year. And if you had already purchased the app they kicked you to the subscription without a word so you had no idea (even though purchasing the app at the time was supposed to be those benefits for lifetime, lol they changed it and did that).

I think they should let you know, but it's not all that bad since it's right in the options and easy to see... something like what happened to me? Not so much.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#52ChezDispenserPosted 3/17/2013 10:46:28 AM
GeneralFrings posted...
No see I sill do not excise them, because they don't seem to me going out of their way to help people. And I hadn't looked into getting a refund yet, but I'm sure the majority of people who fall for this never pursue one, and that is what they're banking on to get their money.

You teetered on the edge of rationality before diving headlong into conspiracy theorists. I'm sure the majority of people don't fall for it because they keep a more careful eye on their money like responsible adults.

It is not anyone's job to manage your buying habits and your understanding of their systems but your own, especially since there's information on how to end auto-renew on your Xbox, on Xbox.com, and all the **** over Youtube.
---
Goddamn!
#53CapwnDPosted 3/17/2013 10:47:18 AM
Now I must be using a fake email? This is just getting silly.

I forget this board is run amok with M$ fanboys. I'm on your side you know, I've owned an Xbox for over a decade now.

What side? The side of blaming others for your own mistake? You signed up for it, you receive bank statements, and you recieve emails when the charge goes through.

So you're saying that people who don't agree in your misplaced blame are MS fanboys? Wait I forgot to complete the hipster douchebagness and replace the S with $.

Perhaps you should learn how to take responsibility.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#54JKSonicPosted 3/17/2013 10:47:38 AM
I don't feel sorry for TC at all. 1, you obviously weren't checking your account. 2, this is who 99% of services work, you buy a month and you're on auto-renew...it's your job to cancel before hand. 3, it's been this way for XBL specifically for a loooong time.

I should also add that something similar happened to me with AOL. Had a trial and they put me on autorenew and I was on for a YEAR...yes, a YEAR. During that period I never went over my account with more than a glance. Being that I never logged on to AOL either I called them up and tried to worm my way out of it and I was basically laughed up...understandably so.
---
https://www.facebook.com/AbstractedRealism (pinup and boudoir)
https://www.facebook.com/KulhaPhotography (families, scenery, etc)
#55Tarutaru0Posted 3/17/2013 10:50:23 AM
GeneralFrings posted...
So I bought a month of gold when I was home for Christmas break, and today on Spring Break I sign into my account to find I still have Gold. So I go look at my transaction history and apparently they put me on the automatic renewal plan, automatically without even telling me. Unless it was hidden somewhere in that giant wall of text you agree to.

How hard would it be to just send an email every month informing you that they've taken your money? This is just sad.

There is usually some text on the right and a checkbox for renewal, You are at fault.
Just take your time to read next time.
#56mmpepsiPosted 3/17/2013 10:50:43 AM
GGearX posted...
CapnStanky posted...
Both PSN and XBL turn on automatic renewal when you purchase them. It's up to you as the consumer to know what you're buying.

If it notified you, that would've been acceptable.

Nice thing about PS+ is that it not only notifies you when you redeem a free month that automatic renewal is being turned on, it also tells you how to turn it off.
#57thisnamerulesPosted 3/17/2013 10:53:59 AM
GeneralFrings posted...
So I bought a month of gold when I was home for Christmas break, and today on Spring Break I sign into my account to find I still have Gold. So I go look at my transaction history and apparently they put me on the automatic renewal plan, automatically without even telling me. Unless it was hidden somewhere in that giant wall of text you agree to.

How hard would it be to just send an email every month informing you that they've taken your money? This is just sad.

It may be different since I usually buy a year at a time, but they've always sent me an email warning me about the auto-renewals well ahead of time (about 6 weeks beforehand). The message went to the email address tied to my Live account.

You have to go in and opt out of the renewals if you don't want that to happen.

And I know it doesn't really matter because no one ever reads them, but this situation IS addressed in the terms of service.
#58ILikesCheesePosted 3/17/2013 10:54:25 AM
As others have said, this is old hat in the realm of Xbox Live.

Although Microsoft does indeed notify you of this in that "wall of text", it is a purposefully obscure marketing gimmick to snatch a few extra dollars out of the pocket's of unsuspecting customers.

Microsoft and it's fanboys defend this strategy by saying "You should be wary of what you buy, and read the fine print." Everyone else with a modicum of common sense sees through that BS. Search through this board and the Xbox.com boards for any thread containing the words "automatic renewal" to get the full history.

Your present situation leaves you with only two real alternatives:

1) Cancel the Live service now. Call Customer Service if you have to.

2) Dispute the charges with your credit card company, and have them remove the last two or three months worth of Xbox Live bills. Be forewarned though that doing so will put your Xbox account in purgatory, unable to return to Live until you pay them again. If your account or Live do not matter to you though, then have it.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#59CapwnDPosted 3/17/2013 10:55:13 AM
Nice thing about PS+ is that it not only notifies you when you redeem a free month that automatic renewal is being turned on, it also tells you how to turn it off.

When you read the email that MS sends upon entering a XBL membership code or auto-renew, it gives you a link to the MS website. The first line there is "Renew or cancel your membership"
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#60shawnmckPosted 3/17/2013 11:00:07 AM(edited)
This is not uncommon, so don't get your panties in a bunch...
All Companies do the exact same thing if you use your credit-card to purchase something that has a monthly plan, service, or product.
Buy some of the vitamins or other crap you see on tv with your credit card, and you will find that they charge you every month and send you a product or service ever month AUTOMATICALLY.
Even if you subscribe to a magazine or newspaper with your credit card, then they will automatically charge your credit card per monthly, bi-monthly, yearly, etc.

Stop acting as if this is somehow exclusive to Microsoft, when its not.